Nez Perce Warrior on Horseback

Started by Shotgun Steve, October 05, 2009, 11:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun Steve

Nez Perce Warrior on horseback was all the information that was with the photograph.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Silent Joe

Thanks for the picture, Steve. I'm very interested in the history of the Nez Perce. I've several books about them and Chief Joseph (the young one). In all the books I have I haven't seen this picture. Very special.

Tjackstephens

Steve, doesn't look like an Appalossa. Think that is the horse the Nez Perce are famious for.  That Nez Perce looks quite capable. Thanks again for sharing. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Stillwater

Quote from: Silent Joe on October 05, 2009, 12:02:50 PM
Thanks for the picture, Steve. I'm very interested in the history of the Nez Perce. I've several books about them and Chief Joseph (the young one). In all the books I have I haven't seen this picture. Very special.

If you go to Nespelem, WA, where Chief Joseph is buried, there is a large monument to him.

I used to live in Nespelem, WA.

Bill

Stillwater

Quote from: Tjackstephens on October 05, 2009, 05:09:49 PM
Steve, doesn't look like an Appalossa. Think that is the horse the Nez Perce are famious for.  That Nez Perce looks quite capable. Thanks again for sharing. Tj

That horse isn't an Appaloosa, which the Nez Perce, as a tribe, are famous for breeding.

Look at the brand on the horses hip, the brand either says NT or WT... That horse was once owned by a white man...

From the looks of the horse, and the way the horses head and neck are bowed, and from the way the ears are turned, that horse is not happy.

Bill

Don Nix

No it doesnt appear to me to be an Appaloosa. But that animal is branded.
It looks like it is carrying the XIT brand but I may be mistaken. The brand is on the right hip.
It maybe something  besides the XIT but I cant makeit out fot sut.
The XIT was started in Texas but later had operations in other northern states so the Nez Perce brave could have liberaterd a good stock horse.

Tjackstephens

Stillwater, I thought the same thing about the horse when I saw those ears laid back. The ears lay back the back bows and look out you are in for a ride. More often on a real cool morning. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

James Hunt

Didn't drop a lot of money on the headstall did he?

My impression is that this has to be some photographers impression of what an Indian on horseback should look like. Contrary to what many think, Indians used saddles. The Nez Perce were well regarded as horseman.

Regarding the horses countenance, I'm willing to bet that the laid back ears and swishing tail have more to do with the scary photographer and that black box he has than anything else. I have a horse that when you point a camera at him he acts as if it is his final moment. God forbid the flash goes off.

Still an interesting image.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Stillwater

Quote from: James Hunt on October 05, 2009, 08:28:03 PM
Didn't drop a lot of money on the headstall did he?

My impression is that this has to be some photographers impression of what an Indian on horseback should look like. Contrary to what many think, Indians used saddles. The Nez Perce were well regarded as horseman.

Regarding the horses countenance, I'm willing to bet that the laid back ears and swishing tail have more to do with the scary photographer and that black box he has than anything else. I have a horse that when you point a camera at him he acts as if it is his final moment. God forbid the flash goes off.

Still an interesting image.

After moving from Nespelem, WA, our family moved to Omak, WA, where there was a great rodeo named the Omak Stampede. During the Stampede there was an event called the Suicide race, where ten or so horses and riders would race down a steep hill, into the Okanogan river, and into the rodeo ring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Race

Copied from the Wewnatchee, WA, Daily World newspaper:

OMAK — The Omak Stampede and World Famous Suicide Race combine the spirit of pioneer cowboys with American Indian traditions in this county's largest event. The 76th annual Omak Stampede is Aug. 6-9 this year. Omak The Omak Stampede features a large powwow with Native Americans in colorful regalia competing in dancing, drumming and stick games. In the rodeo arena, four days of world class rodeo action bring top name competitors for all kinds of rodeo events. Thetwo worlds come together in the World Famous Suicide Race — the signature event and a tradition among Colville Confederated Tribes members featuring a daring horse race down a steep hill, a swim across the Okanogan River and a fast dash into the Stampede arena.

There's also a Native and Western Art Show, parades, a carnival and lots of food. What started as a hometown rodeo organized by local cowboys and Indians has grown to an event that attracts thousands of visitors.

For information, call (509) 826-1002, or visit

Most of the time the race was won by an Indian rider, and most of the time the rider was a Nez Perce tribal member. One particular rider, named Alec Dick, won the Suicide Race ten times in a row. Alec Dick was Nez Pierce.

The animal rights groups hate the race, and claim that in the last twenty-five years, twenty-one horses have died, which is a gross exaggeration.

The Indian tribes and the towns people, don't pay the animal rights groups much attention...

Bill

Stillwater

Quote from: Don Nix on October 05, 2009, 06:55:24 PM
No it doesnt appear to me to be an Appaloosa. But that animal is branded.
It looks like it is carrying the XIT brand but I may be mistaken. The brand is on the right hip.
It maybe something  besides the XIT but I cant makeit out fot sut.
The XIT was started in Texas but later had operations in other northern states so the Nez Perce brave could have liberaterd a good stock horse.

That brand does look like it could very well be XIT.

Bill

Ottawa Creek Bill

Now lets throw this in the fire.....Yes the horse was quite possible owned by a white man at one time and could just as possibly have been taken in a raid.....

The rope headstall is fastened by using a larks head knot, I have used that set up in the past....quite common among many tribes. And...just because the horse is not a leopard app or a appaloosa with a spotted blanket on his rump and a broom tail, doesn't mean it is not an app. I've seen plenty of apps with a solid color. Finally, I think it is obvious that this is a posed photo, none the less....very interesting.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Don Nix

we a;ways called that an Apache war bridle. You just take a length of rope and make a loop (half a square knot ) and place it in the horses mouth around the lower jaw. it gives you a lot control when a rider  knows how to stay on. You get a lot of his attention when his tongue is pinched and his jaw yanked down.
I agree that many many Apps arent spotted  but this one doesnt quite fit the bill.
Old tyme Appaloosas were all fairly  typical in conformation along with the spots that the Nez Perce so prized.
Typically the old Apps tended to be Roman nosed, and they have white scelera around the pupils of the eyes . They also have striped hooves,and high withers. I see none of these traits on this horse so im not sure this is an App. But I could be wrong.

Tascosa Joe

The XIT was not formed until the mid 1880's.  The state of Texas traded land in 10 counties for the building of the Captial in Austin.  The building was begun in 1881 and finished about 84 or 85. 

The brand looks like an A with a V branded over the top with the T to the right.  Running iron maybe?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Cactus Rope

Not all appaloosa's are colored or have spots.

The brand looks to be WT not XIT. The XIT was on 3,000,000 million acres in Texas Panhandle from 1885 to 1912. Never had any holdings outside of Texas, didn't need to. XIT stands for Ten in Texas.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

litl rooster

Quote from: Cactus Rope on October 06, 2009, 10:33:10 PM
Not all appaloosa's are colored or have spots.

The brand looks to be WT not XIT. The XIT was on 3,000,000 million acres in Texas Panhandle from 1885 to 1912. Never had any holdings outside of Texas, didn't need to. XIT stands for Ten in Texas.

I have to say it looks like a WT brand...however XIT had holdings in Eastern Montana
http://milescity.com/history/stories/fte/ranchesinmontana.asp

I would have to go along with what Ottawa Crik Bill said about the breed, Look at the roached mane. Typical of a Appy, Tail is pretty thin. It's a butt ugly horse must be a Appy...(.runs and duc's the rock throwing.)

I may have missed it who was credited for the photo?
Mathew 5.9

Stillwater

For many years at the Omak Stampede, there was a pickup horse named Two Spot. Two Spot was a pure bred Appaloosa, that only had one spot on each haunch.

That horse was so good at it's job, it didn't really need it's own rider, to pick up the cowboy after the whistle blew.

Bill

ChuckBurrows

It might help to know that this is an Ed Curtis photo taken in 1910 at a time the classic Appaloosa's were still in decline due to the loss/breakup of the tribal herds after the Nez Perce war ...and while Appys were originally bred by the Nez Perce they were not the only breed ridden by them, especially after the herds were broken up....
Curtis was generally right on his ethnography, but IMO the hairstyle and the beading on the mocs look more Shoshone than they do Nez Perce, but then again this was at a time when Pan Tribal styles had replaced some of the individual tribal style....still compare the hairstyle to other pics of Nez Perce men of the same period and you will see what I mean, most have the upturned "bangs" as often seen worn by Chief Joseph and others....to help differentiate things, do a search and you will find a larger image of this pic.....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

litl rooster

Quote from: ChuckBurrows on October 07, 2009, 04:08:30 AM

Curtis was generally right on his ethnography, but IMO the hairstyle and the beading on the mocs look more Shoshone than they do Nez Perce, but then again this was at a time when Pan Tribal styles had replaced some of the individual tribal style....still compare the hairstyle to other pics of Nez Perce men of the same period and you will see what I mean, most have the upturned "bangs" as often seen worn by Chief Joseph and others....to help differentiate things, do a search and you will find a larger image of this pic.....

thank you I had no reference available to back that up last night I was hoping someone else caught it.  the moc's caught my attention  first then his hair
Mathew 5.9

James Hunt

1910 - whew..., thank God, we were worried that there was some dead white guy laying out on the plains with a relative back east wondering "why don't he write".  ;D

Actually, good informatiion ChuckBurrows. Thank you.

Also, good information above on the rope reining arrangement. Sort of the antithesis of the spade bit.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Lone Gunman

You can see quite a bit of the 20 volume collection "The North American Indian" by Edward Curtis at the Library of Congress website by clicking HERE.  (and you thought the only thing there was Solomon Butcher photos  ;D  ) The following photo (which isn't on the LOC site) is also from volume 8 and shows the same horse:

this one is titled "Watching for the Signal", the one Steve originally posted is "The Old Time Warrior". Both were tagged by Curtis as Nez Perce as was a third from the other side titled "The Scout".

Interestingly, if you look at Volume 1 there is another photo titled as an Apache scout that looks very similar except for the bridle.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com