Senselessly huge gun...

Started by Short Knife Johnson, October 10, 2009, 02:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Short Knife Johnson

Just look at what the Brits are up to now.  They must be stopped!  We are looking down the barrel of a well, um, a Barrel Gap!  Call your Congressman, call your Member of Parliment, call your gunsmith.  Demand that we answer in kind.  Where do they get off building a 2-bore shoulder fired gun.  Right under our noses!  Oh the humanity of it all!  :o

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/features/258443/VIDEO_ST_testfires_a_massive_twobore_rifle.html

(OK, that's it... no more late night posting for me.  Enjoy)

FriscoCounty

Oooh, 2500 grain boolits and 16 drams of black powder.  (for you non darksiders, 16 drams is 960 grains, or 2 oz and 2500 grains is 5.2 oz)
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Professor Marvel

Greetings -
I do believe this gentleman has a good hand and will  "call" http://tinyurl.com/2-bore-build
beautiful work, and the link has a link to his entire proffesional build thread. i am most impressed by his work.
and with a 1-bore in the works, it looks like he will "raise".
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: FriscoCounty on October 10, 2009, 10:07:06 AM
Oooh, 2500 grain boolits and 16 drams of black powder.

Well, so much for "British understatement."  If one attempts to keep a stiff upper lip when pulling THAT trigger, said lip may snap right off...

:o ::) ;) ;D

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Forty Rod

I guess he can do whatever he wants within the laws of nature and country, and he has bragging rights no end, but I don't see the value in something like that.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Forty Rod on October 11, 2009, 08:04:16 PM...but I don't see the value in something like that.

Maybe he lives next door to a zoo with elephants, rhinos, etc.  :o ;D :D ;)

Short Knife Johnson

For all you non-believers, I shall now read from the sacred book of our saviour Elmer Keith.

"Sayeth Elmer Keith unto the unenlightened 'Efficiency be damned, it results we're after.  And they saw that it was good." 

"And unto the eighth day, our saviour christened the .375 Holland & Holland as 'adequate for a small bore cartridge.'"

Let us now bow our heads

Joe Lansing

I missed something somewhere. A 2 bore means 2 lead ball of equal diameter to the pound which equates to a half pound ball. A half pound ball is 3,500 grains. They're shooting a 2,500 grainer. Something doesn't quite add up. A conical ball should weigh even more.
    I had a friend who use to shoot an 8 bore. That ball weighed over 900 grains.

J.L.

Short Knife Johnson

Yeah, you're right, I thought it was a typo so I wasn't going to say anything.  7000 grains per pound, only 2 projectiles per pound of lead.  From what I've seen of the "bore" family, round ball is preferred.  I don't think they were rifled, so a conical slug is not going to stabilize.  Even if they are rifled, I don't know if one would want to have any more projectile weight.  Just give it 1 in 66" twist and call it a day.  A dram = 3 scruples = 60 grains of powder.  Or am I way off there?  Don't ask me what a "scruple" is.  It was in my Machinery's Handbook.  There are so many systems of measurement it boggles the mind.  :o  My Sonoma pickup gets 705,600 rods to the hogshead, and that's just the way I like it.

Frenchie

Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Marshal Deadwood

Ay..now this be explaining better'n words  why me dear Irish mum ,,, God rest her saintly soul,... saw it as being fitting ta proper to teach me first,,before and above all things,,,to shoot mad dogs and distrust englismen.

What I say about it ? WHO the HELL,,,wants a rifle that knocks their fookin' feet off gods earth  We don't have antimules that big here....

MD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com