BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowboy316

GB
very sweet rifle i love it id love to have you ake e one but ill never be able to afford soething that nice so ill just keep droolin
Cowboy316

Gun Butcher

Heck Cowboy that one went bye-bye about 8yrs ago and now I couldn't afford one :( :o ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Great looking lodge GB, I was invited to a rendezvous in 84, But I had to pass, I really wish I would have gone, it was in Montana, from what all my friend told me about them, it sounded like a great time.

Your rifle is a beauty too, nice work pard,I have a 1903-A3 Springfield 30/06 been working on it off in on since 1967, it was a work of love for me, and a great relaxer in those years, I need to get it out and finish it up, I have all this time on my hands now, don't know what to do next. How long did it take for you to go through your rifle from start to finish, I know it didn't take as long as mine, no body takes that long.

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

TW, I tend to have 5 or 10 projects all going at the same time. But that one was different. I was at home on a health forced vacation for about 3 mos. and all I did was work on the rifle. It actually took me five weeks from square block of wood to finished rifle.
The worst part or the two worst parts were building a new bolt handle and turning down the barrel to a nice taper. The old bolt handle was straight out to the side and would not allow a scope to be mounted and the old barrel configuration was stepped. After getting those things worked out chopping out the stock was no problem and I do love curley maple.
You can't see it to well but the bolt is jeweled. I found a website that showed how to make a fixture for jeweling bolts and built my own. It worked out great and the guy I eventually sold it to wouldn't take anything for it. I know because I have tried quite a few times.

I really miss all my old Pards that I use to rendevous with them was some shinin times.

Hey, don't tell anyone about that 1903, they might hunt you down. Them old tackdrivers are gettin scarce as hens teeth ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

GB, you did one heck of a job in that length of time, but I'm sure you know more about what you're doing than me, I picked out my wood from a gun stock Co. in town, years ago we didn't have to go far for anything gun related, but boy we do now, anyway I picked a nice piece of fiddle back walnut, and they inlet it and cut a thumb hole for me, this is the first rifle that was built to my length of pull, which is 15 1/2"  I had the barrel tapered and shortened, and had the bolt altered, and scope mounts put on it, it's glass beaded, and is supposed to shoot 2" groups at 200 yds. we'll see, I need to scope it, but every time I had the money for that something else took it, LOL, so I got bored and put it on hold for a few years/ quit a few years, but I will finish it, I cut the stock 90 degrees center line of bore, and put a nice butt cushion recoil pad on it, and that took 99% of all the harsh felt recoil out of it, I could shoot it all day with ease, but having a sight would be nice. This is an oldie, it was never shot when I bought it in 66 or 67, just like your action, they are very stout and strong. When I said it was built for me, this is what it is, a 15 1/2" pull left hand thumb hole stock, with a right hand bolt action, so hows that for a crazy custom rifle, us lefty's are some times forced to do weird things, but we will make it work.

Will only two more hours to go

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

GunClick Rick

Very very nice tipis my friend,the one i showed belongs to a good friend,mountainman Chuck Streeper,he used to live in the rockies for months out of the year for a long time.The would hang out at the mountainman museum in Pinedale Wyoming

Now how did you hual them poles. Chuck is gonna help me do one if i ever get the canvas,he says 18,easir to haul the poles...
Bunch a ole scudders!

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Dr. Bob

In my experiences with lodges, I found that an 18' was great to camp in and have several people in it.  I found that a 16' was a lot easier to put up and take down by myself.  Plus, the poles are that much shorter and easier to haul around.  Spent a weekend camped in the snow in one.  Woke up Sunday am and found 1/4 inch of sleet stuck to the canvass! :o ::)  But with the fire, we were nice and toasty warm inside! ;D  Truly shining times with great friends.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Gun Butcher

TW,working with my hands is the most relaxing thing I do,better than sleep most of the time ;) I think everyone around these parts would probably agree.  I"ll bet that fiddle back is pretty . Never had the chance to work with fiddle back walnut.  I have always been lucky enough to shoot from both sides ( some people say its proof positive that I am twisted ;D) so that left handed stock with right hand action wouldn't slow me down it might even work better. You will have to get a picture up for us .

Rick and Dr.Bob you guys are right on both accounts.  Hauling the poles without breaking the tips off was a chore. Had a special built trailer made from an old boat trailer with uprights about 10 ft apart. Course they hung over on both ends ,but as long as you had them roped together good and tight it worked
We always used ours at deer camp every year spent a couple of below zero nights in  it. Didn't get much sleep what with keepin the fire going but never got to cold :o :o ;D

Oh, one thing I might add . Make sure you use nothing but good dry wood for a fire inside the lodge. Popin and cracklin is a great thing outdoors but in the lodge it will keep you lookin for embers all the time.  I learnt that the hard way. Burnt a three foot hole in the liner one night. :o :o :-[   Also don't have any manmade materials in the lodge like a synthetic blanket. They don't burn but they do melt. Gets real ugly in a hurry

Marshal Will Wingam

Cool pics, GB. It's nice to see where your namesake. That's very good work. I like that lodge, too. Way cool.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dalton Masterson

Nice rifle, GB! I am going to begin building up a GEW 88 into a sporter sometime this year, hopefully. I finally tracked down the last part I need, other than a full length stock and a spoon handle bolt. They will come in time tho. Wanting to make it into a turn of the century (1900) sporter, with the forened schnabel, spoon handle, express style sights, etc. And keep it in low pressure 8mm. ;)
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

We went out to go see a movie tonight (Avatar) but the theater was sold out. The parking lot was full, too. Instead, we went to Target and bought the remake of The Manchurian Candidate. It was a good movie. Got to watch it with a dog resting his chin on my leg, too. Much better that way.

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

For all those that have the western channel, "Have Gun Will Travel " is on for 24 hours today, then tomorrow it's " Gun Smoke "

Just a heads up, love these shows

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

We rented the whole series of Have Gun Will Travel one time through Netflix. It was really great to watch all those old episodes. Those stories were some of the best. They'd still make good stories for TV today. I've often thought it would be fun to see someone remake that whole series.

Dr. Bob

Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ned Buckshot

Anybody know where Ace is? Havn't seen him in these parts for awhile?

I miss his hide!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Ace Lungger

Howdy Ned, :)
Things havn't been the best for me >:( >:( About 3-4 weeks ago, I thought my back was getting a little better, then my Dad had eye surgery and I have had to take care of him, and all the up and down and running around has put my back to just KILLING ME >:( >:(
It has been cold for us, not cold like where you live, but cold here. Today is the only day that I have felt like being on the net, and that is because my pain meds are working a little!! We got 3 new inches of snow last night, we have about 18" on the ground, and they say it is going to snow all week  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Thanks for thinking about me!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ned Buckshot

Just hopin' you were OK Ace.

I've been down for a couple of days myself, mostly in bed feeling sorry for myself. ::)

Ya it's cold here!  -29 this morning when I got up! ??? Supposed to get up to -5 though so I guess it's a heat wave comin! ::)

Take care of yourself and stay out of the cold, that's what I plan on doing.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

Ned and Ace, I feel for both of you. I'm still fighting back pain from a hospital stay 9 months ago. It's as aggravating as it is painful.

When I read about you guys with the snow and cold, it makes me feel a lot better about the amount of rain we get here in the Portland Oregon area. We got about 3 inches of snow one afternoon last week, but it only lasted a day. Snow is a rarity around here. We normally get one or two dustings a year, though this time last year we had 16 inches that lasted better than a week. The forecast for the next week is rain with the temp in the mid to high forties. That's very typical for this time of year.

Last Saturday I was able to go out to the range with some buddies and have an impromptu six stage match within a couple of hours by word of mouth 13 people showed up to shoot. It was clear and about 38 degrees.

It was amazing to see how many people were missing the targets with their hand guns. Man oh man we were all rusty! Our hands were so cold we were all bobbling shotgun shells. Still, it was great to be shooting.

Stay warm guys! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com