BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KidTerico

GB nice job on the bag. I see you havnt lost your touch. GREAT as always. KT :)
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

Skeeter Lewis

Great bags, GB. Congratulations.

Gun Butcher

Many thanks Pards for your kind words.

GB
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Cliff Fendley

Love those bags GB. Good work.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

JD Alan

Good work on the bags there AC.

About soaking your finished work in these dyes for a period of time; what does it do to any stamping on tooling you may do? It seems like having the leather wet for such a long time would have a detrimental affect on it

How does that work?
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: JD Alan on October 15, 2010, 11:20:06 AM
Good work on the bags there AC.

About soaking your finished work in these dyes for a period of time; what does it do to any stamping on tooling you may do? It seems like having the leather wet for such a long time would have a detrimental affect on it

How does that work?

JD after doing your stamping/tooling/carving, let your leather dry before putting your leather project in the natural dye, if you do this, your stamping/tooling/carving will look the same after your natural submerged dyed leather has dried, I was worried about this too when I started using the natural dyes, but following the above method proved it didn't hurt a thing.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Boothill Bob

Nice bags GB  :P
I´ve made a 7½" ringo rig for a guy, he wanted the spotted loops a little thinner, so
I made them like he wanted... Not nice I tink but he wanted it :-\
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on October 15, 2010, 11:49:16 AM
  JD after doing your stamping/tooling/carving, let your leather dry before putting your leather project in the natural dye, if you do this, your stamping/tooling/carving will look the same after your natural submerged dyed leather has dried, I was worried about this too when I started using the natural dyes, but following the above method proved it didn't hurt a thing.

tEN wOLVES  :D

The other option when using the home brewed water based dyes such as coffee or walnut (not vinegar black) is to case your leather with them and then stamp - cased properly there's no real mess and you can alwasy touch upt the sewing holes after using a fine paint brush..

As for all the nice work going on - keep it up folks! ;D
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Skeeter Lewis

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Boothill,
Beautiful work on the Ringo Rig! A real pleasure to look at! Thanks for sharing it with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

BhB, the shooters in Sweden are very fortunate to have a guy like you who can make them quality leather. I like the spot spacing, in fact the whole rig looks good.

Regarding Chuck's comments about casing leather in the home brewed dye, it seems that you have to leave in there quite a while to get the color you want, so I'm not sure how that would work. The bigger problem for me is appearing like I'm questioning Chuck's knowledge or skills, and what dummy would want to do that ???   

KidTerico

BB another fine piece of work . KT
Cheer up things could be worse, sure enough I cheered up and they got worse.

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: JD Alan on October 16, 2010, 11:16:07 AM
Regarding Chuck's comments about casing leather in the home brewed dye, it seems that you have to leave in there quite a while to get the color you want, so I'm not sure how that would work. The bigger problem for me is appearing like I'm questioning Chuck's knowledge or skills, and what dummy would want to do that ???   

JD - get it to the color you want then just like casing leather - not just wetting it - wetting it and then put in a plastic bag in the refrigerator or under glass ala Peter Main until it dries back to the proper temper and then tool - if it dries out a bit too much while working it, just re-dampen with a spritz of water and continue on. And nope my methods can be questioned just as much as anyone else, beginner or pro.....

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Gun Butcher

Bob, you got that ringo rig down pat. Looks great.
Ron
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Dr. Bob

GCR for Gov.!!!!  Like the sound of that! 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dr. Bob

Went to Indiana and missed a whole lot of great work!  Y'all are doin mighty fine leather work here!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

JD Alan

Thanks Chuck and 10 Wolves, and anyone else explaining stamping and home dyes.

GunClick Rick

I'm takin donatations ;D Tax deductable,20.00 gets ya 5 ;D
Bunch a ole scudders!

Johnny McCrae

Here is a practice 1911 Holster I just made for myself to match my current belt. This Holster was in my Home brewed Walnut Dye for an hour followed by three coats of Neet's and then two coats of Skidmore's. I'm going to make another Holster along with magazine holders and a matching belt.

The pistol is a Rock Island Armory 1911. It was a relatively low cost pistol ($459). This is my first semi-automatic pistol and I'm very pleased with it. Up until now all I've ever owned were Single Actions. I'm not a very good pistol shot but seem to do OK with this one.
Heck, I might even try a Wild Bunch Match sometime.

Many thanks go to Marshall Will for the original pattern design and to Ten Wolves for all of his expert help and guidance with this Holster. The pattern was dead on and fits my 1911 perfectly.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Arizona Cattleman

Johnny, great looking WB rig.  Nice lookin pistola.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com