BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Nice work Swifty! You did a great job of laying out the design.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Range Gypsy

Ok here goes. 
I have been "lurking" here for a couple of weeks, looking through the first thread (still only half way through ) What a great source of info and inspiration! I have already learned so much.  I started this leather thing when I got into SASS and needed a rig. With nothing to go buy but photos and no knowledge of leather work I came up with this. It has seen a lot of use and I think I am ready for a new and improved rig.

Thanks for looking
Range Gypsy

TwoWalks Baldridge

Gypsy that is a beautiful rig and pretty darn amazing for something you did without experience and only pictures.  I can't wait to see what you do for your next one.  Welcome to the forum ... There are some pretty amazing and talented folks here that are very willing to offer help.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Range Gypsy  ;D

Welcome to our forum, we're happy to have you join in with us, my words echo what "TwoWalks" Baldridge said, you have a good start, we look forward to seeing that new rig, and feel free to ask all the question you want, we also have a FAQ/HOW TO THREAD that will be very helpful to you and answer a lot of questions that have been answered in the past, and full of great methods .

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Range Gypsy,

Welcome to the Leather Shop. Two Walks and Ten Wolves expressed my sentiments exactly.

The neat thing about making your own Leather gear is when someone asks where you bought your Rig, you can answer with pride "I made it myself".

We look forward to seeing your future projects.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: Boothill Bob on March 06, 2011, 11:37:22 PM
Tosweden Cliff?? I havent order one;-) Nice to hear that u sends holsters to My county to. Cant wait to see it, were in swenden?

Yes sir I do, I have some knife collectors in Sweden as well as sent some gun rigs there. This particular one is for a knifemaker and he will be making his own knife to go with it.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Boothill Bob

Thats nice Cliff. Hope I will send some of my work to outher countrys to some day.
My friend Reb here at the forum has helpt me alot, as thanx I'll gona make him a double
HOG rig. He is an amazing pard.
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Boothill Bob

Oh, sorry..... Welcome to the forum Range Gypsy, thats a mighty
fine rig :o
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Wolf Tracker

Haven't been able to get on the forum for a few days and I see I missed quite a bit.

Howdy Range Gypsy- Welcome to the forum. That is a very nice rig you made for yourself. Hope to see more of your work.

Swifty I like your Derringer holster. That is a neat design.

Irish Dave That is a very nice holster. Whoever wins that will bve very lucky.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

KidTerico

Range Gyspy thats some darn nice work for just starting out. It took me 10 years to get that good and I,ve only been doing it for 5 years.  ;D Welcome and keep it up. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Wiley Desperado

swifty, I like that flap derringer holster idea very good leather work.

Range Gyspy, you are a fast learner good job on your rig.

Jayhawker

New here...just getting back into my leatherwork since I left the working life behind...this was my first large project...

I'm doing all my stitching by hand and I hope it improves a bit as I work...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Wiley Desperado

Well Jayhawker if you're new here let me welcome you to the forum and say howdy to ya pard.  From looking at that fine rig you made you are certainly not new to leather working.  We look forward to seeing more of your craftmanship. 
Wiley

Jayhawker

Thanks for the compliment....and the welcome...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Range Gypsy

Thank you all for the kind words.  Here are picts of number two.

I made this one for a friend. It is made for a Schoffield . I tried my hand at carving this time. The maple leaf pattern is OK  ( I adapted it from one in an Al Stholman book ) but I can't get the depth and contrast I would like.  I should have either lined the holster or used heavier leather. I think it was 7-8 oz ? Not as stiff as my rig but I learned a lot.

He wanted it to remain light so I used a spray  - Fiebings Saddle Lac as recomended by my local leather shop. I don't like the shiny finnish but it seems to protect it from stains OK. Maybe I shoulda used a wax? Any sujjestions? I was worried any treatment would darken the leather. Of course it has turned more golden over time. This was done last spring. Any info on keeping leather light?

Thanks
Range Gypsy

Missouri Half Breed

Ijust love a woman withh a schofield  :) your work is great wellcom to the fourm and keep posting
Missouri Half Breed
your a daisy if you do

Missouri Half Breed

Jay harker ya do it like an old pro wellcome to the thread and keep posting
your a daisy if you do

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Jayhawker,
Welcome to the Leather shop. That is a real classic looking Rig. Very nice work!

Howdy Range gypsy,
Number Two turned out great! You are doing well. You might want to try Skidmore's Leather Cream for a final finish.
http://www.skidmores.com/index.htm

KidTerico

Jayhawker nice work your showing and good to have you on board. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Jayhawker , nice rig, your stitching will improve with everything you sew, you did a good job on this, especially for it being your first large project, keep them coming pard, we'll look forward to seeing what you do next.

Range Gypsy , nice holster and your carving came out nice too, as Johnny McCrae suggested, you can use Skidmores Leather Cream by itself and get a great finish, and it will also protect and put life back in the leather, great stuff, I've been using it for several years now, and use it as the last step in finishing all my work.

It's good to have both of you with us and thanks for sharing your work

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com