Walnut & Coffee Dyes

Started by Johnny McCrae, October 02, 2009, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny McCrae

Attached are pictures of two Holsters I made to be used as door prizes.

The Slim Jim Holster is lined and was dyed with Coffee dye. It was in the dye for 24 hours. The Mexican Loop Holster is unlined and was dyed with Walnut dye. It was in the dye for 72 hours. Both have three coats of Neet's Foot Oil followed by a coat of Skidmore's.
I will be applying at least two more coats of Skidmore's to each one. I really like working with both of these dyes.

Again, many thanks to Ten Wolves for his help and coaching in the use of Home Brewed Dyes.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Kid Terico

Sure do like the finished dye color. You seem to have it  down pat. Great job. KT

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

The holsters look great, you did a nice job on your design and finish, those will be great door prizes, thanks for the look see ::) the more you use these natural dyes, the harder it is to go back to the other, thanks for the flowers Pard, I was glad I could help. :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

Those look really good, Johnny. They both have a nice richness to the colors. I agree with TW that the more I use the natural dyes, the better I like them.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

santee

Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Johnny Me Boy....NIce work there beautiful coloration on both holsters.

I meant to post this before but for those who like the natural walnut stains...I have two basket weaving material suppliers that can supply the base ingredients.

1. Countryseat.com...they have 1/3rd ounce packets of "Basket Tree Brand" hot water dyes.  Walnut Dye #213 is about $1.60 a packet and I assume it is in powder form.
2. Basketsofjoy.com...has one (1) pound bags of "Crushed Walnut Hulls" #whs @ $6.50 per bag.

They both have other types of natural dyes so check them out...I am going to order the hulkls from Baskets Of Joy

Happy Hunting ::) :-\ ;D
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Pards
Many thanks for the kind words.

Howdy Outrider,
Thank you for the links. I'm going to order some of the "Crushed Walnut Hulls". It sounds like a very versatile product. You are able to decide how light or dark you want the color to be and you can brew it in your home coffeemaker. Of course I'll have to get the "War Departments" approval to do this.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

JD Alan

I ordered some this morning. Here's hoping for the best!
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ace Lungger

Howdy Johnny, :)
As I stated in my email, those holsters are AWESOME :o :o The colors are great, the designs are great, and those SPOTS are kickin!!!!!!!!
You done a Totaly outstanding job!! What ever Cow Boy that wins those will be going home with a big smile!!!! :) :)
Thanks for posting those AWESOME pic's!!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: outrider on October 03, 2009, 07:56:55 AM
Johnny Me Boy....NIce work there beautiful coloration on both holsters.

I meant to post this before but for those who like the natural walnut stains...I have two basket weaving material suppliers that can supply the base ingredients.

1. Countryseat.com...they have 1/3rd ounce packets of "Basket Tree Brand" hot water dyes.  Walnut Dye #213 is about $1.60 a packet and I assume it is in powder form.
2. Basketsofjoy.com...has one (1) pound bags of "Crushed Walnut Hulls" #whs @ $6.50 per bag.

They both have other types of natural dyes so check them out...I am going to order the hulkls from Baskets Of Joy

Happy Hunting ::) :-\ ;D

Howdy Outrider

Thanks for the new information, on where to buy stains and dyes, it's much appreciated, this will simplify making the walnut dye for a lot of pards.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Howdy Johnny,
It would be nice if you would post back and give all of use the amount of time each holster was dyed?? I know that every leather will take dye differntly but, I would like to know how long each rig was in there dye! That coffee dye is so deep and rich!! I also can take into account of the lighting conditions may change the color also. Do the colors of the holsters look as they do in person as to the pic's?
Latter Bud!!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

GunClick Rick

Nice leather,where'd ya get the Turquoise concho?
Bunch a ole scudders!

Johnny McCrae

Ace,
24 hours on the Slim Jim and 72 hours on the Mexican Loop.

Rick,
Bought the Concho from Tandy. It is a stock item with them.

Ace Lungger

I am very great full for the reply. How dark would the coffee dye have been if you would of done it for 24hrs?? I cooked up a new dye the other day, I am not for sure if I like it or not?????? ::) ::) I will let you all look and she what everyone thinks!
Later ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Johnny McCrae

Howdy Ace,

I'm not sure how this Holster would have looked soaking for only 24 hours. It did turn out darker than I expected. Attached is a picture of a Holster I did a while ago that was soaking for a full five days. I'm going to brew up a new batch of dye using fresh Walnuts.

JD Alan

Great looking holster there Johnny, and great color too!. I'm looking forward to seeing that slide show of those "Sunday go to Meetin" pictures you took. They were great. 
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Ace Lungger

That is a nice looking holster, and I can see the true color at the top where the flash didn't wash out the color! That is a real nice color! That is close to the color I get when soaked for 5-6 days! Makes that Holster look very period!!
Thanks a lot, that was what I was wanting to know!
Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

RollingThunder

Was the holster soaked prior to or after the stamping work?
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

Johnny McCrae

Howdy RT,

I stamped it, attached the belt loop, sewed the pouch and then put it into the dye solution.

RollingThunder

Thanks Johnny. Got some leather going into it tonight. ;)
Just because you CAN ride the hide off a horse, doesn't mean you should.

http://www.youtube.com/artroland - The home of Backyard Horsemanship!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com