New to me Old Sewing Machine

Started by JD Alan, September 16, 2009, 10:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy to all. A shooting friend loaned me a Singer sewing machine. He's done auto upholstery for years, and used this machine. He bought it from the Pendleton Woolen Mill years ago. Some time ago he bought a Consew with more features than this Singer, so it's been sitting in his shop taking up valuable space.

Before we transferred it to my place, we made sure that it would sew leather. I bought some machine thread from Tandy, and we gave it a shot. You can see the example of the stitching on the belt. We also put two pieces of 9-10 oz leather, plus a 4-5 oz liner together through it, and it sewed up with no problem.

Fortunately, my wife is a heck of a seamstress, and a real pro with sewing machines. She's run it through its paces, and will sew anything I need to do.

It has a 1/2 hp motor, and a walking foot. It does not reverse, but Chris says she can handle that. As long as I want to use it, it's mine. If I want to buy it, he would sell it to me for $375.00, but says I can just keep it and use it as long as I want. 
I know machine sewing is not everyone's cup of tea. If anyone knows anything about this type of machine, I would appreciate any info I could get.

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Dalton Masterson

That would be great for lining belts and stuff JD!

I am thinking this winter that I will start fiddling with my Adler, and see if I can learn to use it. Some stuff just takes too long to handsew...... (moneybelts, lined belts, etc)

DM (who really doesnt like to make belts)
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

JD Alan

That's just what I was thinking Dalton. I'm trying to make some double loop shotgun belts, and I want to line them. I'm such a lousy sewer, it would take me forever, and look terrible. I think it would work to sew lining onto holsters, though I will most likely hand sew the main seam. I'm practicing saddle stitching now. I have more trouble punching the holes than I do sewing.

outrider

Way to go JD...that machine will work for you....as far as a reverse you can turn your work and back stitch to lock the stitch run.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Good for you JD, maybe this will be the answer to your sewing needs, if speed is what you're looking for this should do it, the machine looks to be in very good condition, my wife's aunt had a machine just like this one, and did upholstery also.

Let us know how it works out for you, it's nice that you have your wife to help you out like this.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

JD Alan

It's not about speed, 10 Wolves, it's about neatness and accuracy. The examples below show my latest stitching attempt, using the Obborne stitching chisel, and some (too thin) Tandy thread. I rest my case!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

JD, don't give up on yourself, learning how to stitch takes time to perfect, the only way to get better is by doing, like they say " Practice Makes Perfect " believe me if I can sew with the bad hand I have, you can too, just don't give up on yourself, somethings just can't be rushed and if you keep at it the reward of great looking stitching will be worth it, This sewing machine will be a great asset to you in your leather work though, but don't give up on your hand skills, I know, because I did when first starting out, and it was WC and Outrider that told me not to give up on myself, and they were right, so hang in there Pard everything in due time, it will come, as you know you have to have faith in yourself.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really cool, JD. I would use the heck out of a machine like that. Bullet loops are the biggest time sink and that will make them a whole lot quicker. Congrats.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Ace Lungger

Howdy JD,
Way to go, on the machine!! But like TW said, hand sticking takes a lot of work to get right! But I will allways hand stich my holsters! I did get my machine running, I just can't get it to run at a slow enough speed! So I am going to build a step down pully drive and use 2 belts, and that also won't take any power away from the motor.
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Thanks guys I appreciate the encouragement. I've tried the Tandy stitching chisel, Osborne's chisel, a Dremel and a drill bit, and various awls, in an attempt to get some decent holes punched; not too big, and not too small. I've still got to settle on a thread size, and try to match it with the holes.

A larger diameter (thicker) thread would have been better for the holster pictured above, but I kept on stitching, because I made it for the practice, and to see how well that pattern fits my Vaqueros.

Slowhand Bob

Jd, looks like a really nice stitch to me and you do not need to go to large on that thread anyway.  I will second the notion that you do want to spend some time practicing the hand sewing skills as they will always be a valuable asset to your overall leather skills.  Even if you do decide to move up to a bigger machine later, this one would be ideal for the lighter to medium weight leathers such as chaps and garments are made from.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com