indulge me...more rifle choices

Started by Mississippi Sam, September 11, 2009, 12:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mississippi Sam

howdy!

From everything I'm reading, it would seem that a Marlin 1894 would be a great choice for a first CAS rifle, but I'm just not crazy about the looks.  I really like the look of the 1873, but the only rifle in my price range is Chaparral, but I haven't read too many happy reports on that rifle.  Any thoughts on Chaparral?

Also, I like the looks of the Henry big boy.  How what that stack up to the Marlin '94, or the Chaparral '73?

Thanks y'all, and I hope you're having a happy Friday on this terrible day in American history.  Love and prayers to all affected.

Bitter Creek Jack

You will probably hear about as many good things about the Big Boy as you do the Chaparral.  I finally broke down and bought a 1866.
Rockcastle Rangers  Temporary Website for club www.rlsphoto.net
Highland Regulators (Possum Trot)
Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild
Dooley and Dunnit Member

robtlah

I have a Chaparral 73, .357 mag rifle (24 in. barrel.) Out of the box performance was poor. I took it to my local cowboy gunsmith and he gave it a standard tune-up. It works beautifully now. I can easily work the lever with one finger...used to have to jerk it hard and it was prone to mis-feeding cartridges. I haven't had that problem since it was worked on. I'm very satisfied with it and the wood looks more realistic than the Uberti finish, in my opinion. Case hardening isn't too bad either.
Lawdog Bob

Blackpowder Burn

I don't personally have any experience with the Henry Big Boy, but have a friend who owns one.  He is very happy with the rifle.  I know others with the Golden Boy 22's.  I have to say that they have the slickest out of the box actions I've seen, and I like the attitude of the company.  They've advertised pretty routinely on Fox News - which says a lot of good things about both organizations.

Take a look at the video in the link below.  It's an hour long interview with the President of Henry Repeating Arms on RFDTV.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/freestuff_rfd1.cfm
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Forty Rod

Quote from: Mississippi Sam on September 11, 2009, 12:08:34 PM
howdy!

From everything I'm reading, it would seem that a Marlin 1894 would be a great choice for a first CAS rifle, but I'm just not crazy about the looks. 

Also, I like the looks of the Henry big boy. 

HMMMM!

Looks like you got that strangeness gene from both sides of your family.  I think both the Marlin and the Big Boy are butt ugly, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream: everyone to their own taste.   ::)

You might shop around for a used '73 or '66.  Checkout everybody's classifieds and advertise for what you're looking for yourself.

I'd sell you my ''73 or'66, but I don't think you can meet my price.   ;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com