Leather dye, which do....

Started by Slowhand Bob, September 03, 2009, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

Guys, we frequently have fokes wanting to know how they can get a homogeneous look on their dyed leather projects but over time it has been my experience that most male customers, when viewing the same gun leather design, side by side will most often pick the more natural looking version over the almost vinyl look of a perfect dye finish.  I really think this may go to what Chuck has told us on many occasions, there is a special beauty for that less than perfect factory look in our eyes.  It doesn't necessarily have to look old but I do think men tend to gravitate to a more natural and rustic appearance. in their leather.  This is not universal, nor does it mean sloppy, but I do not think that to great an importance should be given to 'the perfect dye job'.

For some time now I have been using Weaver dye and mixing my own custom colors from their basic four, excluding black, and cutting 50/50 with alcohol to actually show more of the natural leather through the dye and slow color intensity with a more easily controlled mix applied to damp leather.  Weaver also offers a line of several colors and weights of pre-dyed and finished leather that takes on a very pretty but starkly perfect finish, you can literally cut and sew to a finished project.  It has several really good points and a couple of negatives but all in all is a good alternative choice in looks and speed of work.  The point is that those who like this, like it passionately but the majority will normally go with my less than perfect finished look.       

Farmer

I'm in good shape then,......because everything I do is WAYYYY less than perfect ;D ;D

JD Alan

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com