SMVC Long range

Started by J.R. Logan, September 06, 2009, 11:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.R. Logan

Have tried to have 2 Long Range rifle shoots down at the range and cowboys are not showing up.  If this is something that there is no interest in please let me know and I will stop trying to put on this type of shoot.

Do not want to spend time on this if no one is going to come shoot.  I have enough other things to do with 3 kids at home then to go to the range and look at myself.

J. R. Logan

Pancho Peacemaker

J.R.,

Have you tried advertising your long distance shoots to your local SASS clubs?  Maybe just sending thier officers an email.  I don't know your area well, but around here alot of the SASS guys also shoot BPCR and they'd jump on a chance to break out their buffalo rifles.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Steel Horse Bailey

Not ignoring your post, John (JR).

I can't add or comment.  I think you tried to get these things going while I was sick (May 'thru mid-August) as I don't even remember them.  I'm very sorry.  I'd have liked to attend.  A mind - and memory - are terrible things to lose.

::)  :P

I think that the long-range (mid) will probably have to wait until next spring.  There seems to be some insurance issues coming up.  (I'll post more about this when I have all details.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Daniel Nighteyes

Please also recall that some folks are simply intimidated by the concept of long range -- they get these erroneous images and such (you know what I mean).  Work hard to make it less intimidating, and they will come...

-- Daniel (whut luvs ta intimidate center-fire shooters by hitting targets at 400+ yards wit' his bolt-action 22) Nighteyes

Dutch Limbach

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on September 10, 2009, 05:19:12 PM
Please also recall that some folks are simply intimidated by the concept of long range -- they get these erroneous images and such (you know what I mean).  Work hard to make it less intimidating, and they will come...

-- Daniel (whut luvs ta intimidate center-fire shooters by hitting targets at 400+ yards wit' his bolt-action 22) Nighteyes

You haven't met Peevine. He'll shoot a long range match with his pistol.

"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: Dutch Limbach on September 10, 2009, 05:35:53 PM
You haven't met Peevine. He'll shoot a long range match with his pistol.

Now, THAT's someone after me own heart!   :D :D :D :D

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Daniel Nighteyes on September 10, 2009, 09:22:31 PM
Now, THAT's someone after me own heart!   :D :D :D :D

Yep, Peevine is a keeper!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Jed Cooper

Saw Peevine shoot a 3x4 buffalo at 350 yds repeatedly with a 44spl. colt.    (I think I hate him)  (Now I know I hate him)  >:( ;D ;D  Jed
"Jed Cooper" aka: Dave Hollandsworth

Olde Cop,  NCOWS #2841, Maker of BIG SMOKE, GAF #500
F&AM PM, NRA Life, FOP - Retired , BOLD #615,* Warthawg! ,Hirams Rangers #31, 1860 Henry #97, STORM#351
Marshal - Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society,
http://greatlakesfmc.home.insightbb.com/scarlet.htm
Posse Member - http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Jed Cooper on September 11, 2009, 04:21:56 AM
Saw Peevine shoot a 3'x4' buffalo at 350 yds repeatedly with a 44spl. colt.     >:( ;D ;D  Jed

... And in case anyone misunderstands Jed's comment, Peevine shot that target with a 44 spl. Colt Revolver  with a 7 1/2" barrel !!!

:o

;D ;D ;D

As I said, he's a keeper!

Capt. Montgomery Little

Would really like to meet Peevine as there are durned few of us who can do that. I use either a JP Sauer w/43/4 bbl or my Ruger Bisley w/71/2 bbl. and a load of 7.5 Unique/265 Keith bullet in 44 Spl. I am also acquainted with a number of others who are better than I. We are all members of the Shootists and have a week each year at the NRA Whittington Center set aside to whang at targets from 50-1000 yds ( 600-1000 yds must be done with a rifle as it is considered impolite to use a revolver...egos, you know!). FYI, no brag, just fact.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Capt. Montgomery Little on September 12, 2009, 09:53:39 PM
Would really like to meet Peevine as there are durned few of us who can do that. I use either a JP Sauer w/43/4 bbl or my Ruger Bisley w/71/2 bbl. and a load of 7.5 Unique/265 Keith bullet in 44 Spl. I am also acquainted with a number of others who are better than I. We are all members of the Shootists and have a week each year at the NRA Whittington Center set aside to whang at targets from 50-1000 yds ( 600-1000 yds must be done with a rifle as it is considered impolite to use a revolver...egos, you know!). FYI, no brag, just fact.

Cool, Cap'n Little!

Capt. Montgomery Little

Jeff,  Are you going to be able to make it to the 09 GAF Muster? Would really like to talk to you in person. Even thinking about entering longrange side matches with a 44-40 revolver since I registered as a Staff Officer. If I end up with egg in my beard, so be it but it won't be because I didn't try. Too much fun to be had to not give it a shot.

Bvt LTC Montgomery Little, Senior Chaplain, GAF

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Capt. Montgomery Little on September 13, 2009, 09:39:40 PM
Jeff,  Are you going to be able to make it to the 09 GAF Muster? Would really like to talk to you in person. Even thinking about entering longrange side matches with a 44-40 revolver since I registered as a Staff Officer. If I end up with egg in my beard, so be it but it won't be because I didn't try. Too much fun to be had to not give it a shot.

Bvt LTC Montgomery Little, Senior Chaplain, GAF

Capt. Little,

I'm afraid that my (actually "we"; Jed Cooper & I) year-long  plans had to get scrubbed late last month.  Dave's (Jed) work kinda blew up and he found that he has had to change his plans.  The plans for us to attend the 1st Texas Regional were already in place for Nov. and I'm afraid that finances will only allow me one long-range trip this year.

Col. Pitspitr had IM'ed me that someone was coming from Va. and perhaps I could share trip expenses, but alas, it's not to be.

I really like your attitude regarding possibly getting "egg in your beard," but I doubt that'll happen!  44-40 (44 WCF) would be a good caliber to try with.  If all you have to do is ring a gong ... or something of that nature ... it'll certainly do the job!  Good luck, and above all, have fun!

With regret(s),

Bvt. LT.Col. Jeffry C. "Steel Horse Bailey"

Capt. Montgomery Little

Jeff,   Sorry to hear of your situation but first things first. We will expect a full report of your trip to Texas upon your arrival back home. I thank you for your kind words and shall endeavor not to let any of our 44-40 brethren down.

Concedo Nulli!
Bvt LTC Montgomery Little , Senior Chaplain and Mo Div. Cmdr, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com