My New Knife

Started by JD Alan, September 29, 2009, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Ned Buckshot made me a knife, and I think it's outstanding. I'm in the process of planning a sheath for it. Here are some pictures

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD:

Nice knife...

I have these two Bowie Knives I got from Texas Jacks (okay, I accdentally ordered two) ... the wooden handle looks WAY too modern!

It looks like I have been able to trade one of them for an antler tube for the one I am going to keep ...

I only hope mine ends up looking half as good as yours ......

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

WOW JD, that looks like the kind of knife thet ole Crocodile Dundee carried.  Some nice firearms there also.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

Nice knife pard, Ned did a great job for you, and I like your line up of weapons too, you're getting good at the picture taking, I thought I was looking at one of CB's pictures for a minute,one thing for sure you're going to be well armed when you go to the line. ;D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

When I first saw it, I was surprised at how big it was. I saw it in a picture, but in person it looks a lot bigger. Ned did a great job with it. I'm going to have to look at some sheaths to get an idea of what kind I want to make.   

JD Alan

Thanks 10 Wolves, I've been blessed with some good shootin irons. I've got my wife to thank for teaching me a little bit about picture taking. She's great, and sells quite a bit of her work.

Do you have any thoughts on a sheath design for a rookie to make?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy JD

As thick as this knife is , I would use a center welt that would taper to the thickness of the blade, that's if you want to make a sewn on both sides sheath, which is what I would do, it looks nice, or you could just make a wrap around for the blade, kind of like a single loop holster, that too looks good, you can make it so it hangs down from the belt or rides high on the belt, that's your preference.

hope this helped  ??? :D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ned Buckshot

I would make a sheath that alows the guard to ride above the belt, the guard is so wide that it would push the handle out away from the body at a pretty good angle if the sheath rode above the guard.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

Thanks Ned, that makes sense. I've got a guy in our club who has two knives with handles like mine, one for each of his rigs, and he has the guard above the belt on both of them.

10 Wolves, I don't know what you mean by a center welt, so could you explain that to me?

Thanks, JD

GunClick Rick

What Ned said,that's how Doc Disaster made the sheath for the knife Ned made for me.Sort of at a crossdraw style too..Ain't nothin like a Ned Buckshot original knife.Way cool JD :) :)

Hey now,ya gotta show off that hilt (is that what the top of a knife is called) I wanna see dat penny :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

cowboywc

Howdy JD
That is a good lookin Pig Sticker.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Tac

JD, Sorry if someone already answered your questions regarding the "welt" and I am repeating this information.... The "welt" is the center peice of the leather between the back and the face of the sheath that allows for the thickness of the blade to be inserted between the face and back of the sheath. It also serves to aid in preventing the blade from cutting the stitching of the sheath, as the sharp edge of the knife rides against it, rather than the inside of the seam. Usually, the welt is cut to match the profile of the blade on the inside, is wide enought to allow a stitch line, and trimmed/sanded to fit the outside of the sheath.  If looked at from the side, a sheath with a welt has a back piece on bottom, the welt in the middle, and the face piece on the top.

Hope my expination is able to be understood.

-Tac

P.S. Nice hog sticker! Here is a pic of one I made (sheath too!)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/Tac56/100_0958.jpg

-Marshal Tac
"Well Mayor, I think we did our good deed for the day."
BOLD #763
SBSS #1909

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, you will notice when looking at the top of your blade, not the edge side, next to the handle, that it is thicker at this point, if you want the knife to pull out with ease, you need to add a welt in between the back side and the front side of you sheath, I use a thickness of about 3/8" all around and between the front and back, I use what ever weight leather fills the ticket ( same thickness as knife ), just draw an outline of your knife and add 3/8" to that, this will be  the center welt with the 3/8" added to the outside, this will be the pattern for the sheath, draw this outline on the  fresh side of the bottom side but don't cut the bottom yet, cut the center out of your welt, and  cement the welt to the bottom side of your sheath leather, after adjusting the welt to fit right, tap it down to get good contact, then cement the front when you have finished it , cut /trim and smooth the edge, then you can do your sewing, if you're stamping or carving do all of that first before anything else, make sure you put in your stitch line first, also, but only on the front side, leave the bottom side a little over size, and then trim, after you have trimmed the bottom side and have a good 90 degree edge, use your stitch groover to put the remaining stitch line in the back I cement all my seams before sewing, to insure the blade won't cut through, then taper in respect to the taper of the knife, at the top of the blade, the edge side of the knife doesn't need a heavy welt except just at  before the edge starts,
if you don't want to taper it that's OK to,but putting the tapered welt in  just allows for a better fitting sheath, and one that will let you pull your knife with ease,just having a welt tapered or not will makes it easier to pull out your knife, if you want a little tighter fit. just make your welt a little thinner ( lighter weight leather ), What Ned said about having the knife guard above your gun belt is the way I like mine to, especially with long knives, some of these long knives when worn by shorter pards, look like they could use training wheels on them, so putting the knife higher up I think is the best way to go, if it was just a sheath for wearing on a pant belt, when in the woods or hunting while just using your rifle, then the long hanging sheath wouldn't matter. IMHO

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

ChuckBurrows

Nice Bowie!!

Here are instructions for for a Mexican loop style sheath - it can be adapted to other styles as well and will demo how to do all of the basics including welts...wide guards are the bane of sheath makers but there are several methods to get past that.......
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/mexloop/_mexloop.html
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Ace Lungger

Howdy JD,  :)
You have some mighty fine looking gear there!!! Congrads on the knife!!! :) :) :) :)

Howdy Ned, :)
AWESOME Job on the Knife!!!!!!!! :) With a knife like that, you don't need another one!! Unless you want one! ;D ;D

All I can ad is you both did GOOD :)
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Sometimes I wonder at the denseness of my thinking process.. Why I couldn't think of a welt Between the front and back pieces as being the center, instead thinking of the centerline of the knife blade is beyond me at this point, especially considering I know what a welt is. I wish I could blame it on the stroke, or age, or......, I don't know, weather balloons, swamp gas, electrical disturbances, Alien abduction.       

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: JD Alan on September 29, 2009, 06:49:15 PM
Thanks everyone for their feedback. Sometimes I wonder at the denseness of my thinking process.. Why I couldn't think of a welt Between the front and back pieces as being the center, instead thinking of the centerline of the knife blade is beyond me at this point, especially considering I know what a welt is. I wish I could blame it on the stroke, or age, or......, I don't know, weather balloons, swamp gas, electrical disturbances, Alien abduction.       

JD, what ever it is, we're all in this together pard, so don't worry about it, ask away, your question are always good ones, and I'm sure most the answers help others also.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

JD Alan

Chuck, thanks very much for the tutorial link. If it is as helpful as your holster DVD, it's going to be very helpful indeed.

Marshal Will Wingam

Swamp gas for sure, JD.

That's a decent knife. Ned did you right. I like Chuck's Mexican loop designs. They really look good with a cowboy rig. Be sure to post a pic when you're done.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

WaddWatsonEllis

JD

I would not lete it worry me too much; its just a matter of semantics, and every specialty has its own technical language ...

I had a 1957 MGA, and when I got the Clymer manual for it, it started:

In order to use this manual, one must ascertain if one has a fixed head (i.e. hard top) or drop head (i.e convertible). Parenthetic phrases were mine and not in the original manual ... I spent months trying to find out what they meant. I finally ran into a Brit who explained it   ...

Then there was the sentence in the carbeurator repair section; 'One must take one's  spanner (i.e. wrench) and remove the banjo bolt' (a specialized circular fuel line connector bolt .... I had to chew on that one for a couple of weeks before I figured it out )
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com