Ivory Substitute

Started by Pancho Peacemaker, September 19, 2009, 08:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho Peacemaker

In regards to firearms grips, which ivory substitute is most realistic?

I own some authentic ivory from Jim Alaimo which has beautiful grain and I also own some platic "ivory" grips from Ajax that look and feel like plastic.  I see those two examples as opposite ends of the spectrum in quality.

I know there are alot of options out there:  Tru Ivory, Corian, Micarta, et al ....

What is durable, feels good, and has the look to match real tusk?

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I like Eagle Grips, Ultra Ivory, they not only look like ivory, but feel like ivory too, and you don't have too worry about them shrinking.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Deadwood

Do any of you folks have experience with 'GRIPMAKERS' grips ? I know some others speak good of them....and I was considering him.

THanks Ten Wolves,,if ya would pard,,could ya pm' me some more information on the 'EAGLE GRIPS'...I'm considering dressing up a couple revolvers one day.

thanks

MD

Books OToole

I have a couple pairs of GripMakers' "ivory" grips.  They are pretty nice.  Trap has done some enhancements on the ones that he has:  adding grain etc., with scrimshaw techniques.  They look real good.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Sacramento Johnson

Howdy!
I'm fond of paper micarta.  It yellows over time and can have a grain look.  It's also very tough and impervious to the cleaners I've used over the years.  It's also fairly affordable. Currently I go to Don Collins at www.collinscraftgrips.com
and Cary C at www.clccustomgrips.com

I've also bought Eagle true Ivory; ok, but a little too bright white for my tastes.  I also picked up some white corian grips recently as well, but it doesn't feel as good in the hand as the micarta and looks a bit more like plastic to my eye than the micarta.

Steel Horse Bailey

From what I've seen, the MOST realistic I've seen is Tru Ivory.  In price, it's about half (or a bit more) than real ivory.

www.truivory.com
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Forty Rod

Quote from: Sacramento Johnson on September 19, 2009, 10:35:49 AM
Howdy!
I'm fond of paper micarta.  It yellows over time and can have a grain look.  It's also very tough and impervious to the cleaners I've used over the years.  

I agree.  The best I ever saw was from Tyler (The grip adapter-trigger shoe people), but they discontinued them years ago.  I bought paper micarta grip blanks, epoxied them together for the one piece look, and shaped them myself.  They age like ivory, have a grain like ivory, feel like ivory, scrimshaw like ivory, and are tough like Superman.

If I could get the raw material at a good price I'd make my own grips..
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

St. George

One thing you can say about Micarta is that it's double-tough.

I have Linen Micarta on my Randall Model 1 fighting knife, and we've been 'everywhere', with absolutely no problems, whatsoever.

It definitely shows a grain - and that makes for a non-slip grip - no matter whether it's wet with oil, water, sweat or whatever.

Often, you can buy blocks of it from those who sell knifemaking supplies.

A nice thing is that it has a 'density' that's very similar to real Ivory, so it gives a nise sense of balance to the finished piece.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Curley Cole

Some of the finest poly-ivory grips I have ever come across are from Boone Traders in Washington. They have ivory powder in the resin, and have the same feel as real ivory. The little circle in the picture is a piece of real ivory and side by side you can not tell the difference.

And they are reasonable at about $40 a set.

good shootin
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

French Jack

Boone Traders also has BONE grips, and they are both a natural material, and reasonably priced.
French Jack

Curley Cole

Boone also has real elephant ivory if you want. I got these for about $320 (which is a real good price for a set of ivories)

they are actually one of the legal importers of real ivory.

good shootin
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Capt. Montgomery Little

Curley Cole

The Cowboys
dammit gang

Tascosa Joe

Has anyone had any luck with Boone Trading answering the phone or returning calls from their answering machine.  I have tried a couple of times over the last 2 days with no luck?   ???

T Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Johnny McCrae

A friend of mine is in the Counter-top business and he gave me a piece of Corian called "Vanilla". I'm making a set of grips for my USFA. Attached are some pictures of a sample I made. I'm in the process now of making a finished pair.

Please excuse the lousy pictures. When you look at the actual grip it has more of an "off-white" caste.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Johnny

Those are really nice looking, and you did a very good job of shaping them too, that's what makes a custom pair so much better, everything matched up with the trigger guard and back straps, it looks like you also did a bang up job on the thinning. I like the color and the texture too,they don't have that plastic look, it doesn't have a too shinny of a look to them, and will probably grip a lot better to.  :D

Thanks for the look see  ::) 8)

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Curley Cole

Joe
I have spoken to them about answering the phone. I am sure they miss alot of business that way, but they are a small crew and will return your call soon.

Their prices and material is worth the wait..

curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Irish Dave

Very nice, Johnny. Good job.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on September 24, 2009, 01:17:55 PM
A friend of mine is in the Counter-top business and he gave me a piece of Corian called "Vanilla". I'm making a set of grips for my USFA. Attached are some pictures of a sample I made. I'm in the process now of making a finished pair.

Please excuse the lousy pictures. When you look at the actual grip it has more of an "off-white" caste.

Johnny, you say this is Corian, in yet it doesn't look like it, is it possible it might have another material in it, most the white corian I've seen almost has a transparent look about it, this Vanilla Corian looks more like ivory and less like plastic to me, it will be interesting to here how it holds up, I like the look.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com