serious reloading BP ?

Started by Buffalow Red, September 20, 2009, 10:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalow Red

shooting my 66 & rugers in 44-40.   shooters complaining that i have to much powder in the shells, that the percussion was to much.
i just fill er up (30 gr 2F swiss) top it with a dutchman 200 gr boolit
was told by several BP shooters to put 22-25 gr in & forget the rest, no filler needed  . a little air shace dont matter
so whats the reference on no air gap with BP
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

litl rooster

your 44-40 round, sounds good to me...you need compression so I would ignore the airspace remarks from those who know.< Note that is sarcasim
Mathew 5.9

Pulp

"(30 gr 2F swiss)"

There's your problem!   ;D

'Course some folks will complain about anything hotter than "poof-tink". :'(
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

litl rooster

LOL the onliest thing rong with swiss is the cost
Mathew 5.9

Icebox Bob

In my opinion you are right where you should be  !! ;)

;D If ther' is any 'airspace', it's in the minds of the complainers.  ;D

Just my tuppence  8)
(my 44-40's are full and compressed)
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Paladin UK

TRUST ME PARD........

:o Air space in BP loads is Reeeeeeel bad Kama!!  :o
Paladin (Whos bewlidered by what come folks come out with  ??? ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Jed Cooper

Quote from: Buffalow Red on September 20, 2009, 10:29:16 AM
shooting my 66 & rugers in 44-40.   shooters complaining that i have to much powder in the shells, that the percussion was to much.
i just fill er up (30 gr 2F swiss) top it with a dutchman 200 gr boolit
was told by several BP shooters to put 22-25 gr in & forget the rest, no filler needed  . a little air shace dont matter
so whats the reference on no air gap with BP
Air gap is a dangerous thing with real black powdder. C'mon over to NCOWS, you will be appreciated. We love Warthawgs.   Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

PUK;  Did you mean KARMA, or where you talking about the KAMA SUTRA?

Wierd :D ;D :o ;) ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Brizco-Z

Brother Red,

If iI read your post right, I FAIL TO SEE WHERE YA GOT ANY PROBLEM!!

Sounds like a mighty good load to me.

Brizco-Z

Karma.......................now, that's another issue

NRA  SASS - RO II, RATS, STORM & SCORRS
Old Scout & Order of the Arrow
DARKSIDER by Choice, VIRGINIAN by the Grace of God
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/Brizco-Z/

Doc O

Your load is fine.

Don't leave an air space.
If you feel the need to down load use some type of filler but no air space.

Doc

Deadguy

If they don't like the BANG they shouldn't be shooting guns!  You load is fine, but if you want it to be a bit more realistic, try stuffing around 40 grains BP into those loads.  Have fun, and safe shooting!
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Jefro

Quote from: litl rooster on September 20, 2009, 10:37:13 AM
your 44-40 round, sounds good to me...you need compression so I would ignore the airspace remarks from those who know.< Note that is sarcasim
No need to reduce your load. For those that don't like the percussion, explain to them you are shooting Black Powder!! 8) in one of the many SASS categories. The only air space that should concern you is between thier ears :P Kinda like going to a NASCAR race and complaining about the noise the cars make. ::)

Jefro ;D
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

litl rooster

Quote from: Brizco-Z on September 20, 2009, 02:34:52 PM

Brizco-Z

Karma.......................now, that's another issue

this just in..................................Dalai Lama failed to declare good karma in official register
Mathew 5.9

Buffalow Red

well these guys are my club, my freinds, so i wanted to show them the official reason there should be no air
dont want them to blow up or something like that
the 2 guys i am refering to said they been shooting with air in BP for 3 years with no apperent problems
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Buffalow Red on September 20, 2009, 05:44:13 PM
well these guys are my club, my freinds, so i wanted to show them the official reason there should be no air
dont want them to blow up or something like that
the 2 guys i am refering to said they been shooting with air in BP for 3 years with no apperent problems

They CAN (or may, if you prefer) get a ringed chamber.  Bad news.

And despite their apparent good luck, it CAN cause a cylinder to loose its' self-cohesion.  (Blow up)

Don't chance it.  Err on the side of caution.  And you won't be erring.  I don't claim to be an expert ... nor do I portray one on TV ... but I HAVE been shooting BP since 1973 or 4.  And I won't knowingly leave an airspace in a chamber of a C&B gun OR a cartridge.  Period.

Thank them for their kind words of advice, then go on using a full case of BP or BP Sub in your loads.  Just smile knowingly when the wussies say your loads are too powerful.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Blackpowder Burn

There's nothing more fun than watching the poof - tink shooters run for cover when I unlimber my 44-40's or 45 LC loaded full of the Holy Black!  I get comments like "You knock the targets down with the concussion!".  To which I reply - "Just so they go down, that's all that counts!"

I also get comments like - "If you keep shooting that powerful a load, you'll shoot your guns loose and ruin them".  To which I reply - "That seems strange, since I am shooting factory equivalent loads of 125 years ago.  And my guns are made of much better steel than they had then." Those folks usually scratch their head, get a funny look on their face, and walk away.

There are also a lot of comments about the cool smoke rings coming from the rifle and pistols, and jokes about ear muffs to cover the ear plugs when I shoot.

And then there are frequently those that say - "That look like fun.  Can I try shooting one of your guns?" I had that happen at last month's match when a small woman asked to try my guns.  She loved shooting them.  Now that's rewarding - maybe a future convert to the dark side.

Load 'em full and have fun with 'em!  Ain't that what we're here for?  Each person can shoot the guns and loads THEY prefer. ;D

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Fingers McGee

Don't listen to em Red.  They're probably just jealous anyhow.   :D

Fingers
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

fourfingersofdeath

Whats the point of spending a king's ransom on gear, dressing like a cowboy, driving squillions of miles to shoot a pop gun. Don't make a lick of sense.

When I was nursing my late wife, I didn't have time to reload, so I was using factory loads, Magtecs and later on Winchester cowboy loads (both SASS approved). I was shooting a 44/40 rifle and 45 handguns. At one big shoot I couldn't get cowboy ammo no how! I ended up getting 200 rounds of John Wayne 45Colt ($86 for 50, ouch, but I ain't satying home so I ponied up and paid for it. Man. that was pretty hot stuff, I think it was a 250Gn boolit doing 900 odd feet per second. All the gamers were howling (most thought it was a hoot!) I was making so much noise and flattening the targets.

One early shoot where I shot a pair of 44mags, I loaded up some rifle silly wet loads, travelling right on 1400fps :) to shoot the match with. Trouble is, I mixed em' up. I ripped my six gun out drilled (literally) a stell target at about 20 yeards and it tumbled end on end twice, coming to rest with the sun shining through the new hole I drilled through it. The range officer is a friend of mine and he shook his head with a smile and said, 'yer big lunk, you are now the proud owner of a moderately expensive target.'

People wern't using pop guns to defend themselves from baddies, Injuns (not to mention those bad a$$ed white fellas) and bairs. Imagine selling some frontiersman a lightly loaded 38, if he survived, he'd come back and put that pistol where the sun don't shine.  :'(
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Noz

Sound good to me Red. You should consider the people giving the advice and give them all the attention they deserve. NONE.
The noise from your 44-40s is not any where close to as damaging as the noise from a 38 special. Ours is a much lower frequency and is not nearly as damaging.
I'll shoot with you, time or count for you any day.

panhead pete

Gee Red,

What would they think if you were using 3F instead of 2F!!!!!

Kind regards,

Panhead Pete

Who likes em' smokey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com