Alloy Content of Uberti Brass Frames

Started by Driftwood Johnson, October 03, 2009, 11:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Joe Lansing on February 08, 2010, 10:25:21 AM
    We've got to live with and work with what is, not with what isn't, until what isn't becomes what is                                               

Maybe.

;)

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Joe Lansing on February 08, 2010, 10:25:21 AM
    We've got to live with and work with what is, not with what isn't, until what isn't becomes what is                                               

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on February 09, 2010, 03:31:10 AM
Maybe.

There *is* no spoon
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Professor Marvel

I would like to thank you all (esp Monsieur Bailey) for your real-world experience regarding the actual longevity of the brass-framed 1866. I am now well assurred that reasonable smokeless loads (ie ~ 7 gr of Unique) will not harm my beloved Yellow Boy, and proper loads of BP have been shown to achieve most excellent results vis-a-vis accuracy, velocity, and hunting.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Professor Marvel on February 10, 2010, 12:17:13 AM
I would like to thank you all (esp Monsieur Bailey) for your real-world experience regarding the actual longevity of the brass-framed 1866. I am now well assurred that reasonable smokeless loads (ie ~ 7 gr of Unique) will not harm my beloved Yellow Boy, and proper loads of BP have been shown to achieve most excellent results vis-a-vis accuracy, velocity, and hunting.

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel, Sir!  Greetings!

I'm glad we helped allay any fears you may have had regarding your "beloved Yellow Boy."  I feel the same about mine.  I am an UN-apologetic Warthog, who believes in pushing the ammo I load and shoot to the highest safe limit.  BP or Smokey-less loadings.  With the exception of about 550 projectiles I used of 200 grs., I've used 230 and mostly 250 gr. bullets to load in my 45 Colt.  There are many who have pointed out, correctly, that the military loading, which started at 40 grs. of BP, then down to 35, then 30, then came the 45 S&W round with 28 grs.  These were all used and over half - depending on the unit supply - probably were these lighter (on paper) rounds.  In actual practice, the 45 S&W round is VERY efficient, and the end (read: at the target) result was about the same!  It also uses a slightly smaller projectile, which I've heard varied from 218 grs. to 230 grs.  It is a good, well-balanced round.

Having said that, I prefer the full-size case with a full case of 3f or 2f if I have no 3f at the time.  The longer case keeps the chamber cleaner, due to the case length.  And ... I like the punch!  But that's me.  I've been accused of being a glutton for punishment.  Intellectually, I understand TOTALLY that I waste a few resources, but since loooonng before I was in the Army (I didn't enlist until I was nearly 28 yrs. old.)  I have believed that one should practice with what one would take to combat.  Make no mistake, I consider ANY type of shooting to be practice for the "real deal."  This served me well in peace as well as real-life and in war.  I hope never again to use my skills (and they have deteriorated greatly over the years) but I will be as ready as possible IF the need arises.  And ... someone might be asking themselves ... YES!  I would not at all feel under-gunned if, God forbid, I needed MY "beloved Yellow Boy" for serious, life-threatening work.  To that end, the alloy content of my Uberti Winchester would be fine!  I have been deer-hunting but once and I used my CAS loads and my '66 for that adventure.  (No, I didn't even SEE a deer.  Alas, I'm a proud (but learning new ways) city boy.)

Ride Easy!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com