Ready for Cody Dixon Match

Started by Blackpowder Burn, September 10, 2009, 07:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackpowder Burn

I've been tinkering with a new Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 with the aim of shooting Cody Dixon with it.  I apologize for not remembering who, but a wise soul on this forum advised me to try Goex Express FFFg for best performance and accuracy.  Boy, was he right!  So thanks - whoever it was! 

I've attached a photo of the group I shot today with it - 1-1/8".  The load was Starline 2.125" brass, a Big Lube 255 grain bullet, 46 grains Goex Express, 0.030" fiber wad and a Federal Magnum Match primer.  I had a limited number of bullets to load, so this is only a 3-shot group.  Howver, it was head and shoulders better than those with standard FFg and FFFg Goex.  I know longer shot strings will yield larger groups, but I'm comfortable I can shoot the matches with no problems - at least, none attributable to the rifle or ammunition!

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Dick Dastardly

Get yer pot hot Aggie,

That new mold is on it's way.  I mounted the handles for you.  Run yer metal around 750°F.  Now you don't ever have to run out of bullets to shoot with that rifle.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Blackpowder Burn

Dick,

It'll be ready!  I have my first Cody Dixon match scheduled for mid-October, so I'll get busy casting and loading as soon as the mold arrives.  The only potential holdup is that I had to order a custom 0.380" sizing die for the bullets from Buffalo Arms.  I just hope it is in stock, and not on backorder.

My Christmas list includes a 44 Mav, a 45-250 PRS and a 158 Snakebite mold.  ;D

Speaking of which, do you have any experience loading the 158 Snakebite in the 38 S&W?  I just picked up an S&W breaktop in that caliber and am looking forward to side matches with it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com