BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Depending on the literacy of the person filling out the document, I have seen my great grandfather's name spelled Wadd, Wad, Watt, Wat ... well you get the idea ... but I think the stonecarver may have not had the best handle on the name ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

KidTerico

JD you should have quit while you were ahead.  ;) :D ;D ;D KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Forty Rod

Quote from: KidTerico on November 09, 2010, 01:38:37 PM

Aw c'mon, Kid.  The lady's a photographer, not a magician.   ::)
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

GunClick Rick

Quote from: KidTerico on November 09, 2010, 01:38:37 PM

Baaa haa ha...I printed that out,you look funny with bb holes all over your mug :D :D I'm runnin off a few more.. :D :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

Appreciate it guys, appreciate it  :P :P :P :P
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

GunClick Rick

I guess i better catch up with you and Curly Cole and go on a diet too,you guys are gettin skinny man..

I may loose wieght anyway,i got up with a 102 temp yesterday and feelin like moon poop..A little better today and woke up with sheets and pillow soaked man.Figured i might as well get up and fight it..I'm gonna go hit the couch now.. :-[ :-X

Floyd's cousin Vick Venom showed up yesterday~~Floyd was glad to see him... ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

JD Alan

I've been doing some carving practice; the skinny flower for a guitar strap, the other for a holster. I've carved a number of the flowers, which comes from an Al Stohlman book. The person I'm making the strap for picked that particular flower.

The holster is a first attempt. The design is adapted from a billfold design. There are a number of things I'm going to change

WC inspired me to do some practice, and Donna, the manager at the Portland Tandy has also been a help, though neither of them are responsible for any poor performance on my part. I appreciate their help.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

It all looks pretty good to me!

Wish you were doing the tooling and stiching on my holsters and not me ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Skeeter Lewis

KidTerico

JD you have really come a long way. I really like your carving. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

cowboy316

GOLLY GOLLY MISS MOLLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i step away for a few months to get my life in order and you guys are kicking out
some great work keep it up
ill have some pics up soon of a custom set of ladies buckeroo spur straps tonight
if things go right
Cowboy316

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice JD, WC will be proud of what you are doing, keep up the great work pard.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Arizona Cattleman

JD, Your really getting good at this carving thing.....I like the larger one, really nice job on all.  Keep it up.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Cliff Fendley

JD, your carving looks superb.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

santee

Way to go, JD!! Looks awesome.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

JD Alan

Thanks guys, you are very kind. I can point out what needs improvement, but to actually improve is another matter!

Skip, I understand the desire for your holsters to look good, but buddy this is not an easy craft to pick up. If it was think how many people would be spitting out leather goods. With that wood shop of yours I imagine cutting out a pattern from plywood was a snap!

I have a whole box full of "Almost holsters" that did not make the grade as far as I was concerned

Keep at it and it will come. Remember, we can't all be KT! 

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

I know I know ... I keep telling myself that ... but then I look at the three holsters I have from Will Ghormley, and it (the sewing) looks so good and uniform that It looks machine made ...

But I have accepted that I am probably going to remake these holster when I get better .... sigh ...

And I just copied the original patterns for the holsters, glued the copies onto the plywood with a little Elmers' Glue, and waited a day to cut them out on the bandsaw ... even took the spots for the spots to go onto the leahter and used the markers to make 1/64 " holes  .... so now I can just take some 1/64" brads and mark the holster loops to put the spots on ....

NCOWS #3403

Johnny McCrae

Howdy JD,

The Carving samples you posted are great! You can be very proud of your work. I'm looking forward to seeing a Holster with your carving on it. Many thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Chuck 100 yd

Very nice carving. I need to get started and learn that craft also.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com