BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Fendley

Thanks guys.

Ten wolves, I dyed the rig with Feibings saddle tan oil dye and after dry rubbed some of the antique gel from Tandy on it until I got the color/aging I wanted. Finished in off with Bag Kote. I did a rig like this a while back and that's what everybody is wanting right now. Must be the flavor of the month :D I'm finishing another one the same color but he says it can be a little darker. Will see how it comes out.

I kept it pretty simple since that's what the customer wanted. I buffed the brass buckle to remove the clear coating so it should age for him over time.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on January 23, 2011, 08:28:46 PM
Thanks guys.

Ten wolves, I dyed the rig with Feibings saddle tan oil dye and after dry rubbed some of the antique gel from Tandy on it until I got the color/aging I wanted. Finished in off with Bag Kote. I did a rig like this a while back and that's what everybody is wanting right now. Must be the flavor of the month :D I'm finishing another one the same color but he says it can be a little darker. Will see how it comes out.

I kept it pretty simple since that's what the customer wanted. I buffed the brass buckle to remove the clear coating so it should age for him over time.

Well Cliff, I can see why your customers would like it, and it's just a little different than the norm, which also makes it stand out, Like my wife tells me, which helps keep me in line, here goes, " LESS IS MORE " some times less is just the ticket to a piece of work and really make it special, if done right, too much can take away from the total picture if over done, if that makes any sense. be sure and post a picture of your next rig, you say it will be a little darker, can't wait to see it. We can't get the oil dyes here in California any more, so I've turn to making my own natural dyes, which have been working well for me, but I would sure like to have the option, your color looks really nice, and the antiquing just finishes it off.

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Cliff Fendley

I like the color OK but to be honest it's a pain to do, a ton of hand rubbing that gel around and in the carving and then rubbing it off until you get it even or aged/antique look you want.

I discovered the combo accidentally when a rig I made a while back didn't stain as dark as I wanted. I wasn't sure I could duplicate it but I did pretty close. I'm not guaranteeing anything to somebody wanting it. I told them I would get as close as I could.

It looks like the other one has came out close too and maybe a little darker on the holsters like he asked. I'll get some Bag Kote on it and finish it up tomorrow and post some pics.

Johnson County Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the link, Dave. Rick, that mosaic really is astounding, eh?

Rossmaker, That rig is nice. Clean. Santee is right, the conchos are just right for it.

Nice sheath, Chuck. That color works well on it. It'll look good with the rig.

Cliff, that jockstrap rig is a winner. I also like the amount of border on it. Very well done.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Dave Cole

Nice looking sheath, Chuck.Cliff beautiful rig.Dave

Skeeter Lewis

Nicely done, Cliff. I like those jock-strap holsters and they just creep into our period. That era when the west was changing is real interesting in its own right. Skeet

Johnny McCrae

That is one good looking rig Cliff! Neat and clean with great workmanship! Your customer should be well satisfied. Thank you for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Rossmaker

Great sheath chuck! Very clean and sharp looking!!!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them." (John Wayne, the Shootist)

Cliff Fendley

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on January 24, 2011, 02:26:00 AM
Nicely done, Cliff. I like those jock-strap holsters and they just creep into our period. That era when the west was changing is real interesting in its own right. Skeet

Thanks Skeeter and it is interesting as you see the transition in style. This early 20th century style of S.D. Myres you could say is kind of the predecessor to the Tom Threepersons and later the Jordon border patrol and other law enforcement holsters with the forward cant. That's why I called this pattern law dog on my website.

Johnson County Rangers

Wolf Tracker

Chuck. Very nice sheath. I like the scallopped edges.
Cliff. That is a real nice rig. That color is beautiful.
A man, a horse, and a dog never get weary of each other's company.

Cliff Fendley

Ok, I got the other rig done. The lighting was messing with me and I was getting a lot of reflections as everything is snow covered here. The sheath is slightly lighter than the holsters but not like the picture shows. I tried to get a pic of the knife but the mirror polished blade was reflecting.

Johnson County Rangers

Arizona Cattleman

Nice rig Cliff, very well done and the color is great.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Kid Terico

Cliff thats a outstanding rig. Great work. Thanks for showing . KT

Marshal Will Wingam

Another good one, Cliff. Good color, just the right border tooling, classy rig. Thanks for the pics. The one of the knife came out fine.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Cliff Fendley

Thanks fellas, I'll try to get better pics of it before it leaves. I've been trying get some decent photos of everything I send out cause I want to get my website updated as soon as we can find time.

Johnson County Rangers

GunClick Rick

Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Cliff, it really came great, good job on the toe plugs too, talk about snow, we had 76 degrees today.

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Cliff, I love it. Great color and model. The toeplugs are very nice. Good work pard.
//BhB
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Missouri Half Breed

hear is a rig i did for my son and his 58s
your a daisy if you do

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Looking good Missouri Half Breed, bet your son is a happy pard for sure, very nice . ::) :o 8) ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com