BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, October 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ned Buckshot

I wanted to give a public thank you to a very generous pard, Gun Buthcher.

He sent a box of old tools which I collect, as a gift!!!!! ;D

There is one in particular that I really like, this old hand crank grinder.

Never seen one like it!

Only marking on it is MILW  U S A

Any ideas on age etc?

Thanks again Gun Butcher!

Ned

Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Gun Butcher

You are very welcome Ned. That is the one that I liked the best also. I just couldn't figure out how a person could crank it and grind something at the same time ???
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ned Buckshot

I think that's what young kids are for ;),now where can I find one? ???

Ned
Ned Buckshot

MontanaSlick

Ned, most of the farmers and ranchers had those, I remembr my G.Pa had one, didn't have electricity back then.

Hook up a little motor on it. ;)

GunClick Rick

That's why grandpa had nine kids huh Ned..When the kid got distracted he would pop him one and say"keep your nose to the grind stone!" :D :D Boy i bet that one is late 1800s or very early 1900s
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ned Buckshot

Naw I don't want to hook up a motor, it would just ruin it for me. Besides I got a new Delta 8" wheel varible speed monster to do the heavy stuff on. It eats metal like there's no tommarrow! ;)

Rick wait till you see yours, very cool also and has a patent date of 1925!

Ned
Ned Buckshot

Gun Butcher

Good on ya Ned. I figured you might do that and I heartily approve. ;D
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Ned Buckshot

I just got it all taken apart, needs new bearings , hopefully will be able to find them. Shaft and gears are in very good shape.

I think I'll put a hard stone on it and use it for final finish before stropping. If I can find the right sized stone.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

MontanaSlick

Quote from: GunClick Rick on March 13, 2010, 12:53:06 PM
That's why grandpa had nine kids huh Ned..When the kid got distracted he would pop him one and say"keep your nose to the grind stone!" :D :D Boy i bet that one is late 1800s or very early 1900s

14 to be exact GCR,1896  - 1915  ;D

outrider

Hey now...what a neat old grinder......have fun with it Ned. :D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

MontanaSlick

;D  I was one of those kids who had to crank that puppy up..dunt let go as it would bite ya. ;)

cowboywc

Howdy MS
That was my job in Dad's shop as a kid too.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Gun Butcher

You guys are making me glad my Dad got that thing after I left home ;D :o ;D

GunClick Rick

And also a thanks to GB for some way cool bolo ties he sent me and a thanks to Ned for sharin one of the grinders.I got payback to do ;) I love wearin retro cowboy stuff when the weather permits..
Bunch a ole scudders!

Dr. Bob

Rick,

Ya need to get ya some real WOOL cowboy clothes and then ya can wear them on the cool days!  I wear mine about on errands in 0 degree weather.   ;D  ;D  ;)  ;D  ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

GunClick Rick

I have a real old Elmer Fudd outfit,does that count?
Bunch a ole scudders!

MontanaSlick

WC, we werent botherd by child labor laws back then, we did it the Family way, dunt work, dunt eat.

Never missed a meal Slick ;D

JD Alan

Very cool, and maybe I can tag a sharpening question in on this thread. ::)

A friend has a couple of 8" wheels that fit on a standard grinder, if you take the guards off, that are made out of paper I guess. You can find this contraption at www.paperwheel.com. He bought a grinder at Harbor Freight and turned it around so the wheel would come up at you.

He puts some sort of grit on one wheel and rouge on the other.

Any thoughts on this type of thing? Could it be used on a round knife? How about a swivel knife blade? Just curious.
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

JD,

We use a paper wheel at the local Lather Factory and it works really great..I don't know about turning the wheel so it comes at you...that is asking for trouble...wheel should be turning counter clockwise
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, for safety sake you always want to work in FRONT on a grinder / buffer/ polisher, where the wheel is turning downwards, reversing the motor is a dangerous thing to do unless you were to lean over the the wheel to be on the downward motion of the wheel, and that's dangerous too, your clothing could be caught, there is always the possibility of what you have in your hands being grabbed or flipped  from your hands, if the wheel is turning UPWARD, and this were to happen, and you had a knife  or worse a round knife in your hands it could be thrown right in your face or worse your throat. just a side note, always wear eye protection, and follow the safety rules for the particular power tool,  in case we have those that haven't worked on power tools before.

tEN wOLVES  :D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com