BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Howdy KT,
Wow! Another example of your awesome talent for design and creativity! Everything you make keeps getting better and better!
Many thanks for sharing your art with us.

Howdy Rossmaker,
Welcome to the Forum. Ten Wolve's comments expressed my sentiments exactly. Thank you for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on February 12, 2011, 06:56:46 AM
Just finished this one for a Lady Shooter. It was immersed in Home Brewed Walnut Dye for three hours followed by four coats of Neet's Foot oil and three coats of Skidmore's Leather Cream.

Question for Johnny or others that have used the walnut home brew.  How much of the stamping depth do you lose soaking the leather for 3 or 4 hours?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I've gone seven days in my natural walnut dye, and once dry there wasn't any lose of stamp impressions, you have to let the leather dry. I also do not dye until my leather has dried from my tooling or stamping, I use/make my dye much stronger now, and can get great results in a matter of a few hours, you can vary the the tone and depth by the length of time you leave your leather in the dye, and also by the amount of coats of oil you use when doing your finishing, these are all variables that play into using natural dyes, check out our FAQ/HOW TO thread at the top of the board, once opened go to old time dyes, there you will find a lot of information on this subject.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

KidTerico

Rossmaker welcome aboard, nice looking rig, KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on February 14, 2011, 09:19:40 AM
     I've gone seven days in my natural walnut dye, and once dry there wasn't any lose of stamp impressions, you have to let the leather dry. I also do not dye until my leather has dried from my tooling or stamping, I use/make my dye much stronger now, and can get great results in a matter of a few hours, you can vary the the tone and depth by the length of time you leave your leather in the dye, and also by the amount of coats of oil you use when doing your finishing, these are all variables that play into using natural dyes, check out our FAQ/HOW TO thread at the top of the board, once opened go to old time dyes, there you will find a lot of information on this subject.              tEN wOLVES  :D

Thanks TW.  I am really big on the idea of natural dye, so am trying to learn all I can about them.  This information really helps.

TwoWalks
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Two Walks,
I learned how to make and use home brewed Walnut Dyes from Ten Wolves. His reply is right on the money. I also have never experienced any loss of carving or stamping impressions. As TW mentioned, wait until the leather has dried from the stamping and carving process before you immerse the part in the dye. What I like about this process is that you end up with an even and  permanent color that will not rub off on clothing etc.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Boothill Bob

I wich I could come over som hulls, its hard in Sweden. :-(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Wolf Tracker

KT   that is an amazing rig. Your creativity is endless. I'm sure your daughter must love it.

Rossmaker  that is also a very cool holster. It looks great with that six shooter.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

KidTerico

Wolftracker and everyone else thank you for your comments. KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

WaddWatsonEllis

Don't think I posted the finished product on this thread ....

The holster and holster belt were created some time ago ... and then I made a matching 'SASS' style shotgun loop belt ...

I just sewed  a 9-10 oz X 1/2" wide 'shelf' above the spots on the shotgun belt so that the cartridges would sit on the ledge of the shelf and keep them up high where they could be pulled quickly ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Wad , that looks real nice pard, you did a good job, I think you're getting the hang of this, keep up the good work.

tEN wOLVES  ;)
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

WaddWatsonEllis

Doin my best 'Wallace Beery'

'Wull, Gee, thanks!

I have a couple of ideas to go along with this ... matching cvowboy cuffs and Spur straps ... complete with spots ... all that will be missing is a neon light that says 'Dude' ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: WaddWatsonEllis on February 14, 2011, 07:02:26 PM
Doin my best 'Wallace Beery'

'Wull, Gee, thanks!

I have a couple of ideas to go along with this ... matching cvowboy cuffs and Spur straps ... complete with spots ... all that will be missing is a neon light that says 'Dude' ...

Wad, you can give Kid Terico a run for his money, but I think the Kid will still win, but you can have a little fun trying. after all the Kid is the "KING OF BLING "

GunClick Rick

This is one i had made about 4 years ago becuase it reminded me of Wallace Berry

http://www.cochiseleather.com/images/view.aspx?productId=2792
Bunch a ole scudders!

WaddWatsonEllis

NCOWS #3403

Rossmaker

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback!!  ;D ;D ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them." (John Wayne, the Shootist)

Rossmaker

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them." (John Wayne, the Shootist)

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice sheath, Bill. nice finish work. Looks particularly nie with that knife.

Johnny, the CAS/NCOWS rig is really good. Nice to have it versatile like that. Good work.

Beautiful rig, BB. The color is deep and rich. Great job on the money belt. Excellent work.

KT, that rig for your daughter is really something. Bling is right. She should love that. Good job, there, most suitable for a lady.

Rossmaker, that rig is great. Very nice work. The West Texas Rig is another fine one. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Wad, that completed rig is done very well. You really did it right. Darn nice job.

Welcome to the forum, Rusty. Looking forward to your posts.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dave Cole

Let me be the first to congradulate two of my best friends Kid Terrico and John Cohea for winning awards in the "KnifeDogs Choice Awards for 2010".KT won for best leatherwork and John won for best tomahawk.I won for best folder but I am very happy for my friends as they both do quality work.Way to go guys.Dave ;D

Forgot to add that another CAS member and my friend Josh Dabney won the award for best new maker.Congrats bud

Ned Buckshot

Good job boys, ya'll deserve that and much more!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com