BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Buffalo Chip

Howdy folks,
  Marshal ,Glad your hand is okay, and that Colt WWI edition is
sure something to drool over. Kimbers are sweeet aren't they??
  TW , that S&W has given me no problems whatsoever in two yrs
and almost 500rnds. The only semi that ever gave me a bit of trouble
is my A/O when the front sight went mia during a match. Here's the
rest of the picture......

WBC
(who needs to check out those alumagrips)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
--George Washington--

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on November 28, 2009, 03:28:29 PM
Yeah, that's a Kimber CDP, 4". Can't use it for SASS, but for everything else, outstanding. I've never had any problems with mags, feeding, or anything. If I was going to do it again, I'd buy the same thing. For SASS, I'd get another one of the Springfield Mil-Specs, which I'll do one of these days. Colt makes a beautiful replica of the WW1 1911 which I drool over now and then. http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q50-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

I'm glad to hear your Kimber works well for you, just goes to show you can't take heed to everything you hear, some of the folks I read about found that by using Wilson Combat mags. and one other I can't remember, that seemed to solve any mag. problem from coming back. the 1911 almost seems to have a Cult following, and it's been around for what seems forever, this will be my first, so I'm enjoying the hunt.

WBC, nice collection pard, you've been doing this for a while, they all look like good guns, so you like the S&W, I've also read good comments about this gun too, I'll take a closer look next time I'm in the store, thanks for posting your pictures, and your input.

Thanks Pards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice spread there, Chip. Thanks for the pic. Here's the link to the Alumagrips page. http://www.alumagrips.com/

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on November 28, 2009, 07:09:28 PMthe 1911 almost seems to have a Cult following, and it's been around for what seems forever, this will be my first, so I'm enjoying the hunt.
I went for years wondering why anyone would want one of those slab-sided things. Then I shot one.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on November 28, 2009, 08:50:02 PM
Nice spread there, Chip. Thanks for the pic. Here's the link to the Alumagrips page. http://www.alumagrips.com/
I went for years wondering why anyone would want one of those slab-sided things. Then I shot one.  ;D

Will, the first time I shot a 1911 was in the 60's, it was an old war gun that my friends dad brought back with him from WW2, it's funny, I was considered a pretty good shot at that time, and looked forward to trying this old war horse out, I placed a tin can out about 15 yd. and commenced firing, I couldn't come close, that gun would throw lead every where but where I wanted it. when we got back home, my friend told his Dad about my bad shooting and he laughed, he said he never could hit anything farther that ten feet with it, he said they made the early guns loose on purpose, so if they got dirty or muddy they would still fire, and there main use was real close in fighting. That made me feel better, and at that time took my desire to own one of these old guns away, then later on in years I started seeing all these new offerings, with tight actions and close tolerances, and it fired up the juices again, so here I am ready to go for it. LOL Like they say what goes around comes around. ???

tEN  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

That's Obama's new Vulture Czar,ve vill shhteal yur turkeeez :D
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Check the menu ;D~~iT WAS GOOD TOO!

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

So Rick did you have a Buffalo Burger ???

tEN  ;D

GunClick Rick

ABSOLUTLY,but they have a hell of a time flippin the meat with hoovs :D And i wouldn't Buffalo ya either ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Cool. Sounds like you're having a good time hoofing it around. Thanks for the pic.

RollingThunder

Just checking in ya'll. Been incredibly busy. We had an art director leave unexpectedly, and while I was in the middle of redesigning Gun Dog and Wildfowl magazines, I had to rebuild and re-layout from scratch much of this issue of Petersen's Hunting.

Haven't made a ton of leatherwork that I was able to get pictures of, so I thought I would post here.

I will say this, I'm getting a bit tired of the rejection notices from magazines for my poetry. I've tried quite a few, and have either heard nothing or I get some really terse replies, some of which lead me to believe they didn't even read my poetry.

Some of you guys have read my stuff. In all seriousness, and no smoke blowin' up my kilt, do you think it's all that bad?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Marshal Will Wingam

I've read your stuff and fine it enjoyable. I also know that some publishers are hard to break in with. I've had more rejections than acceptances. I remember trying to break in to some markets and getting piles of rejections. Most submissions aren't read. They get rejected long before that. It depends on how much room they have and how many articles to look over. Don't take rejections personally. They aren't meant that way. I finally made a reply slip with check boxes for the editors to simply check a box (accepted, not for us, not interested at this time - try again in the future) and send it back in the SASE. I don't know what the online equivalent of that is but maybe there is a way to make it easy for them to reply.

RollingThunder

Case in point. Here's what I received from RANGE magazine.

The rejection letter first. The submission was on October 13, and I just received an email back detailing the rejection, tersely, and then having the cajones to recommend I subscribe (which I used to be a subscriber through the agency for which I worked).

Roland:
Sorry, not for RANGE. You need to subscribe and see what we use and then send us what RANGE needs most. Great ranch stories. Good news.
You can call 1-800-RANGE-4-U (725-4348), M-F, 8-5 Pacific time and get a 5 for $20 deal (instead of 4 for $19.95)! We take VISA or MasterCard. Or you can subscribe on line at www.rangemagazine.com.
Thanks for your interest in RANGE.
cj

Then my response back, just wanting to clarify what in specific turned CJ Hadley off to my poetry.

Thanks for getting back to me, CJ. I appreciate it. Just curious, but can you clarify the reason why it's not for RANGE? If I read this correctly, it's due to the fact it is poetry, and not reported editorial. Would that be correct?

I'll admit it's been a couples years since I received RANGE, but I could have sworn you had published some poetry in  there.

Now, mind you, the advertising agency I worked for placed media for Redbrand Fencing in Range Magazine, and subscribed to the publication during that time.

So, it's not like I am totally unaware of what was in the publication.

So this is what I got back from CJ in response.

No. It was nice, but your cowboy language got a bit annoying and it's similar to a lot of poetry I receive from hundreds of cowboy poets who should know I seldom use poetry. Also, I have no staff working on editorial, your e-mail took a long time to read, it is 4 p.m. Sunday and I haven't many more to go, and you do not have enough respect for the publication to even subscribe.
Please note that I only publish quarterly and might use one or two poems a year. Also, each page in RANGE costs me $2,000 and there are many stories fighting for space on each page. You need to read RANGE. You need to offer what the editor needs, not what you want to share. If I got your $20, and about 10,000 more from poets like you, I could run more pages and use more poetry. Or a poet could pay $2,000 for a single page in RANGE and call it an advertisement (which actually costs $3,550 for a full page)!
cj

I was sort of like, "Wow. Beware of what you ask for."

So here was my reply.

Thank you for clarifying that for me CJ. Sorry this submission caught you in such an inopportune moment, as you appear to be having such a pretty rough stretch. I know how it can be in the publishing industry. I'm the art director for Wildfowl and Gun Dog magazines, and recently had Petersen's Hunting thrown in the mix when we had an art director quit. All my editors have quite the juggling act going on, and typically have only one shared associate editor with which to share the load on submissions, letters, product reviews, etc. I know the stress they deal with, and deal with alot of it myself ("it" all rolls downhill, right?) Those books combined run readership into the 4 million mark and they manage to keep the whole ball of wax rolling somehow to keep those folks happy. When you compare that to what you have to deal with, obviously with a much smaller staff, and a pretty tough field of coverage, well, my Bailey is off to you, sir. Well done.
Take care, and keep up the good fight. As soon as my next subscribed publication comes up for renewal (as an art director, I have several -- makes for a nice idea file), I'll let it lapse and send in the twenty for your book. Probably be 2011, as I re-up them for 24 months at a shot, and just renewed my last one in September.
Take care, and I sincerely hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

RT, I've read what you posted, and I've always found you to be an entertaining fella, it just might be that you caught this guy at a REALLY BAD TIME, and it was good that you pointed this out to him, this will/might give him time to reflect on what he said and how he treated you, listening to what he said in regards to your question, sort of tells me that he might be out of touch with his own magazine, and I think we've all seen that happen with other magazines in the past, some times the Publishers get so caught up in the money making process that they skip over things that could matter and help, Just hang in there pard, your writing is good, and you will find a publisher in time, DON'T GIVE UP, my folks had friends that were writers, and if they got a rejection from one company they just sent it to another, and in some cases just held on to stories for a year or two and try it again, it sounds like timing is everything.

Good luck with this, and keep us posted

Best Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

GunClick Rick

Read up on Harmony Ca.,wife and i went there over the holiday,i had no idea the history was that prevelent.When you buy Challenge butter,i guess this is where it originated.Did some xmas shoppin there,awsome hand blown glass and pottery and now a winery up on the hill.Hope i didn't get off subject too much..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony,_California
Bunch a ole scudders!

Gun Butcher

Well, I made it back in one piece again this year. Here are a couple of pictures of our fifth annual thanksgiving outing showing the whole crew. We cooked another turkey in the ground ,ate way to much and rode our socks off for 5 days. I don't ride a dirtbike anymore but as long as I can throw a leg over my ATV I will keep chasing this bunch every year.
Hope you all had a great holiday.
                                               Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gun Butcher ;D ;D

Looks like fun was had by all, you just can't beat a get together like this, thanks for sharing your family with us Pard. :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

GunClick Rick

You had way too much fun GB :) Way to hang 8)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a cool link, Rick. I'll have to head through there next time I pass that area. Thanks for the heads-up.

GB, nice pics. Looks like a good time. Dirt bikes can be a whole lot of fun.

White Buffalo Chip

Howdy GB,
     This 'turkey in the ground' ,can you describe
the process?? I've a guess, but I'd like to be sure.

WBC
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
--George Washington--

RollingThunder

GB, that looked like a blast! Good luck keeping up with the pups for many years to come pard!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com