BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChuckBurrows

Quote from: Dalton Masterson on July 30, 2010, 09:24:29 PM
Django,
Here is a link to the thread on this one.
I am hoping to get it to happen again, but havent tried it yet. One of these days.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,31899.0.html
DM

Dalton a couple of tricks to get the crackling
1) Heat - a heat gun on low, but be vewy vewy careful! Also the response may take a while so heat let cool, then "fold bend and mutilate" and see what happens - reapply heat if need be.

2) Lye or potash - any strong alkali will "burn" the surface (and even deeper if you're not careful). Lots of leather "agers" use oven cleaner with lye. Spray it on, let dry, and then rinse off with clean water. Fold bend and mutilate.........

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

cowboywc

Outrider, AC & Kt
Great work guys.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Ned Buckshot

July 31, New York City.

Mitch Miller dies at 99.

What a musicl egend. An a most incredible beard and mustache!

Many good memories of a much simpler time!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Gun Butcher

Outrider, tht is some mighty fine work on those Yuma rigs.  I like both of them the best.... :-\  I can do that ..... can't I ::) ;D

AC, pard that is gonna be a killer rig when you get finished. I really like that black and white it really jumps atcha.

Kid, the sheath is a great compliment to a great knife.  Dave should be proud  ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

JD Alan

Had to believe he was still alive. My folks had his show on regularly when I was growing up. Just follow the bouncing ball!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Django

This is a rig i just finished for a customer in England

Meanea holsters, one for his Colt Bisley with a wider throat and the other for an SAA 7 1/2" colt.

3" tapered belt with 26  44/45 loops and a 1 3/4"nickel clipped corner buckle.

"Antiqued" (Thank you Chuck!!)finish.

Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

JD Alan

Django, that's some fine looking leather!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Skeeter Lewis

Congratulations, Django. That's very authentic-looking. You've hit the nail on the head. Skeeter

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

As JD and Skeeter said well done Django, looks like you're taking to this leather work like a duck does to water, keep up the great work pard. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Thanks for the info Chuck. I tried heat on a pair of holsters, after getting them damp. Problem was the propane torch scorched them in spots..... :-[ ;D. I got a little impatient as was going to fast and hot. The heat gun sounds like a much better plan.

I might give the chemical stuff a try sometime, and see what it does.

Django, nice look to that rig!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Kid Terico

Django nice piece of leather your showing. KT

Boothill Bob

Django, thats a mighty fine rig. How did u make the antiqe finish?? I dont have CB:s DVD :'(
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Marshal Will Wingam

Very good-looking rig, Django. Nice work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Django

You just gotta love Chucks "delicate" finishing tips!!

"Heat it up fold bend and mutilate and see what happens "

A one of a kind  and a genius to boot!!
Django
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND STILL HAVE MOST OF IT LEFT
Website http://www.savoirfaire-jazz.co.uk/index.html

Boothill Bob

I got to get it somehow.
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

Johnny McCrae

Howdy All,

Lots of great leather work posted lately. Many thanks to everyone for sharing your work with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Johnny McCrae

Here is a facsimile of a Henry rifle I made for my grandson who is a civil war buff. He originally wanted a Spencer Carbine but I talked him into that "Tarnation Yankee rifle you load on Sunday and fire all week".

The receiver sides are brass, the barrel is steel tubing and the stock is oak.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

GunClick Rick

Where do ya put the rubber band?? :D Now that is too cool Poppa M.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Kid Terico

Johnny M. Thats some very nice work you did. Grandson should like it and be very proud of his grandfather. KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Johnny, you're a Grandpa's Grandpa, beautiful job, you're Grandson will flip. ::) :o 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com