recoil pad?

Started by will52100, October 29, 2009, 05:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will52100

anybody made a recoil pad before?  My trouble is that several of my rifles realy needs one, including one that needs a recoil pad and cheack rest.  I've got several spare ones that just won't fit.  Ones got an AK butstock and the other is a NWMP carbine, they both have odd shaped butt stocks compared to what I've seen for as pads for sale.  I've got a good idea on how to streatch and form the leather, but what about the padding for the butt?  I've got some closed cell foam, but is there something availible that would hold up to repeated recoil?  The foam I've got does a great job, it's flexable and springs back, but after awhile it stays deformed.  It was leftover tool box matting from crapman where you cut out the outline of the tool and it set down in it.

??? ???
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Dave Cole

You can use neoprene sponge rubber. You can get it from McMaster-Carr.Dave :)

Dalton Masterson

You can also use a cheap flipflop from walmarts shoe section. Much better than wearing the noisy things.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

will52100

Thanks, hadn't thought of a flip flop, mainly cause I never wear the things!

Thanks, should work great.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Will

I use high density foam rubber, for my pads, here is a link to the last one I made for my Sharps. It's about in the middle of the page.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,228.1450.html

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

will52100

very cool, and almost exactly what I have in mind.

Thanks

Biscuit Joe

I made this cuff over a limbsaver slip on pad.
Since this picture was taken I have relaced the cuff and now it lays flat .

will52100

Cool, thanks guys, gives me some ideas.

Ace Lungger

Will52100,
If you have a Dollar General store in your area, they have a very high denisty foam knee board, and you can make several pads out of just one!! That is what I use and it is super for taking the shock out of the recoil!
Hope this helps.
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

will52100

Foam knee board?  You mean like knee pads, or is it a mat?  Sounds like a good sugestion and I'll have to give it a try, thanks

Marshal Will Wingam

I've used knee pads called knee cushions. They're flat, 7" by a foot, 1" thick. Only cost a couple bucks at the hardware store.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

will52100

I~ll check them out when I get back stateside, sounds like a winner, thanks

Josh Dabney

Will52100

I have made a couple recoil pads from somethin called a "Grout Float"  It's a flat piece of rubber with a handle that is used when puttin the grout between floor tiles.  These are redily available for bout 3-4 bucks at Home Depot or Lowes in the Flooring department. 

I've only used it on .22LR's but it's a medium density rubber and should help soak up recoil on heavier calibers without bottoming out.

Josh

Ace Lungger

Will,
Sorry for the delay! Yes they are a flat high denisty form and are something like 12x14" , if you cannot find them, pm me and i will send you some.
Just let me know!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com