Sticky Henry

Started by malacai, August 31, 2009, 02:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malacai

I think this has been covered before, but I can't find it right now. When I'm shooting BP, the elevator gets gunky and sticks not quite up and not quite down. I can get the end of a close pin between the bolt and the receiver and push it all the way down to extract the fired cartridge. I switched to APP and that helped a bit, but the other day it hung up on the second stage. I had to spray Ballistol all over the action after each stage to keep thing running smoothly. I've smoothed up the sides with emory cloth; do I need to take off more metal?

Mal

Coffinmaker

Malacai,

NO!  Do not remove any more metal.  You didn't mention what caliber your Henry is, but, from your description, I sounds like .45 Colt.  Normally, Uberti built Henrys (thats all there are) have a very "generous" chamber and somewhat excessive head space.  Additionally, the .45 case will not normally expand enough to seal the chamber against "blow-by."  On a stock rifle, without an action job, the only thing powering the Carrier Block down is the right side lever spring.  That spring is heavy enough to use as a Dodge truck spring but still isn't enough to power a fouled carrier.  The carrier normally "stops" in the perfect place to stop the Breach Block (bolt).

For the .45 there are two fixes.  One, just keep spraying the breach block between stages.  I like an equal parts mix of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol.  I don't like Ballistol for anything other than making stiff boots soft.  Two, find your local Cowboy Gun Plumber and have him/her add "Positive Slam Down" to your carrier arm.  Original toggle link rifles had positive contact between the lever and carrier arm all the way down.  Ubertis don't.

With a .45, you will still need to lubricate and keep the fouling of the carrier soft.  the fouling can get really crunchy.  Causes excess wear.

Coffinmaker

will52100

I'd say you need to take a little more off the sides of the carrier.  The orginal henries and winchesters I've seen, granted not many, had very genorus tollarances on the carrier.  Ubertie makes them too tight.  I've seen a Henry's carrier foul to a stop shooting nothing but smokless.  Just take it slow on removing metal or you'll be buying a new carrier.  What I did for a time was everytime I cleaned it I'd take a little off till I was happy.  I could stand to take some more off, but I can go for 2-300 rounds without stopping now.  The other thing is a heavy bullet and a case full of powder.  Trying to light load can cause a lot of blow by.  BTW my Henry is in 45 colt.  I also like to lube the carrier with bore butter after cleaning, seems to help keep fouling soft.

I've tried neck sizing, anealing, ect.  Anealing the mouth of the case makes a vast improvement, but in the end it's more trouble for me than it's worth.  I load 38 grains of 3F black Graf's black powder and a 250 grain PRS big lube bullet and that works great for me.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com