my first project

Started by leather banger, October 11, 2009, 05:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leather banger

Howdy pards my first project isn't a rig yet. It is a photo album for my aunt and uncle who took care of me a lot when I was a kid. Any advise on how to color the roses yellow and the other flower orange and seal the color so I can use the coffee method to dye the rest ?
I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Gun Butcher

Nice job on the tooling Leather Banger. As fafar as the dyeing goes I will have to let one of the other Pards give you some info on that. I haven't tried the coffee dye yet and for sure not in a two or three tone job. Good luck with that and let us see the finish product.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Marshal Will Wingam

Howdy, Banger. I haven't used coffee dye, yet either. If I were to tackle that project, I'd use yellow and orange dye on the flowers then seal them with something to make them less apt to take on any darker color. Then I'd see how it goes. To seal the leather, there may be some leather sealers that will work, perhaps some of the pards here have had experience with them. I wouldn't rule out something like Thompson's water seal or some similar product. You'd want to do some samples to see how they work before tackling that on your nice tooling. Which, by the way is really good. I'm sure some of the other pards here will have better suggestions than mine, so take my advice with a grain of salt since I haven't tried it. Very nice work so far. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished album.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more of your work.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

leather banger

Thank you pards for the nice words I just started working leather about a year ago I am no where close to the skills i have seen from you pards I have a lot to learn. My next project will be a Sheridan wallet and belt I found a pic of.

Ace Lungger

Howdy LB,
I will jump in here and ad my 2 cents. I have never done any color work on leather, so lets hope that someone that has will jump in and help you!
I am not sure how your colors will work with the cioffee dye. You are going soak the leather in the coffee dye, the dye is going to soak entirely threw the leather, since I never have painted leather, but I would think that if you are going to coffee dye, I would think you would have to use the eco-flow dyes for the colors. As I understand the eco-flow are acrilic dyes and should dye the flowers??
I think you would want to do the coffee dye first, and then color your flowers??
Before doing anything, maybe someone that has used the color dyes will help out!
Good Luck!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy LB,

Welcome to the Leather Shop, what Ace told you is my feelings too, I think if you do your coffee dye first,  and then let it thoroughly dry, you should be able to do your painting then, the acrylic paints have there own finish built in, although you can still put a super sheen or satin sheen over them, if you can wait until next week, CowboyWC will be back in town, he can advise you further.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

leather banger

Thank you pards for all the wisdom I can wait another week due to a problem I ran into with the inside of the album. I guess you could say I didnt mess it up I just learned another way not to do the inside.

Gun Butcher

;D ;D  Leather Banger, if there is one thing you can say about all of us its that we have all found a lot of ways not to do things. And some of our best work has come from what we thought was another way not to do it. ??? ::)
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com