any way to cut up a 25lb lead "pig"?

Started by Ellsworth MacDoogle, September 25, 2009, 05:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellsworth MacDoogle

Is there a way to cut up a 25lb block of lead into smaller pieces, so they'll fit into my small, 10lb melter? Or do I need to melt it down in a cast iron pot, and pour into ingot molds - just wondering if there's a way to just cut it up...

Thanks for responses and advice!

Delmonico

Last time I had such a thing I got out the cutting torch and just melted chucks off it. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Ranch 13

Whack chunks from it with a good sharp ax. Or use wood splitting wedges and a maul
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Delmonico

I also used an air chisel like bodymen use one time, worked good.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ranch 13

:o Dang stuff sure gums up the blade on a sawzall. ;D

Delmonico

Quote from: Ranch 13 on September 25, 2009, 06:32:20 PM
:o Dang stuff sure gums up the blade on a sawzall. ;D

I got a hand hacksaw stuck one time. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Ya ever see one of them really big ingot they haul in a gondola car?  Was eatin' supper one night and a train went by had about a dozen of them, each in it's own car. 

I know the country well where it was headed, some lonly spots, just don't know how I could have got them back home, things were bigger than the box on my pick-up. :o
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Ranch 13

Boggle the mind when you try to figure just how many bullets one of them thing's would make. ;D Always sort of hoped when I worked for Uncle Pete that if there had to be a derailment, one of them cars laid over on its side would be a handy thing......

Doc O

I've done the same as Ranch 13, works OK.

Doc

Dick Dastardly

I cut up the lead shielding from a beta ray counter.  Thank you Will Ketchum for that lead.  Many of the pieces were at least 25 lb.  I used my hydraulic wood splitter.  It worked very well, wasted no metal and was very safe.  I put a hard maple block on the shoe to act as an anvil and simply sheared the chunks off with the ram axe.  Quick, easy, safe and no waste.

So, if you have a hydraulic wood splitter, or a friend that has one, you're in.  You will chunk up that 25lb real quick and be lookin' for more.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on September 27, 2009, 08:16:56 AM
I cut up the lead shielding from a beta ray counter.  Thank you Will Ketchum for that lead.  Many of the pieces were at least 25 lb.  I used my hydraulic wood splitter.  It worked very well, wasted no metal and was very safe.  I put a hard maple block on the shoe to act as an anvil and simply sheared the chunks off with the ram axe.  Quick, easy, safe and no waste.

So, if you have a hydraulic wood splitter, or a friend that has one, you're in.  You will chunk up that 25lb real quick and be lookin' for more.

DD-DLoS

+1 on the wood splitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have gotten some counter weights from those vehicles they used to move jets around at miliitary bases years ago. Those run about 90lbs. My B-I-Ls hydraulic log splitter makes short work of them!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Ellsworth MacDoogle

Thanks for the replies! The wood splitter sounds very interesting...and I have a wood burning fireplace, so may be useful now and then for actually splitting wood  ;D ;D

Short Knife Johnson

I just had the visual of the lot of you holding up a train for the cargo of lead.  "No! leave the gold!  It's the lead we're after."  Wouldn't that make a dandy 6 o'clock news story.   

Dick Dastardly

I'm told that old sail boats have lead in the keel.  If that's so, it's likely cast in one piece.  That might be another good candidate for bullet lead.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com