Natural Finish?

Started by Arizona Cattleman, August 30, 2009, 04:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arizona Cattleman

I just finished a check book cover I made from scrap leather.  My question is, how do I finish it in a natural finish?  I have Lexol Conditioner and EcoFlo Super Shene.  Any suggestions.

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Ned Buckshot

I do my "natural" finish with just neatsfoot oil, but I'm sure EVOO would work just as well.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

Freedom

I second the pure neatsfoot oil treatment for a natural finish. On something as thin as your checkbook cover you may want to just apply a few coats of Skidmores and give it some time in the sun. "Too much" neatsfoot is pretty easy to do if the leather is light weight.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Arizona Cattleman

I have heard you all talk about Skidmores, but I am as a newbi and you can get, so if you could explain, and can I get at Tandy's?

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Cattleman

If you don't have a local store you can get it from, you can order it from www.skidmores.com   that's what most do, and it's easy, you could call them and ask if they have a dealer in your part of the country.

Regards

tEN wOLVES

I AGREE THAT THIS LEATHER IS VERY THIN, AND TOO MUCH OF ANY OIL CAN DARKEN IT REAL FAST, A couple thin of coats of  "Skidmores Leather Cream" should work real well.
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Freedom

Quote from: Cattleman on August 30, 2009, 05:36:55 PM
I have heard you all talk about Skidmores, but I am as a newbi and you can get, so if you could explain, and can I get at Tandy's?

Cattleman

I sell it in my shop. You can order it direct from Skidmore's. They sell a little 1oz. jar for around $2. not sure what shipping for such a small order would be but they are good folks.

There are a lot of different products and opinions out there but I think you will continue to use there products if you try some.  I now buy it by the gallon for my personel use.
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Arizona Cattleman

I went to the site(Skidmores)  and I assume you are all talking about the conditioner cream, as I saw no dye or clear finish talked about.  Also if I use the Lexol conditioner that I have, will the sun darken the leather some?

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Arizona Cattleman

Used Gun Tragacanth on the whole project and it came out perfect.  Just what I was looking for.  Have to buff hard, but the results gave a darker aged look with a great sheen.  Pic below

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Dr. Bob

Wow, that look great!! ;D  Looking good Cattleman!!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

GunClick Rick

Was never a big fan of basket weave,but it looks great on your wallet :)Dang you gettin good there pard,i'm gonna have to buck up :-[
Bunch a ole scudders!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Cattleman on August 31, 2009, 12:08:35 AM
Used Gun Tragacanth on the whole project and it came out perfect.  Just what I was looking for.  Have to buff hard, but the results gave a darker aged look with a great sheen.  Pic below

Cattleman
Gum Tregecanth is not a finish, it can be used in the finishing process, but it needs to be covered with a finish, Bag-Kote/Tan-Kote, or your choice of finish, GT will come off or rub off if it gets wet or damp. I use G.T. in all my process of finishing.

Skidmores has a few products, I use the Skidmores Leather Cream, you can use this over your cover as a natural finish, it's a conditioner and a protect ant, you can use it by its self or over an already finished piece, the sun will darken leather all by its self, by using Skidmores it will just make the leather a little darker but will soften the leather as well.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Ace Lungger

Hody Cattleman,  :)
You sure got that Basketweave done to a art!! :o :o Great job! Keep it up!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

JD Alan

Howdy Cattleman, I'm the opposite of Rick (In probably more ways than one  :)) I've always been a big fan of basket stamping, and you've done an excellent job. I started messing with leather about 16 months ago; I say messing because I still have so much to learn, and I've not been able to stay at it consistently.

In my limited experience, each area of leather work: Cutting, sewing, stamping, carving, present their own challenges, but all of them can be improved upon with nothing more than consistent practice, except one. Figuring out the finishing process has been a tough thing to get a handle on for me, with so many methods and products to choose from. I asked more questions on the Forum about this subject than you can believe.

With the other areas, a few tools, some leather and thread, you can do a lot to improve your skills. With the dyeing and final finish, you've got to have that stuff on hand to experiment with, and with so many products to choose from, it can be overwhelming.

In the past year I've purchased small amounts of lots of things, just to see how they affect the leather. I've received lots of helpful advice from many of these skilled Pards, but a big part of the dyeing and finishing is subjective; one fella likes a certain look, while another will point you in a different direction. None of them are wrong, but there are so many ways to accomplish the end result it just about made my head spin at first.

Some of the guys with years of experience have already worked through the different products and processes, and have established what works for them. Except for the expense of gathering the various products together, it's a lot of fun to see how various products, used at different stages and in different combinations turn out. Fortunately, most products come in small amounts, which allows a guy (me, for instance) to accumulate a bunch of things to experiment with.

I have a half dozen pieces now with different combos of dye and finish on them, trying to match a friend's holster color, so I can make him a belt to match. One of them is working out pretty well, and I learn something new about the products and applications every time I try this. I'm starting to settle in on some things that work for me, but I couldn't have done it without the great help from these guys.

I think you're off to a great start, and I look forward to seeing more of your work. God bless, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Arizona Cattleman

Thanks, JD.  Your so right, I will settle in on a few finishes I like and work with them to perfect them, but it is always fun and educational to experiment.  There is so much info here with the great Pards.  I have received so much helpful advice already.  My goal is to make period correct rigs.  I have been wondering how you fit a holster to a gun without buying a replica (Non firing) for each.

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Cattleman on August 31, 2009, 08:34:23 PMI have been wondering how you fit a holster to a gun without buying a replica (Non firing) for each.
Simple, buy the real thing. Ok, Ok, I know what you're saying. I usually make holsters to fit something I have or can borrow. Borrowing is easy if you offer to make one to fit the borrowed pistola.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com