Interested in NCOWS - Unsure about Gear

Started by OldMike, September 25, 2009, 02:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldMike

Hey All,

I've wanted to get into Cowboy Action Shooting for years, and for one reason or another have put it off.  I was originally intending to get involved with SASS, but have been reading up on NCOWS and really like the Working Cowboy class - as it seems to me if I was around back then I would probably be carrying 1 pistol and 1 rifle!

Currently I have an EMF Hartford (same as Rossi - Legacy Puma) 1892 in 44 Mag.  Unfortunately this has the safety located on top.  Is this rifle legal for NCOWS, even with the safety on there - or would I need to have the safety removed to make it legal?

For my pistol, I'm leaning towards either shooting a cap n' ball 1858 Pietta Remington or an EAA Bounty Hunter 44 Mag.  The Bounty hunter has a nickel finish and is very similar to the old style Vaqueros (it even has the transfer bar safety).  It is made by Weinrauch in Germany, and it is my understanding that it is the same exact six gun as the old Hawes Western Marshall.  Obviously I did not see it on the approved list and was wondering if this might qualify as an approved pistol for NCOWS?

My last question pertains to toting the rifle and ammo around.  I noticed that carts are not used for the Working Cowboy (which I am happy for since I'd rather avoid hauling around a big cart).  What methods do other cowboys use for carrying their stuff?  I was looking at getting maybe some saddle bags to keep the ammo and some gear in, and maybe a leather case with a strap for the 1892 lever action - is this what other people without a cart do?

Thanks for helping out on some basic questions.  I have back surgery coming up in a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to getting my gear together so that I can finally go out and shoot once I heal up.

Jed Cooper

Mike, the rifle is fine as is. I tote my junk ( ammo and such ) around  in either my saddle bags , or I use a canvas and leather masons bag. Many pards also use old fashioned carpet bags, which are available. As for the bounty hunter, someone else will have to chime in.  In the beginning, bring what you have. They will give you time to outfit yourself properly. Hope this helps.   Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

French Jack

Both the firearms are acceptable.  Bring them on and have fun.
French Jack

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: OldMike on September 25, 2009, 02:01:19 AM

My last question pertains to toting the rifle and ammo around.  I noticed that carts are not used for the Working Cowboy (which I am happy for since I'd rather avoid hauling around a big cart).  What methods do other cowboys use for carrying their stuff?  I was looking at getting maybe some saddle bags to keep the ammo and some gear in, and maybe a leather case with a strap for the 1892 lever action - is this what other people without a cart do?

Old Mike,

Clubs hosting NCOWS matches will have abundant rifle racks at each stage to accomidate shooters without a cart.   You will rest your rifle in the rack when not shooting.  I'd avoid investing in a sling or scabbard for the rifle for now.  Some saddle bags, or saddle pockets will carry all you need for a match.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

OldMike

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.  I'm excited at the prospect of finally getting started after all these years.

Thanks again.

Jed Cooper

Quote from: OldMike on September 25, 2009, 08:49:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.  I'm excited at the prospect of finally getting started after all these years.

Thanks again.

Mike, Where are you located?   Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

St. George

Now that you know your firearms are acceptable - look through the 'back pages' on this forum and in the 'Historical Society' forum.

You'll find threads on creating your Impression, and suggestions on how to do so fairly inexpensively, as well as a lot of advice on researching that'll save you money if contemplating a purhase.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Trap

Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

OldMike

Quote from: Jed Cooper on September 25, 2009, 09:48:33 AM
Mike, Where are you located?   Jed

I'm located in Fort Worth and I am planning on checking out the Texas Ten Horns once I'm back on my feet again.

Quote from: St. George on September 25, 2009, 11:11:12 AM
Now that you know your firearms are acceptable - look through the 'back pages' on this forum and in the 'Historical Society' forum.

You'll find threads on creating your Impression, and suggestions on how to do so fairly inexpensively, as well as a lot of advice on researching that'll save you money if contemplating a purhase.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hadn't had a chance to check out the Historical Society forum.  That should keep me busy for a while...

Quote from: Trap on September 25, 2009, 11:14:28 AM
   Good Luck on your surgery!

Thanks Pard!  I have an aversion to hospitals, but have a good sawbones and will be happy once I'm out.

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Trap on September 25, 2009, 11:14:28 AM
   Good Luck on your surgery!

I'll second that, and hope you enjoy shooting with NCOWS.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Major 2

Quote from: OldMike on September 25, 2009, 04:02:30 PM
I'm located in Fort Worth and I am planning on checking out the Texas Ten Horns once I'm back on my feet again.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I hadn't had a chance to check out the Historical Society forum.  That should keep me busy for a while...

Thanks Pard!  I have an aversion to hospitals, but have a good sawbones and will be happy once I'm out.

Drat !  to bad it's not Lake Worth  :-X
I'm still looking to build an NCOWS club here in Florida....

Best of luck with your surgery
when planets align...do the deal !

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: OldMike on September 25, 2009, 04:02:30 PM

OldMike,

We have club members who travel from the Fort Worth area for our monthly NCOWS matches.  When you are ready to join us, drop me a line and I'll get you in touch with some of those folks.  I'm sure they'd be happy to carpool with you.

God's speed on your recovery,

Pancho

P.S.:  If you want to come out and try out some of the various firearm designs before you purchase, let me know.  We have many club members who are happy to bring some spare irons for a new shooter.  Lethal Larry, Cole, & myself usually travel with a spare set of guns.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

kflach

OldMike,

You'll enjoy the Ten Horns - they're a mighty hospitable bunch. I shot with 'em in August and had planned on joining them the last meet when it got rained out. I'm not able to go this weekend, but the first weekend of October I'm planning on becoming an official member. I, too, shoot a '58 Remington, so it'll be great to have someone else to compare notes with.

Look forward to meeting you! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com