BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona Cattleman

Juyst bought another Dave Cole knife.  Can't wait till it arrives.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Boothill Bob

Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

KidTerico

Beautiful knife and sheath. You wont be sorry with  it. It couldnt be going to a better pard. KT :D
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

KidTerico

Johnny M nice looking rig. Its about time  you show some leather work. Thanks for showing. KT  ;)

Arizona Cattleman

SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

santee

Well done Johnny! You got that color only leaving them in an hour? I thought you had to dunk for 24 hrs. to get that rich tone.
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Johnny, great job pard, and it matches your money belt perfectly, the color is awesome, thanks for the look see

tEN wOLVES  :D

Santee, depending on how strong your walnut dye is, also depends on what length of time you need to leave it in the dye, as the dye sits over time it tends to get weaker, you can bring it back to life by cooking up some more walnuts, and using the old dye too, just add the newly cooked dye to the old, my walnut dye is over three years old now, you should experiment with a scrap piece of leather off the the same hide that you're wanting to dye, you can create a whole range of color and tones by doing this, example, more time in the dye/ less time in the dye, and the amount of oil used will give you different results, when you find what you want , just remember what you did, making notes on the use of your natural dye helps, then if you want to duplicate a certain color you will know just what you did based on that batch of dye. I've submerged dyed as little as a few hours all the way to seven days, just depends on what color and tone you're looking for, my coffee dye only takes 24 hours, to get the results I want, Pecan dye ,just a few hours will get you nice color, and Vinegaroon dye will give you a beautiful black instantly, but you need to follow the instructions for using Vinegaroon or you can harm your leather.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Really nice Dave Cole knife and sheath AC, I've also found out what nice work Dave does, you'll be very happy when it arrives.

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

santee

Does this website ever fail to give good info??? HECK NO!
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Johnny McCrae

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words.

QuoteDoes this website ever fail to give good info??? HECK NO!
You hit the nail on the head Santee.

I'm quite sure I would not be able to do much of anything in Leather Working without all of the help, guidance and encouragement I've received on this forum.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Skeeter Lewis

Arizona Cattleman

Thanks TW, it's my second, and was very pleased with my first.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Marshal Will Wingam

Really beautiful, AC. Dave does another good one. Congrats.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Marshal Will Wingam

That rig really came out good, Johnny. Very nice on the color. I guess I have to boil my dye down a little because I don't get those rich tones.

You've only owned single actions but remember that the 1911 is a single action automatic. You really haven't strayed far from the roost, there. Glad to hear the RI is a good one. The price is certyainly right.

WaddWatsonEllis

On the docent side, I had been in a class where they discussed that knives got much smaller with the increased reliability of cartridge weapons ...

About this time, Dave Cole put a lovely little 'Small Gentleman's Knife ' for sale on the classifieds ... I wrote a bit to him talking about my love for Damascuse steel, and this little jewel came about ... and he used the leather that I sent him (that will eventually be used for a Johnny Ringo rig) so that It will alll look like it was made at the same time .....

\

I am including a thumbnail that was used on the pattern cover ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Marshal Will Wingam

That Ringo sheath is a good match. Very nice work. The knife is also a fine one. Congrats on that, pard.

KidTerico

WWE Dave did you good. You have nice combination to make a good match. Great job Dave. KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Wad, your Dave Cole knife and sheath are awesome , the knife is really nice, I've always been partial to Stag scales on knives, and with the Damascus blade it really sets it off nicely, this knife and sheath will look great on your Johnny Ringo rig when you get it finished. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D

WaddWatsonEllis

Well, it is not going to be exactly a Johnny Ringo rig ....

The two Schofileds that I use are so long that I am going to extend the loop so that the grip ends should just touch the top of the belt ... perhaps drop the loops as much as 3"...

Plus, since I usually shoot SASS, the rig will become a double strong side rig ... which will mean playing with the offside belt buckle, the number of bullet loops in the back  ... and God knows what all ...

The stag scales on the knife will match the stag grips on the Schofields ... so I guess I am entering in the the B Western category ... perhaps backing in, but certainly in the almost-buscadero phase ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

GunClick Rick

Bueatiful knife!!! Gonna be a nice set! :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com