New Walker

Started by Deadguy, September 04, 2009, 04:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadguy

Hey, i traded up for a Walker, and this is what I got.  After refinishing it to how the originals were done.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Wolfgang

Lookin' good  :)   Who made it ?   :)   Shot it yet ?
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Deadguy

It's an Uberti, and no, I haven't shot it..yet!
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Dick Dastardly

'em are horse pistols in the truest sense.  Ya didn't carry 'em around on yer person, you had a horse to haul 'em around.  They are true cavalry fire power.

Watch that loading lever.  It wants to drop down and then the rammer gums up the works.  Duct tape holds it up real good. . . . grin.

I want to shoot with you at Ripon when you have that pistol.  We'll smoke up the valley.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

fourfingersofdeath

They are an awesome pistola that's for sure.

If you had one in that condition back in the old days, they would have said you wern't looking after it properly and it already looks like an old pistol.  ;D

Surely some of the smarter operators made a sliding clip or something to stop dropping the crank in the middle of the melee .
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Deadguy

I fixed the lever deal.  Just turn the round latch into a hookish latch, and no more dropping.  I'll be shooting it and my Dragoon together.  I figure those should make a good pair.  As far as when, it's looking like next spring is when I'll finally be able to shoot again, due to my new work schedule.

will52100

I've got a pair that I used to shoot at CAS matches.  Lots of smoke and boom.  I did what you did with the loading leaver spring, have to use a screw driver or the end of the powder spout to depress it enough to drop the leaver, but as long as the srews don't back out from repeated firing the loading leavers will not drop.  They sure are fun, but you just about have to work out with wieghts to be able to hold one steady in each hand!
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Pulp

A couple of years ago I loaded up one of my Walkers to carry on a hog hunt.  55 grains under a 180 grain Buffalo Ball-et.  I didn't shoot it that day, and thought, "Heck, I've got a CAS coming up so I'll just leave it loaded."  Pulled the caps the morning I left for the shoot, then re-capped at the loading table of the first stage.  Turned out the first stage was shooting through a window from inside a cabin.   At my first shot a lady spotter behind me screamed "My God what was that!"  By the 5th shot I had the cabin to myself.  Even the TO was waiting for me outside. ;D

This was before my chronograph days.  I've since found that my standard 45 grain spout (actually throws around 43 grains by weight) will produce an average velocity of around 995fps with a round ball.

BTW, my chronograph days are over.  I've recently learned that while a chrony will record the velocity of a bullet going over it, it will not record the velocity of a bullet going through it. :'(
2004  Badlands Bar 3 Four States Champion, Frontiersman
(I was the only one there)

WWCAS (World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter)

Flint

I think what Deadguy meant by refinishing to how the originals were done, is that, for some reason, Colt (Whitney?) never blued the cylinders on the Walkers.  Though the frame looks stripped as well in the photo is just the result of Uberti's typical lackluster color case on their frames.  The hammers and loading levers are usually pretty nice, but their frames are usually pretty flat.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

Deadguy:  Just one word ... Bravo!

That Walker and your Dragoon will be a peach of a pear ... er, pair.  ;)

;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadguy

That's right, Flint.  The frame colors are pretty dull and lackluster, but that's just how they are, not from wear or refinishing.  The cylinder was intentionally stripped of the black Italian paint-ish finish and polished, to be like the originals, and the same was done with the barrel, which was then fire blued.  Also removed the awful Uberti orange polyurethane from the grips (Does Uberti really expect us to believe that orange polyurethane existed in 1847???) and rubbed on boiled linseed oil.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com