What Length of Swivel Knife do you use?

Started by JD Alan, October 17, 2009, 10:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

I've got a question about swivel knives. Ever since my stroke, I've had a difficult time dealing with my Henley swivel knife. It's a great knife, and works flawlessly, but I don't have the hand strength that I had before the stroke. It was suggested to me today that perhaps it's too tall for me now. The picture below shows its length at 3.75 inches, substantially longer than the standard Tandy knife pictured next to it.

So, how long is the typical swivel knife, if there is such a thing as a normal knife, or length? Can anyone suggest a knife of the same quality as the Henley in a shorter length?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

It looks to me like you still have some more adjustment left in your Henley, just loosen the screw and push the saddle down. If this still isn't short enough for you , try a Barry King, my Barry King is shorter, and it's a nice Knife, although I like my Henley a little better, but it's what feels good and works well for you that counts, try lowering the barrel on the Henley first and see how you like it. It appears you have a 1/2" adjustment left in it.

tEN wOLVES ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Kid Terico

JD I use a stolhman but its 3 -7/8 " long.

JD Alan

Wow, my powers of observation are stunning. I did not see that top adjustment, That shortened it up a little over 1/4 of an inch. The short Tandy still feels better height wise. I haven't had an opportunity to try that many swivel knives, but I sure do like the Henley's smoothness and blade. Thanks for that observation there 10 Wolves, and thanks Terry for sharing your experience 

Arizona Cattleman

JD, for me it was not so much the length, but the ability to grip the knife.  The new Stohlman with the leather handle solved that.

AZ Cattleman

PS. Same Cattleman, SASS wouldn't just give me just plain Cattleman when I joined.
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

JD Alan

I appreciate that observation Cattleman. Do you have the leather covered one, or the straight metal one? I've tried the leather covered one, and I find I prefer the barrell of the knife to be smaller around than the leather one. I guess I'll have to try one of the other Stolhman knives to see how it fits the hand.

The Henley is tall enough that I can't get enough downward pressure to cut as deep as I would like. With the shorter knife it's no problem, but comparing the Henley to the Tandy I have is like comparing a Yugo to a BMW.

In any event I will keep practicing and working on my swivel cuts.     

Marshal Will Wingam

You might need longer fingers, JD. ;D

Why don't you give Louis Henley a call and see if you can get a shorter barrel to replace that one. He makes 2" and 1 1/2" ones. If you're already at the shorter length, maybe he'd be able to make a shorter one yet.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

JD, when I was up in Sheridan, WY,  at Sheridan Leather Outfitters, they had a BKing knife on the counter, that was really short and slim. The price was good on it too, but it was shorter than what I wanted. You might check those out too.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

I picked up an email address from Chan Geer for Henley knives, and I sent an email out yesterday. I told them the length of the one I have, asking if they make shorter ones. Unfortunately I can't find any sort of website with their products. I'm really happy with how this knife operates, and I would love to have a shorter one. I bought this one on ebay, then bought a couple more blades from Henley.

I'm glad to hear they make different sizes. Thanks Marshall, you've made my day!  

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD here's the Henley web site, the prices have change, so they are more than is posted here, but you can get an idea, and like Will said they can probably make one to your liking.

http://gemosphere.tripod.com/GEMOSPHERE/Swivel_Knivesx.html

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, give him a call. His name is Louis and his son is Tony. 316-631-3545

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Thanks Marshall. I'll do that. I appreciate the contact info.

JD Alan

Thanks to 10 Wolves, and the info on the different sizes of the Henley knife. I'm going to order a shorter one today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com