Didja ever wonder....

Started by Pulp, September 06, 2009, 11:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulp

....if you were born in the wrong century? 

Something about any muzzle loader and especially percussion revolvers has always held a strange fascination to me, even before I ever held or shot one.  I remember an article in Argosy magazine (dang I'm gittin' old) about some guys hunting alligators in Florida with 51's and thinking how I was way more interested in the guns than the story.  Whenever I saw one on TV or in the movies I thought how much better they looked than the later cartridge guns.  I didn't know what they were back then, but I always thought they just looked better.
Then one day my brother brought home a '58 Remington (replica of course).  I can't really explain why, but I knew how to load and shoot it, even though at that time I'd never fired any type of muzzleloader.  And it was fun to shoot.  I've been hooked ever since, although I've never owned a '58.
I don't believe in reicarnation, and I know from my biology degree that there is no scientific basis for "inherited memories", but I have to wonder if I'm remembering something that an ancestor experienced.  There's some places I've been to that also stir up some kind of old memories that have no explanation.  The strongest feeling comes when I'm at the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near Lawton/Ft Sill, OK.
Anyway, I'm just kinda bored and rambling today. 

Does anyone else feel those "old memories" or an I just weird?
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Paladin UK

Fer Pulp..........

;D WWCAS!!!!  ;D

:D Bloody Brill Pard!!  :D
Paladin (What thought he wuz ::) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Pulp

We'll just have to schedule a get together and settle this once and for all time. ;D
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

litl rooster

is there an award for 3rd place?
Mathew 5.9

Wills Point Pete

Except for modern medicine y'all might be right. While I actually prefer the ca'tridge guns of the second half of the 19th Century I durn sure like the laws of those days. And I really like the way it was considered bad manners to delve, uninvited, into a stranger's business.

Dick Dastardly

I kinda like livin' in the now and being able to dip back into the past.  I'm thinkn' of inventin a DD Time Travel Transporter.  I'll call it the DDTTT.  It'll be fun to buy some of 'em old guns before they get all rusty.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Deadguy

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on September 07, 2009, 08:25:34 AM
I kinda like livin' in the now and being able to dip back into the past.  I'm thinkn' of inventin a DD Time Travel Transporter.  I'll call it the DDTTT.  It'll be fun to buy some of 'em old guns before they get all rusty.

DD-DLoS

Will that be offered for sale on your website by the Tower O' Power? ;)
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Paladin UK

Fer Deadguy........

Will that be offered for sale on your website by the Tower O' Power?

Bloody  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Brill !!

Paladin (Whats on the floor!! :D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Professor Marvel

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on September 07, 2009, 08:25:34 AM

DD-DLoS

Indeed...
I like the advantages of indoor plumbing, providing guarenteed clean washing washing and drinking water at the turn of a tap has made the scourges of Plague and Dysentary a thing of the past... Daily bathing helps prevent fleas, and dysentary.... even In the 20's  dysentary was not  uncommon in England and Italy....

discounting 3rd world encounters there are periodic outbreaks of the nasty things here and there when clean water supplies are disrupted and  people forget/neglect to wash thoroughly and boil drinking/cooking water.

Antibiotics have made death by blood poisoning a rarity - but in 1924 Coolidge's son died of blood poisoning from an infected blister.

the list does go on.... back then only the really strong survived

I was once advised by an old Swede that I should take traditional Swedish steam baths which includes jumping into frozen lakes the through a whole  in the ice in sub-zero F weather. He said it would make me live to a ripe old age. I countered that it merely kills the weak ones off while they are still young :-)

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

praeceptor miraculum

~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Dick Dastardly

I had a few malfunctions with the prototype.  The dang thing went the wrong way three years and I can't afford the taxes then.  Obama's health care penalty is costing me $2500.00 plus my property occupancy permit for not letting illegals in puts me over the top.  I've got to get this thing turned around pronto.  Help.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Noz

?????DDTTT??????

Nope, no market for it.

All's ya has to do it strap on the c & b revolvers grab yore hat and commence slinging lead.
Immediate trip back to the days of the cowboy.

Paladin UK

Noz says.........

QuoteAll's ya has to do it strap on the c & b revolvers grab yore hat and commence slinging lead.
Immediate trip back to the days of the cowboy.

Sooooooooooo Truuuuuuuuuuuue !!

Paladin (What lurvs playin Cowboy!!  ;D ) UK

Paladins Web Site

Dick Dastardly

Well, ok then.  To heck with technology.  I don't like where it was takin' me any way.

So, I strap on my leather filled with BP pistols and sally forth proclaiming the virtue of wimmen, sanctity of poker and the honesty of good whiskey, seeking my fortune unimpeded by the vagaries of party politics in the company of my own choosing?  Room for myownself to come into my own without the restrictions of politically proper behavior?

I'm all for it.

SASS, here I come!!!!

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Noz

There ya go!!!!!
It's 1860 in the DD household.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com