WIP chaps.

Started by RollingThunder, October 29, 2009, 09:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RollingThunder

In all the madness. In all the mayhem. In the wreck that is becoming my schedule, I squeaked out some time to make myself some chaps ... finally.

The stamp design is the same as my gunleather. The maker's marks will be on the inside reinforcements.

This is the leather matched up, two-toned deertan fringe from the hip plates, on chocolate brown body, with antiqued tan on the hip plates and the thigh and calf plates. Eventually I also reinforced the fringe attachment with spots at the two points. Brass fancy ones too!

Here it is glued on.

And sewn on with 4-cord right hand twist waxed poly. Big, thick, heavy and there is no way you break this stuff. Ain't nowhere near as perdy as linen, but it'll work, right?

And this is the booger-red buttons (as my good buddy and mentor Jack Baunmgartner calls them) that I'll use to secure all the leg plates, instead of snaps or zippers. This is an old school set of batwings that should look pretty good with my gunleather and my old Colt Navy hanging from the side. Not period correct by any means (they will be using chaps, not just shootin' chaps), but a little bit here and there. And very comfy.

Enjoy!
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Kid Terico

R T love the color. There starting to take shape. Keep the picts comming. KT

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RT,

Wow! Those chaps are really nice! I sure like your stamping design. I may have to copy it. Many thanks for sharing this with us
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

::) ;D Looking good RT, that border tooling looks sharp. ::) The color contrast is good looking too :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

Go ahead and stamp GunClick Rick across there and put a piece of turquoise under it..You'll have time to get them here just in time for Christmas ;D

Yep,thems nice :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

cowboywc

Howdy RT
Keep the pix coming. Great job so far.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Very cool chaps, Rt. That stamping pattern made to match your rig is a nice touch.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Well, your usual fine work there RT, really sharp! Thanks for the pics, which are excellent too.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Arizona Cattleman

Really fine looking pair of chaps.  Be sure to post a pic of ya waring them.

AZ Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Gun Butcher

Good looking chaps RT, but, like AC said we gots to see ya wearin' them to seal the deal ;) ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

RollingThunder

Working on it guys, but it gets dark here early by the time I get home. I'll try to shoot them this weekend. Get the pony out, saddle him up, and show them off proper.

Arizona Cattleman

Lookin forward to seein m.....

AZ Cattleman  :D
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

RollingThunder

Here are the finals. My daughter talked me into being an action model for her. She's really taking to photography. Might have to encourage that in my little 9 year old.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WOW, RT, your chaps came out great, and they really go good with your new gun rig, your Daughter did a dang good job of taking the pictures, looks like a family trait, the two tone light and dark browns compliment each other real well.  Thanks for the final look see.

I just have one question, who are you hiding from in this picture

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

RollingThunder

Well, I was supposed to be hiding from some bad guys. But truth be told, I was hiding from the horses.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

RT, I was going to say a Grizzly or the tax collector, LOL  ;D ;D ;D

tEN  ;) :D ;D

cowboywc

Howdy RT
The came out great.
Wonderful photography too.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Arizona Cattleman

RT, the chaps are great.....  The Pic's are a story in themselves.  Great Job!  ;D

AZ Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

RollingThunder

Thanks guys, i'll let tori know. She'll be pleased as punch.

Oh, and there ain't nothing that treacherous in my pasture. Tax colleector? Brrrrr. Sends a shiver down my spine!

Slowhand Bob

Really nice project, you done yourself proud and it looks like you and the daughter had a lot of fun with the photos.  Goodness, I cant even remember being that young anymore so bring on more of those action photos to help stir some memories.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com