BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joec

Here is one that Cliff Fendley is doing for me. Now I didn't want a lot of carving other than a border stamp. The holster is stamped somewhat like an original that was made in Cheyenne Wyoming circa 1885-1895 by F.A. Meanea. He made the stamp on the inside of the border stamping to match the original as close as he could. This will be dyed using a walnut so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I have no doubt it will be as I picture it in my mind as he found the border stamping exactly like I wanted.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Marshal Will Wingam

Lookin' really good, Joec. Cliff is doing a bang-up job. It'll be fun to see the finished photos.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

joec

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on April 30, 2011, 12:05:11 PM
Lookin' really good, Joec. Cliff is doing a bang-up job. It'll be fun to see the finished photos.

Yes I'm beginning to believe we might of been related in a previous life. I told him what I my taste was and then left it pretty much up to him. He has nailed it so far.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Bill LOGAN

joec
Beautiful work, it is very promising, made benefit us photos when he(it) will be ended

GunClick Rick

This will skunk "em" ;) First one to make me one of these wins ;D ;D ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

joec

Quote from: Bill LOGAN on April 30, 2011, 02:28:39 PM
joec
Beautiful work, it is very promising, made benefit us photos when he(it) will be ended

I will do as he will probably dye it today or tomorrow. Here in Kentucky the weather hasn't been much help though the last two days have been no rain for a change.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

alaskapacker

I just finished a new holster for my FA. I carry it all the time around town under a jacket, vest or loose shirt as well as on horseback and hiking. It rides close and tight and you actually forget a chunk of steal that heavy in hangin' on your side.

This was my first honest attempt at stamping, so I went for a simple, old-fashioned border. I did not know how to get the lines, so I used a stitching groover, then used the wedge-end of a pear-shaped shader stamp (I think that's what it is called) to soften the edges of the groove. Unorthodox, but it worked.

I don't dye, I use a stain that I add to neetsfoot oil. More stain and less oil gives a darker tone. Also, after forming and boneing the wet leather around the gun, I like to oil just barely before the leather is completely dried out through-and-through. This gives me a slightly marbled affect to the coloring that I find appealing. I then finished the whole thing with a water-based leather finisher out of tandy and hand buffed it.

There's no stoppin' a man who knows he's right and just keeps on comin'.

joec

My kind of holster and love the color Alaska. I really like the black and brown together too.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Jayhawker

I lucked(?)  into a bunch of horsehide and have been working with it for a couple of months...the stuff is dense and hard to dye, but it molds well....makes a pretty decent holster...I started out to make some simple working cuffs, then I decided to "fancy" them up a bit....did I go overboard?  anything else they need?  Constructive criticism welcome...

Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

alaskapacker , nice work, and your choice of tooling stamps is just right in my book, not over done at all, the color looks great too, and finish gives it a nice look, thanks for sharing this with us, and good to see you back.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dave Cole

Rick, very cool, and although I'm not even setup to attempt one of those, I do know someone who is and his actually shoot.Dave

some of Bruce Bumps work

Rossmaker

Here is a Money belt and West Texas holster rig I just completed. Dyed it a dark brown and added a few antique silver spots and concho to dress it up a little.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them." (John Wayne, the Shootist)

GunClick Rick

Wow Dave those are narly!! The one i am showing is actually a fire starter,it's hard to see it but right in front of the flint holder is a little tinder box,when ya strike the flint it starts your char cloth and whatever :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Rossmaker, another nice piece of work, I like it, good style and good looking money belt too, well done pard, and thanks for the look see. ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

TwoWalks Baldridge

JoeC, that is a really nice belt and holster Cliff is doing for ya, like others, I really look forward to the finished product.

Alaska Packer, Jhawker and Rossmaker ... outstanding work one and all.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

KidTerico

Alaskapacker  Jayhawker  Rossmaker  nice work. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

GunClick Rick

Those cuffs are missing one thing,,,,,,MY ARMS :) ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Marshal Will Wingam

Alaskapacker, that holster is nice. I do like the color. Very good work.

Jayhawker, those cuffs look good in the two-tone. Very nice job on those.

Rossmaker, that's a very fine rig. Good job on the West Texas style and money belt. Looks good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Alaskapacker, Jayhawker & Rossmaker, 

Nice looking work you Gents have posted. Many thanks for sharing it with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Boothill Bob

Howdy pards.
Very beautiful work u have posted pards.
I'm working on a SlimJim for my Remington, using a pattern from Will Ghormley. I have never made this carving before, so I
want to ask u if Its someting I have to think of when and if I will make one in the future?
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com