Tallow, lard, etc. in boolit lube

Started by Silver Creek Slim, April 14, 2005, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Creek Slim

I was thinkin' (yes, that's dangerous) the other day about animal fat in boolit lubes. What are y'alls thought on different animal fats (beef, bison, pork, deer, goat, etc.) in boolit lubes? I made some lube the other day from hamburger grease. Anyone?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Howdy Doody

Howdy Slim,
I would think anything along the lard lines would work..............but.... some stuff turns rancid. I had some cookies made of just what you are talking about, kitchen drippings and I loaded them up in 45lc and shot them about 6 months later and it was the heat of  summer too. I had tears running down my face. The cookies had turned rancid. I now only use the sheep tallow I get from Dixie Gun Works and mixed in with the beeswax and either olive oil or crisco I don't have that problem of my loads turning sour on me any more. Something to consider at least. :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Bottom Dealin Mike

I use tallow in my lube...lamb or sheep tallow from Dixie Gun Works. It is excellent.

Over the years I've rendered my own lamb or beef tallow for lubes. It works great, but rendering is a stinky, greasy activity.

Your spouse will thank you for buying from Dixie, believe me.  ;D

Cuts Crooked

With the availability of inexpensive vegetable shortenings and olive oils I never saw any need to use animal fat based products in my lubes. ???
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Scattered Thumbs

I use lamb tallow. It works great.

I tried pork lard a few years back, it worked allright but after only half a dozen shots I was hungry as hell ;D

Bottom Dealin Mike

Well I'd have to get my calculator out, but I don't think lamb's tallow works out to be any more expensive than olive oil. I actually use less beeswax in my tallow lubes than I do in my oil lubes, so cost-wise i'd guess it's a wash.

I am able to get more shots without cleaning using lambs tallow lube in Lee two groove bullets than I could with oil-based lubes. I've never had any problems with rancidity, and I have a tin of the stuff in my shooting box all the time for C&B chamber mouths.

Silver Creek Slim

I have a neighbor that butchers lambs in the fall, so I can probably get as much tallow as I want. Also, I go deer hunting, so occasionally I get deer tallow.  ::) I was just curious about the properties of the different animal fats. Thanks, pards.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Cuts Crooked

Extra Virgin olive oil $9.95 for 68 fl oz. at the grocery store
Bees wax $5.75 for 20lbs locally

Cain't git much cheeper 'n dat! ;D
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Bottom Dealin Mike

Cuts, that is amazing!

I pay about $8 for 2lbs of beeswax.

If you can get 20 pounds for six dollars I would be very happy to buy 20 pounds from you. Please send me your mailing address. I'd be happy to pay $10 plus whatever you need for shipping.

You can email me direct at firelock50@comcast.net

Thanks!!!

Cuts Crooked

TWO POUNDS FER 6.00!?!?!?!?! :o

Egads man! Wat are those bees making? Gold!?!?!?!

It's early in the season here so my local bee keeper is using his stock to supplement his hives spring activity, but I'll be in touch this fall if he has a lot of extra again.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914

Bottom Dealin Mike

Absolutely get in touch with me then.

I buy mine from Mann Lake Ltd, a beekeeper and candlemaker supply house.

Grapeshot

It is so much easier to use bees wax and crisco with a couple of tablespoons full of Wonder Lube mixed in for good measure that the use of tallow is not necessary.  IMHO and experience.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Grapeshot on June 17, 2005, 12:18:37 PM
It is so much easier to use bees wax and crisco with a couple of tablespoons full of Wonder Lube mixed in for good measure that the use of tallow is not necessary.  IMHO and experience.
But, I'z cheap.  ;D

Slim

J.W.Neely

Crisco n  bees wax.
Bees wax is free, crisco is cheap, and so am I.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
Black powder shooting is like holding history in your hands.

Lou Graham

Wonnerful Hubby bought me lots of those little sticks of SPG that have a hole in them to fit right into the lube sizer. He says I'm doin' enough work already and don't need to be making concoctions for lubing my pretty shiny boolits.
I'm spoiled.  ;D
Soot Lady
You can never be too thin, too rich or have too much ammo

Uncle Eph

toilet rings, crisco and a shot of ballistol.
WARTHOG, GAF #364, SASS #53354, BOLD #549, SBSS #1483, STORM #5, NRA, CRSO, ASSRA, SDOP, SUV, GOFWG #19, 7-7-79 SNL WINNER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com