BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Bob

Kewell!!  Thanks for the opportunity to see our national bird!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

JD Alan

Well, it looks like this thread is going to the Birds! My wife took this within walking distance of our daughter's house, about 8 miles from our house.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Marshal Will Wingam

Dr Bob, this guy is a turkey vulture.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Forty Rod

I guess vultures, including Condors, are neat birds but they look like a nightmare from hell.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Curley Cole

Here are a couple of my favorite pelican shots from Pizmo Beach. There were hundreds of them there during that trip.
If you want to see more go to my web page:
http://sdough.smugmug.com

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks for the pics, JD, Curley. Birds are fascinating. The Pajaro Valley, where Watsonville is situated and I'm on the edge of, was originally called Bird Valley because there were so many birds.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

That's a good size Turkey Vulture Will, we had one down the street the other day working over a dead squirrel, boy are they big. 8)

tEN  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

They are big, for sure. All the books I've seen say turkey vultures are brown with the red head. Ours around here are almost black with a red head. Without them, we'd sure have a lot of carcases lying around. They like the sail squirrels around here. ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Ours are the same Will black with a red head, maybe there is a difference in them depending on what part of the country they're from, I use to see them all the time on my way home from work, I use to drive through the Santa Monica Mountains, they were alawys in abundance there.

Question?  I'm thinking about getting a 1911, if I were to get one with the ambi safety and a few other refinements, would it be OK for the Wild Bunch stages, I'm looking at the Springfield Armory 1911 LOADED, model, being left handed this one looks like it would suit be pretty good, it comes with the ambi safety. What do you think? ??? :-\ ::)

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

They allow the ambi safeties in the modern category. For traditional, you need more of a 1911A1 type. For WB, remember to get a 5" bbl or you won't be able to use it. Here's a link to the rules: http://sassnet.com/EoT/wildbunch.php

I had one of the Springfield Mil-spec 1911s loaded with the parkerizing and it was a very good shooting gun. I did have to relieve the ejection port slightly to be able to eject a live round without shaving the tip of the bullet off. That thing shot accurately and never gave me any grief. I'd recommend one highly. I got rid of it because the barrel was too short for WB. When I got mine, Mil-specs were available with 3, 4 and 5 inch bbls. I've been thinking of getting one of the A1 replicas one of these days. I guess I'm just a traditionalist. I have a Kimber with the ambi safety. I got it thinking that would be really useful but unless I'm shooting left-handed, it isn't any advantage. I do shoot left handed now and then, so it is helpful occasionally.  If you're a leftie, by all means don't get one without it.

Here are the mil-specs. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Will, I appreciate the information, and the links, I've always wanted a 1911, I think with the ambi safety I'll be a happy camper. Even if I don't shoot the Wild Bunch.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Remember, now. If you get one, (a) make a holster and (b) post pics. ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on November 27, 2009, 05:55:32 PM
Remember, now. If you get one, (a) make a holster and (b) post pics. ;D

Actually Will, I waaaassss thinking I needed one, so I could make a holster for it  ::) :D ;D ;D ;D 8)

tEN  ;) :D ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Glad to see you have your priorities straight. ;D

Curley Cole

TW
Here is a pix of my 45auto I got ifn I participate in WB. It is one of the SA gi series. got it new for $425. Didn't like the GI grips so changed them out with a set of walnut Sarco double diamonds and it now looks great. As you know I two am lefty. Not sure what I will do about the 45, but I put an Ambi safety on my Browning HP my self. Guess the 1911 wouldn't be much harder.

love the SA....great gun

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Curley

Nice looking Springfield Armory GI 1911, I forgot you were a lefty too, I looked at there LOADED model yesterday, it really is nice, and better yet it feels good in my hand, the ambi safety is easy to use and feels right, now I need to make up my mind between Stainless or blue.

Thanks for the picture Curley, looks a keeper to me

Regards

tEN wOLVES   ;) :D ;D

White Buffalo Chip

Howdy TW,
Have you thought about the S&W's
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
--George Washington--

Marshal Will Wingam

That's a nice shootin iron, Curly. I love that GI model. It makes my leather tools in the back room twitch. ;D

TW, I got the stainless model when I got my Kimber and had the parkerized Mil-spec Springfield. I wouldn't be able to advise you on the finish because I like both. Maybe the stainless will be more durable over time since it won't wear off.

I put Alumagrips on it and they really are outstanding. If you have a couble chage go off in the gun, your hand won't be porcupined by wood splinters. That happened to me (factory double charge) with my cousin's Colt 1911 and he had the steel re-inforced grips. My hand hurt but there wasn't any real injury. The pistol was toast, though. For a frequently used pistol, I'd defininetly put them on. Here's a photo of what they look like. Note the ambi safety.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

WBC, I was looking at the S&W, DANG NICE , I haven't made up my mind as too which one I'm going with, I'm open to Springfield Armory, Kimber, and S&W, Your gun is real nice pard, how do you like the S&W? thanks for jumping in here, I like all the input I can get.

tEN  ;D

Will, that's a good looking gun, is that a Kimber?, I was looking at there Eclipse model, I really like that, it was a black and stainless, I've heard that Kimber was having trouble with their magazines, and also heard that might be taken care of now, these three company's have some real nice guns, and options, Springfield Armory has a gun that looks just like the Kimber Eclipse that I like, it has the slats on the side, and between the slats it's black, and on the top it's black, with black grips, real sexy looking. How do you like the Kimber ? those Aluminum grips look good, your a lucky pard , that you didn't do any damage to you hand when the gun came apart.

tEN  ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Yeah, that's a Kimber CDP, 4". Can't use it for SASS, but for everything else, outstanding. I've never had any problems with mags, feeding, or anything. If I was going to do it again, I'd buy the same thing. For SASS, I'd get another one of the Springfield Mil-Specs, which I'll do one of these days. Colt makes a beautiful replica of the WW1 1911 which I drool over now and then. http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c5-q50-COLT_PISTOLS.aspx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com