Which replica firearms would you like to see available?

Started by Pancho Peacemaker, September 16, 2009, 07:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho Peacemaker

We have a decent selection of pre-1900 replica firearms to select from, but some designs have been ignored.

Which pre-1900 firearm design you like to see on the market?

My two choices:

1)  A Merwin Hulbert revolver

2)  A Burgess Shotgun
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

James Hunt

The 96 Mauser - it might help move me up from dead last in the working cowboy category  :D ,

At least until the next guy got one.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Delmonico

Myself I'd like to see a nice lightweight upland type hammer double shotgun, maybe 26 inch barrels and real, chokes, not screw ins.  Make the chokes tight so I can hone them to where I want.  Proper forching cones for card wads would be nice, gauge unimportant as long as they get the weight to no more than 6 1/2 pounds.  They made some, I've handled a couple and they are a joy to swing.

Did I mention I want it for bird hunting? ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Dusty Tagalon

I hope the A Merwin Hulbert revolver gets off the ground.

Brian

Black River Smith

First model SW Russian and a correct 1st Model Richards.

Then Colt Lightning & Thunderer
Black River Smith

Mogorilla

I would like a smith and wesson model 2 and a cooper double action C&B revolver.  Ideally I would love a Colt Root Revolving Carbine, not the full length one Palmetto made.   I have held an original Root carbine, real nice natural pointer, hand naturally went under the trigger, no worries about flash from the cylinder.  SWEET!!!

Mossyrock

Heck, I never thought I would live to see a repro Spencer, '76 Winchester or SA S&W ever hit the market!  Those three pretty much covered the objects of my lust and desire.....but, since you asked, I would like to see a deluxe version of the TTN 1878 Colt Double with color cased action and lock plates and a checkered stock and forend.  And while you are at it, give it 30" barrels in 10 gauge.  While we are dreaming, make it available in EIGHT gauge!   ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Jed Cooper

"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

St. George

Every so often, these 'Wish Lists' pop up, and creating a fantasy list is all well and good - but before you get 'too' invested - look at what it takes to field a new weapon.

'Customer Desire' is but one factor - and even if every C&WAS shooter wanted one - that's nowhere nearly enough folks to go into design - much less production.

The 'perceived demand' is just too low...

For example - folks have long wanted Merwin, Hulberts - but the sad truth of the matter is that they were an incredibly difficult piece to produce, due to the convolutions involved in the machining.

A good, 'honest' reproduction would be more expensive than a new Colt, Smith & Wesson or USFA from the factory, and C&WAS shooters would just bitch that they were 'too expensive' and not buy them - though they were the ones who'd signed all the petitions begging them to be built...

S&W found this out with their Schofields of a few years back, and that USFA Remington's likely never getting built - even though it did appear in Remington's catalog.

The manufacturer needs to have a sales base - and C&WAS isn't it, since they want Colt Quality at Ruger prices.

Neither is the 'Average Joe', since these weapons don't have the adjustable sights and the capability for Magnum cartridges that they prefer for hunting - plus, they're not ergonomically 'friendly' in the least for personal protection - and a big Merwin, Hulbert firing a full-patch .44 is a handful.

Then, there's the thought of introducing a new, highly specialized firearm in an economy that's wobbling - and during a 'firearms un-friendly' administration.

It all boils down to the manufacturer's pragmatism - if there's no 'real' voiid to fill with a product beyond a select few, then that niche goes unfilled, because the associated costs involved with R&D, Design, Tooling, Advertising,  and so on and so forth just aren't going to be re-couped - and in this market, that's a lose-lose proposition.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Cactus Rope

Hey pards, you that are interested in Merwin Hulberts might take a look at this site.

www.merwinhulbertco.com

This might satisfy your longing.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Dusty Tagalon

It may if it makes it into production. 20% non refundable on $1250 price is a risk.

Dusty

James Hunt

Way to go St. George!!!   >:( That was like your Mom and Dad coming home early and discovering the party!!!  >:( 8) >:(

Here we are proposing ideas that would meet the needs of the honest working man and woman, hard working Americans who make up this country, and you spout the selfish nay-saying capitalistic rhetoric that is bantered about amongst the likes of those elitist NCOWS Wall Street Regulators at their luxurious Hyannis Port range. Greedy men who have never done a day's labor and seek to deny the disenfranchised majority their right to have a piece of the CAS dream as they play with their cased set originals.

We can not wait any longer. People must have access to their basic human right to shoot period correctly, this should not simply be the province of the rich - it is a matter of fairness. People like you St. George must put some skin in the game. As a famous lady once said, "Some need to do with less so that others can shoot have more!"

We need a firearms equity Czar! We need to recognize these old guns for what they truly are - art (that way we can get some of those National Endowment for the Arts dollars). We need to put more Italians Chinese Americans back to work! Investing in reproduction firearms just makes economic sense!!!

We need to demand our share of those stimulus dollars!!!!!!!

(For those whose cable channel does not leave ESPN: that was tongue in cheek  ;D)
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

St. George

I know - it's just part of my nature...

As to the suggested website - he's trolling for enough dollars to set up production and do all the necessary work - they're 'not' being built any time soon - if ever.

There's also the chance that he's just trolling for dollars, and that 'non-refundable' comment gives credence to that...

Hell, James - even 'I' would like a truly shootable Merwin, Hulbert Pocket Army in .44 - but right now, you can spend the same amount and buy a decent original from time to time - and then you 'have' something that'll continue to appreciate in value and that has a real history.

There are a helluva lot of 'good' old weapons still out there - that haven't been swept up by dealers and collectors.

After all - this is 'America' and once we figured out manufacturing - we never made one of anything...

The trick is in getting the word out there that you'll pay fair prices and that you won't screw anyone over - so if you can do that - I think you'll be pretty surprised.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Tascosa Joe

Quote from: Delmonico on September 16, 2009, 07:28:51 PM
Myself I'd like to see a nice lightweight upland type hammer double shotgun, maybe 26 inch barrels and real, chokes, not screw ins.  Make the chokes tight so I can hone them to where I want.  Proper forching cones for card wads would be nice, gauge unimportant as long as they get the weight to no more than 6 1/2 pounds.  They made some, I've handled a couple and they are a joy to swing.

Did I mention I want it for bird hunting? ;)

Del:  Have you looked at a Huglu.  TR Imports in Southlake, Texas is the US distributor (I think) I have looked at a 12 ga hammer gun at their shop.  I think it has screw in chokes though.

Tascosa Joe

BTW:  The eye of round turned out really good.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Jed Cooper

I will start this out with I own an unfired M&H 44-40 cal. with 2 barrels, skull crusher, folding hammer,in I think pristine condition. Some on here have seen it. I don't intend to shoot it. Just too nice. I would, however pay a considerable price for a new one or two. As long as it was accurate  in design. The only reason I don't own a pair of S&W 's is they caved in to the lawyers, by changing the firing pin to the frame mounted design. IMHO  ,that's why the new S&W failed. Those who know me will attest that I am willing to do what ever it takes to get the toys I need to portray  the character I wish to Emulate.     Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Ottawa Creek Bill

For those of you that have never seen a NIB M&H, you need to see Dave (Jed Cooper) Hollandsworth's M&H. I've held this beautiful piece and it looks as if it has never been fired. It is absolutely pristine. Maybe if we are real nice, Dave would be willing to post a photo of it here.

If I were looking for a revolver that I would like to see made, it would be the M&H, or a true Colt Walker, made completely by Colt in the Colt factory here in the USA.

I would gladly pay a fair price for either.......say in the under $1500.00 range for either of those firearms.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Ottawa Creek Bill on September 17, 2009, 02:19:30 PM
For those of you that have never seen a NIB M&H, you need to see Dave (Jed Cooper) Hollandsworth's M&H. I've held this beautiful piece and it looks as if it has never been fired. It is absolutely pristine. Maybe if we are real nice, Dave would be willing to post a photo of it here.

If I were looking for a revolver that I would like to see made, it would be the M&H, or a true Colt Walker, made completely by Colt in the Colt factory here in the USA.

I would gladly pay a fair price for either.......say in the under $1500.00 range for either of those firearms.

Bill

I'll agree totally with Bill about Dave's M&H.  Looks new.

I don't have any specific "wish list" of guns ... I simply don't KNOW (off the top of my head) what to wish for.  ('Cept a Merwin &  Hulbert like Dave's, only NOT a museum piece, rather one that could be shot.)  I only wish that WHATEVER gun gets made is something that is totally different than what is available now.  In other words, I don't wish for a "4th Model So-&-So" when the 2nd model is out.  JMHO and your mileage may will probably vary.  (I DO understand, 'tho!  ;) )

Mostly, I'd "wish" that I could simply afford whatever cool gun is available!

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

James Hunt

OCB: There are still second generation Colt Walkers out there - they're as close to the real deal as we will ever get. Yes I know the history, but some of the gun was made in this country, it was all assembled in this country, and it was inspected at the Colt factory. It factory letters from Colt (unlike the signature series). All markings are correct, no de-farbing necessary. I just saw two Walkers at a gun show last weekend with box, $750 and $800. There was a real Walker there also but it was not being sold.

I have two 1860's and a 2nd model Dragoon 2nd gen, shooting the Dragoon is just the optimal experience. I once turned down a 2nd gen Walker for $500 from Dorsey's site  :'( :'( :'(. These guns are probably as nice as anything that came out of the factory in the mid-1800's. I'd highly recommend their purchase investment! And of course you'll let me shoot it right?

Tell Dave not to leave that M&H laying around me, its unused status will end quickly. I once bought a NIB 2nd gen Colt with BP frame, the dealer was  so proud of its status. I was decent about the whole deal but the moment I got into the car I was pulling that hammer back, and within the hour had put a few rounds thru it.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

My choice, to be affordable might be out of the question and an unrealistic expectation to begin with, would be an Evans rifle. Now we're talkin'.

A 34 shot 26, 28, or 30 inch barrel Evans rifle was $34.00 in the 1882 J.H. Johnston Great Western Gun Works catalog, not exactly cheap back then.

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Will Ketchum

Every time this topic came up in the past I would reply with "a S&W New Model Number 3"  then Beretta made the Laramie, which was nice but in the wrong caliber. I have given up hope of ever seeing a proper one.  :'( I still feel if they would have made it in 44 Russian instead of 45 Colt they would have sold many more and might still be making them. :)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com