PC Peepsight for Uberti Henry

Started by Long Johns Wolf, October 23, 2009, 07:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Johns Wolf

Hello to the campfire: I need recommendations for a PC peepsight to be installed on the tang of my Henry for long-range side matches.
Any suggestions here, please?
Thanks.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Steel Horse Bailey

Gruss Dich, Wolf.

Have you considered a tang sight?  I recommend the Marbles versions, for their ability to be adjusted, but the Lyman versions are good too ... and (slightly) more authentic.  (I think Marbles didn't exist until the mid 1890s, but Lyman is only a year or 2 older - their first tang sight is for the 1894 Win.)

I have a Marbles Tang sight on my '92 Winchester (repro) and will be installing a Lyman on my Uberti 1866.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Long Johns Wolf

Howdy SHB,
I would love to install a tang sight. However, the tang sights I have seen here in the Eastern Side of the big pond do not seem to have a post long enough for the Henry, due to the drop of the butt stock.
Can you suggest a specific tang sight that is confirmed to work on an Uberti Henry? I could then order via internet
Thanks a lot and Frohe Weihnachten aus Deutschland!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy, Wolf!

Here's the same sight I have on my 1892, but made for the Uberti Henry:  from Midway USA
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=145246

I couldn't find a Lyman sight for the Henry at Midway; sorry.

Well, now I know why ... Lyman's website doesn't list one, so I guess the Marbles (at $120 + shipping) is the only one available.

I really like the Marble's version I have.

Frohe Weihnachten Aus Indianapolis!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Long Johns Wolf on December 17, 2009, 05:47:00 AM
Howdy SHB,
I would love to install a tang sight. However, the tang sights I have seen here in the Eastern Side of the big pond do not seem to have a post long enough for the Henry, due to the drop of the butt stock.
Can you suggest a specific tang sight that is confirmed to work on an Uberti Henry? I could then order via internet
Thanks a lot and Frohe Weihnachten aus Deutschland!
Long Johns Wolf

My Dear Long Johns Wolf  -
Sorry to be bringing up an older topic, but with your access to gunsmiths and machinists, you might be able to find a local affordable "shorter" tang site that fits correctly and looks correct. In that case, you would only need to have a small extension made that was correctly threaded to fit in the middle between the knurled "body" and the adjustable screw that is attached to the eyepiece.

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Sod Buster

Have you considered the replacement rear sight for the ladder that has a peep in it?
S & S Firearms has them.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/

Download the catalog and look at item HRAXX3 on page 29.
You can also get a Competition Front sight.

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Coffinmaker

Depending on where you happen to be standing at the time, a "peep" replacement to the ladder is not SASS legal.  A "peep" type sight may only be tang mounted.

Coffinmaker

Coffinmaker

LJW,

I would suggest a stop on Taylors & Co web site.  Look under accessories and sights.  While pricey, they do offer the "soule" type tang sight that is period correct for your application.  You may however wind up drilling and tapping an additional hole in the upper tang to mount the sight.

Coffinmaker

Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr

Long Johns Wolf

Thanks pards, that's very constructive suggestions.
I'll check out the Soule and Marble tang sight route alternatives although I like the "integrated peepsight" best. That option looks pretty functional.
On the other hand long range shooting with the Henry is a sight match. "SASS legality" might not be such an important issue, right?
Long Johns Wolf

Long Johns Wolf

Pards & Pardettes: from Germany best wishes for a
GUTEN RUTSCH, HEALTH & MUCHO DINERO!
Long Johns Wolf

Pettifogger

If you are going to shoot mostly long range, Marbles does make a sight with interchangeable staffs.  Scroll down the list and they have the part numbers for the Uberti Henry.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27447/Product/IMPROVED_PEEP_TANG_SIGHT

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I use a regular Lyman #2 tang site made for the 92/94/etc., on my Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy.  I noticed that Marbles uses the same product number for both the Henry & the 1866.  If you have access to someones #2 give it a try.  You might have to have the tang drilled, and a longer stock bolt located or made.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com