Shooting procedure

Started by Jbar4Ranch, September 10, 2009, 08:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbar4Ranch

Although the manual doesn't say so, it appears to me that the hammer should be cocked, or at least half cocked, before levering, or there is a risk of damage to the firing pin. What say you - lever and cock, or cock first, then lever?

French Jack

I cock it first, then lever the action.  That way the firing pin is able to withdraw and does not drag over the rim and  risk breakage.  It also gets the hammer out of the way so the empty case has more room to exit.
French Jack

Trailrider

Quote from: French Jack on September 10, 2009, 09:31:54 AM
I cock it first, then lever the action.  That way the firing pin is able to withdraw and does not drag over the rim and  risk breakage.  It also gets the hammer out of the way so the empty case has more room to exit.

I agree! Though I have NOT shot any of the replicas, I have done extensive research (some years back) and shot an original M1860 carbine in .56-56, with the S&S central fire conversion block.  Although I set the firing pin in the conversion block up as an inertia firing pin, there was always the chance of the firing pin sticking, and being broken on opening.  Worse, there was always the potential for a slam-fire as the block was closed.

For slow-fire events, pulling the hammer to half-cock before levering, and then going to full cock might be a prudent technique.  For rapid fire, or if I had been in a firefight, I'd have pulled the hammer to full cock, lever, and fire!  It ain't as fast as a Henry Repeating rifle or subsequent models, but it would probably help keep from winding up in Andersonville, or from losin' yer hair out West.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Grapeshot

Having shot my spencer in compitition I can attest that you should pull the hammer back prior to levering the action.  Makes follow up shot easier.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com