Colt Single Action Questions

Started by kflach, September 29, 2009, 10:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflach

This is probably a dumb question, but...

Is the "Colt Single Action" revolver a generic name for the type of gun, or is it a specific model?

As I look towards future purchases, I've noted that with rifles and shotguns people list specific models, usually denoted by year - a Winchester 73, for example. When people describe revolvers that are based on Colt designs, they use the modern model name - Ruger New Vaquero, for example. I know the Ruger is based on the Colt design (with plenty of modern advances added, of course), but I don't know any more about it's historical appropriateness than that.

If I were to really develop a persona for NCOWS, I'd want to get a revolver that was about the right time for my character. Obviously if I were a character from 1873 - 1883 I could use a Remington 1873, but what if I wanted a Colt reproduction? How do I know which Colt reproduction - regardless of whether it's made by Colt, Ruger, or anyone else - would be appropriate for which decade of the period in question?

Irish Dave

"Colt Single Action" is indeed a generic term.

The model in question is more definitively (and more correctly) known as :

Model P (factory designation)
Single Action Army (SAA)
or even "Peacemaker" (primarily a marketing label)

The SAA was introduced by Colt in 1873, but was basically exclusive to the military for a year or two. It would be unlikely that an 1873 persona would be sporting one of these unles they had a strong military connection.

For an truly accurate representation:
Blue/CC finish with steel backstrap, not brass (military or civilian)
Nickel finish (civilian)
Screw in front of frame to retain cylinder pin instead of the spring-loaded cross pin (until mid-late 1890s)
7.5" barrel (until the early 1880s)
One-piece walnut or 2-piece gutta percha (hard rubber) grips provided by factory (unless custom stocked)
Gutta percha grips would have eagle design (until mid-1890s) then plain checkered after that
Other grip materials would have been available for civilian market (ivory, pearl etc)

If I've erred on any of this I'm sure others will correct me.
Hope this helps.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Cole Bluesteele

Ah Cockroach, you've come to the right place.  For the time you're looking into portraying, a copy of a Colt Open Top or one of the conversion models would also be appropriate.  Check out the Cimarron website.  www.cimarronfireams.com
They have al the various models shown along with their "black powder" model P which would be the Colt Single Action Army available in the time you specified.

FYI, my grandson shoots the R-M conversion and I have the Open Top and Black Powder framed Colt.  If you're coming to Greenville the second weekend in October, I'll bring them for you to try out.

Cole

Tascosa Joe

Kevin:
All of the comments so far are spot on.  You see more of the 4 3/4 inch SAA Colts after 1883, the earliest documented 4 3/4 barrel I have found is 1875 and it was on the prototype .44 Rimfire.  The cross pin cylinder latch started in 1893 and you will find the front screw frames and the cross pin latch inter mixed until about 1896.  Front screw production stopped at that point.  There are quite a few good reproductions of the SAA Colt being made today.  USFA is probably the top of the line and they make front screw models they cost about the same as a 3rd Gen Colt but are great guns.  Uberti makes pistols for several of the American marketing firms i.e. Cimarron, Taylor, etc. and I have had good luck with most of them.  Ruger does not have the firing pin on the hammer like the old Colt's and most of the Italian repros, and there have been whole threads on here concerning that item.  As Cole said, he has all kinds of toy's for you to try, I have a battery of USFA's that I shoot most of the time now and you are welcome to try one or a pair of them at the Oct shoot.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

kflach

Thanks pards! I've got definite plans to be at the first NCOWS match in October (I'm in the process of freeing up the Sunday of the second NCOWs match, too, but it isn't finalized).

TJ, I want to shoot my Remmie for the actual match, but I'd love to try your USFA (as well as Cole's 'toys') after the smoke has cleared.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com