Does anyone have a Weaver Price list?

Started by Ace Lungger, September 03, 2009, 06:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards, If anyone has a Weaver price list, I know this will scare me to death, but I would like to know how much 65-3050 cost.
I will be great full for any and all help!
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboy316

hey there Ace dumb question ive got the dvd catalog  and cant find a 65-3050 if you could tell me more bout it i can let ya know
Cowboy316

Ace Lungger

It is the Oval US stamp to put on the military flap holsters1
thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

cowboy316

ok Ace the catalog i have is just the machinery ill have to look around for the other price list ive gor for them
Cowboy316

Springfield Slim

Ace: in the 2005 catalog I have it is 75.00. Doubt if it has gotten any cheaper since then!
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Slowhand Bob

Ace, you would also need a method to press these in as they are not designed for impact use and they require a substantial amount of pressure also. 

Kid Terico

Ace, I have the 2009 Weaver cat. and it isnt shown in it. At least I cant find it. Sorry

outrider

Ace,

The Weaver Catalog has the "US" stamp on page 141 under "Reenactment Hardware"  the last time I checked it was $75.00 and if you get it you will need a good vice or something to press the stamp...it is an impression stamp not an impact stamp.   ooops...sorry Slowhand...didn't see your comment about the compression ;D ;D

Ace...if you are trying for period correctness......another thing to look for..it is my understanding that the "US" stamp was not on Civil War flap holsters and that the military started using it after the war...check with David Carrico on this....he may have a Ordnance Manual that dates that far back
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Kid Terico

Thanks outrider, missed it completely. Must be getting old.

Slowhand Bob

Ace, sorry I missed the whole idea of what you needed, I thought you wanted the holster loops like Sam had on his.  Sorry for the mix-up.  Is this a project that needs to be historically accurate or will 'looks good for a specific pistol' work.  Adding a flap to one of the Slim Jims would be a fairly easy pattern alteration, look good and though perhaps not accurate to a specific military style it would be very much in place with the multitude of holsters made by small shops of the period.  The stamp would be the least of ones worrys when trying to be exact to a martial reproduction as some of the hardware fittings, threads and even the leather itself requires knowledge and sources beyond my realm of knowledge. 

Now for the hook!  I can alter one of my Slim Jim patterns and emboss the flap with either US or CS and leave everything else unfinished for you to finish, OR we can.  If you want more of your personal creativity, you can send me a cut leather holster (flat) of your own design and I will simply emboss it for you. 

Ace Lungger

Howdy Pards,
I want to thank all of you guys for all the help! I promised a friend that I would make him a holster he ask me about, the holster is on page 27 of Packing Iron. I have talked to David and I most likely just pay him to do the embossing, because I don't want to have a $75.00 stamp that I don't ever have ant plans of useing! I was just thinking, that if I had a good embossing, my friend could scan it in his program at work and CNC me one out? You guys have done so much for me, I don't feel that I need to ask anyone for more favors. Most of you guys are trying to make some money at this, and I have no right buggy someone to do something for me!
I am so great full for all the help and advice everyone has given me allready!
I am just so happy that I belong to such a great group of people!! There are not to many groups like you all are!

Later
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Slowhand Bob

You are now beyond my knowledge of metal work but would it not be possible to use the impression as an actual mold?  Most of the new embossing plates I see offered now days seem to be made from a lower temp metal anyway.  If they are dropped on to a cement floor, face down, they are frequently ruined.  Their lack of hardness is why I think these require pressing and do not allow for impact.

Ace Lungger

Bob,
I am sure you are right! I just have access to a couple of good machinest that could mill me one out, if I had the proper pattern!
Thanks
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

outrider

Ace,

The holster on page 27 of Packing Iron is what is known as a "half flap" holster and is from the mid-to late 1800's.  I made one of these holsters years ago and it was alot of fun.  If you notice the flap has two holes for the feneal closure.  The army at that time had issued the SAA Colt and the S&W Schofield to the troops and that holster will accomodate both revolvers.

The specs for a pattern for that holster is in the Ordnance Memoranda No. 29 dated 1891.  David Carrico sells copies of the ordnance manual and can help with this project.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Slowhand Bob

My question, is there much demand for the historically accurate military leather of the pre 1900 era?  Our last Civil War supply closed less than a year ago, thus my browsing place is gone.  I talked with the owner many years ago concerning reproducing the holsters he carried.  I felt sure that I could beat the price he must have been paying, based on his retail price, but boy was I wrong.  My few experiences with retailers have not been real positive.  I'm sure that Will Ghormly would verify that as popular and successful as his patterns have been, it doesnt make the creator wealthy by any means.  I am not bashing retailers as those holsters mentioned above frequently could sit on a shelf for very long periods and that space itself is a huge expense for the small business man.

Ned Buckshot

I really think that a store shelf is not the way to go for many of us, now if you had a clicker, a sewing machine and an underpaid staff to run them turning out dozens a day and shipping to lots of retailers you could probably make some money but not the way we do things around here.

I've tried ventures with various retailers and gun shops in the past and it just doesn't work out very well for either of us in the long run.

Just my experiance on the subject.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com