National Cowboy Museum?

Started by J.R. Logan, October 05, 2009, 07:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.R. Logan

Thinking of going to National Cowboy Museum in Okalahoma City.  Does anyone have suggestion on this?

J. R. Logan

Texas Lawdog

A great place to visit and you won't be disappointed. It showcases all aspects of the Cowboy. I'm sorta prejudiced though, I'm a member of the foundation.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

James Hunt

I was there as recently as last March. It is interesting. In my opinion I would not drive two days to go see it alone, but if I were in the area I would definitely see it. It is a very beautiful building, and the museum and displayed items are first rate. It is not the Smithsonian and it is not Cody. But it is interesting. If you are into rodeo it is an added treat as they have a great display, if not that portion is wasted time. All in all I'm definitely glad I went, but I was driving home from Arizona and it was not out of my way. You may feel differently.

I guess part of my problem is that there are so many interesting places that have great museums. Unless you are into quarter horses I don't see that Oklahoma city has any more to offer than any other urban area. And that part of Oklahoma just looks like, well like Michigan without the lakes. No spectacular scenery that is any different that the midwest which I look at every day. Six hour drive west of Oklahoma the scenery gets better.

Maybe I'm to negative. Let me put it this way - given the choice between driving to it or Cody I would choose Cody (I love staying at the Irma).
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Tjackstephens

J.R., if you are going I 40 you could stop in Fort Smith and see Judge Parkers court. They were also going to have a US Marshal's museum, but don't know how that is coming, may not be ready. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Cole Bluesteele

I have to agree with the Lawdog.  Its well worth the trip.  There are western art displays, western tack displays, TV and movie westerns displays, US Cavalry display, a recreation of an old west town, Indian artifacts and a few I probably omitted.  Neat gift shop too, with a bunch of tapes, books and the usual other stuff .

Oh yeah, I'm a member also.

Cole

PS

If you're heading east from OKC, you might go to the Jim Davis Museum in Claremore, north of Tulsa.  It's got more guns than the Cody.  In Tulsa you might go to the Gilcrease Museum they have a great collection of western art (including Remingtons and Russels).  Plus a really nice Indian artifacts collection.

Ozark Tracker

they don't have the Marshalls museum yet, but they do have some good places downtown by Judge Parkers Court.  coupla museums there,   Big Jake's Steak House to eat at.   back down the road at Ozark,  Rivertown BBQ and  3  winery's down at Altus (5 miles from Ozark)

now I think TLD  can attest to the food at Big Jake's and if I can get him up sometime,  he'll be able to test out Rivertown BBQ.

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

kflach

As long as you're considering a Museum Road Trip, you might as well stop by Fort Worth and visit the National Cowgirl Museum.

http://www.cowgirl.net/

J.R. Logan

Looks like about 10 and 1/2 hour to there from my house might try to make trip in May 2010 drive out Fri., Museum on Sat. and drive home on Sun.  Worth the effort or not?

J. R. Logan

Terry Lane

Yep, it is worth the trip. If you're interested in the multitude of other great museums in the area such as Fort Reno, Anadarko, Confederate Cemetary, Five Civilized Tribes Museums , The Tribal Courthouses, historic Guthrie (you know, Tilghman and those boys), the Overholser mansion, etc., etc., pm me. I've done several historic tours of the general area. The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum is a great place to start. Take care.
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: J.R. Logan on October 07, 2009, 03:20:25 PM
Looks like about 10 and 1/2 hour to there from my house might try to make trip in May 2010 drive out Fri., Museum on Sat. and drive home on Sun.  Worth the effort or not?

J. R. Logan

J.R.

If you come out this way, spend an extra day and come shoot one of our monthly matches.   We're about 3.5 hrs south of OK City.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com