BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Gun Butcher on December 03, 2009, 08:16:21 PM
;D Marshal, I forgot that you live in a state that likes to burn down on a regular basis so yea rule one and two for sure  :o ;)  It was a 10 lb bird and you can stuff or not to your own liking.  Just remember to get your hole deep enough to have about 8 in. of coals over the top of the bird and keep a steady but not to big fire going on top all the way thru. Works best with good hard wood like Oak so that you have plenty of good hot coals. :)

Nice shootin iron Dave, you made a good trade.

GB, what is the cooking time on a turkey cooked like that, what are the minutes per pound you must have a minute per pound I'm sure, you wouldn't want to be digging the bird up just to check the temp, being in the meat business as long as I was , I'm just interested.

Sounds really good

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Gun Butcher

TW, I don,t think we ever actually had a minute per pound rule. We did a 10lb  about three times and found about 4 hrs to be the best. Did one 15 pounder and cooked it for 6 hrs and it came out real good. So 2 hrs per 5 lbs seems to be about right.
We did one 8 lb bird,the first one, and for some reason we decided on 5 hours. It was still edible but the top was burnt. Thats when we decied we had to much fire on top and a little to long on the cooking time.  Course my Pard Sam says if ya never burnt somethin then ya never cooked. ;) ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ace Lungger

Dave,
That is a super nice looking smoke wagon you got there! I like the Great westerns, I have owned a couple my self!! They also were in 44 special, the only reason I got rid of them is because I down sized on the calibers I reload! Thanks for the kind words on my rifle.
Later
ACE
Sorry Dave about addressing this post to GB. Most of the time I post to the wrong person. Just shows you how stupid I am!!!
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Forty Rod

Quote from: Ace Lungger on December 01, 2009, 05:42:55 PM
GB, It looks like you had a great time!!! I used to ride my ATV a lot, but not anymore. I bet that turkey was good they way you all cook it!!
RT, I havn't read any of your poem's, is there a place I can go read????
I went out today and shot the 1867 Remington rolling block that I built this summer. I had a friend of mine that called me and ask if I would go out to the range and help him site in his deer rifle, he is a good friend so i told him I would meet him out there. He had 60 miles to drive and I knew he would be late (he is allways late) so I loaded up the Rolling Block and headed out to the range.
I got the gate unlocked and set my shooting gear on the bench, set up some tagets and got the Rolling block out and put some lead down the range :) :), I could not believe it!! No adjusting was needed ;D ;D I must be doing something right.
I hope that you all enjoyed.

Now see?  That's what a rolling block is supposed to look like.  Great job, Ace.
Later
ACE

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Forty Rod

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on December 03, 2009, 08:24:30 PM
Howdy Dave,

Nice looking Great Western, it appears to be one of the earlier models, do you know how old it is, either way, it a nice find, you use see a lot of the 44 special's offered years ago. know you will have to get some gun leather for it, unless you already have some.

Oh my!  Alas and alack, wherever shall he find someone to make leather for his new iron?  Oh, Woe, oh woe!

:D      :D      :D      :D

Nice find.  I've owned two of them, but never a .44.  Mine were a .45 and a .357.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Gun Butcher on December 04, 2009, 05:44:01 AM
TW, I don,t think we ever actually had a minute per pound rule. We did a 10lb  about three times and found about 4 hrs to be the best. Did one 15 pounder and cooked it for 6 hrs and it came out real good. So 2 hrs per 5 lbs seems to be about right.
We did one 8 lb bird,the first one, and for some reason we decided on 5 hours. It was still edible but the top was burnt. Thats when we decied we had to much fire on top and a little to long on the cooking time.  Course my Pard Sam says if ya never burnt somethin then ya never cooked. ;) ;D

Thanks GB, I figured you had a sound method of cooking those turkeys.

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

I think I better quit posting, I seem to screw up everytime that I post!!!!! You all most likely think I am NUTS!!!! I hope everyone will except my apoligies!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dave Cole

No problem Ace, you ain't no more nuts than the rest of us.I'll be starting a rig for my new 44 as soon as I clear a few orders.I have three new bowies in process a couple of friction folders and two holsters to make before that will happen.Dave   :)

GunClick Rick

Hey Ace!!!!!! Don't do that !!!!!!! I'm still trying to do that knife sheath lacey thing!!!!!! I'll need ya!!!!!!

Runnin out on us huh !!!!!! boy i never !!!!!!!! get your leather poundin tiny hiney back in here soldier!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!! your the only reason  !!!!!!!!!!  my heart starts most the time !!!!!!!!!!!! I see !!!!!!!!!! and i think !!!!!!!!!! OH SH%T WHAT HAPPENNED !!!!!!!!!! DAMN !!!!! It's just Ace !!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Have a !%#@*)_(&^%#@%& Merry Christmas this year !!!!!!!!!! ACE!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D :D

(step away from that there trabby canth and cut down on the Pepsi) ;)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Gun Butcher

TW, I don't know if you can call our methods sound  :o it was sort of trail and error til we got the hang of it. Trying to err on the side of  well done but still edible :-[ ;) ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Gun Butcher on December 04, 2009, 01:52:38 PM
TW, I don't know if you can call our methods sound  :o it was sort of trail and error til we got the hang of it. Trying to err on the side of  well done but still edible :-[ ;) ;D

Gun Butcher, that's pretty much on line , I usually go about 25 min a pound at 325 degrees so your method works out to be the same thing, as long as you get a 165 degree reading in the thigh, you're safe , and the meat won't be over cooked, one of these Holidays when one of my neighbors is gone ill dig a whole in there front yard and give this a try, of course ill share some of the turkey with them, that's the least I can do. ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

tEN ;) :D ;D

Gun Butcher

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on December 04, 2009, 02:38:51 PM
    Gun Butcher, that's pretty much on line , I usually go about 25 min a pound at 325 degrees so your method works out to be the same thing, as long as you get a 165 degree reading in the thigh, you're safe , and the meat won't be over cooked, one of these Holidays when one of my neighbors is gone ill dig a whole in there front yard and give this a try, of course ill share some of the turkey with them, that's the least I can do. ;D ;D ;D :D ;D

tEN ;) :D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D 8)

Forty Rod

Quote from: Ace Lungger on December 04, 2009, 11:43:02 AM
I think I better quit posting, I seem to screw up everytime that I post!!!!! You all most likely think I am NUTS!!!! I hope everyone will except my apoligies!!
ACE

Hell, Ace, we know you're nuts.  That's why we treat you like family.  You fit in here like true kinfolk.  ;D

Even Trinity.  He's kinda like that funny uncle nobody talks about much, but they invite him to all the shindigs.  (OOOOOOOOOOOOO, this is gonna be painful!)

Ace Lungger

Thanks Pards!!!! :D
I just hate that sometimes my post don't make any sense! ::) ??? ::) ??? I allways know what I want to say, but most of the time my fingers type what ever they want to!! :)
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Dr. Bob

Ace,

None of us can pass the "makes sense 100% of the time" test!! ;D ;) ;D  Ya gots all of us for company!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Forty Rod

Quote from: Dr. Bob on December 04, 2009, 07:42:33 PM
Ace,

None of us can pass the "makes sense 100% of the time" test!! ;D ;) ;D  Ya gots all of us for company!

I've had to settle for about 1 out of 5 times...and I don't care.  I'm having fun.

Marshal Will Wingam

Nice pistola, Dave. It looks well-kept. You'll get good use out of that. 44 spl is a good caliber.

Thanks for the tips, GB. I'll do a turkey like that one of these days.

Quote from: Ace Lungger on December 04, 2009, 11:43:02 AMYou all most likely think I am NUTS!!!!
Of course you are. It's required on this forum. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dr. Bob

Ace,

Marshal Will says you have met the requierments to be a member of this here forum!  Be proud.  I am!! ??? :o :D :D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ace Lungger

Dr Bob,
You all are my family!!!! Life without Cas City would SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! :( :( Without you guys as my friends I wouldn't have a whole lot of things to live for!! I know that sounds terrible, but the truth is the truth!!!Everything I used to do is out of reach for me, and I can see that I could just crawl in a hole and stay there, but I have you all, and I can tell everone that I live for this group of people!!!! TW, JM,WC,KT, all have helped in me just having a life!!! It would be so easy just to give up, but because of you all I get up every day and plug along!! I love looking at all the stuff that gets posted. We have the best group of people that there is, right here!! I have been on a lot of forums, and this is the only forum that excepts people for who they are!!!! My goal is to meet some of you all, I don't know when or how, but someday maybe!!
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Ace,

We all need to thank you also. You have been an inspiration to all of us. You have hung in and overcome obstacles that would stop a lot of people in their tracks. You have taken the time to learn leather working and the work you turn out is great.

It's always a genuine pleasure to read your posts and view your work. Please keep em' coming Pard.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com