Color Matching

Started by JD Alan, August 29, 2009, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Alan

Howdy Gents. A week ago or so I wrote about a buddy's new holster that wasn't fitting his Blackhawk too well, and he wanted me to try to "stretch" it. I have the picture of it below, and now he wants me to make a belt for him, which I am willing to do, but I want to match the color as close as possible.

The fella he's bought these from says they are Saddle Tan, which I have. However, if I use it straight, it's a whole lot darker.

So here's the question; this color shown on my screen is pretty accurate, so would anyone want to hazard a guess as to how I could go about matching this without a whole lot of test pieces? If that's what it takes, then I am willing to do that, but if someone has some other ideas, I sure would like to hear about them.

Thanks guys, JD

The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

cowboywc

It will depend on who's saddle tan he used, every piece of leather will take dye different as well. I'd try to thin down what you have and do a test on the same leather you are going to make the belt from. You can always add coats to darken. Remember with factory dyes it takes appox 24hrs for the dye to settle to the color it's going to be.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

JD Alan

I didn't know that (the 24 hour part) Thanks WC. I can call him to ask if he's tried to match it, and what brand of saddle tan he's used. He continues to surprise me. He told me today he made a saddle once, and it took him 9 months. I didn't think to ask if he still had it, though I know he still has horses.

If I can get the belt reasonablly close he and I will both be happy!

Thanks again, JD

Skeeter Lewis

JD, it's a drag to cut a dozen or so small pieces of leather and do tests but there are no short cuts. Skeet  ::) ::) ::)

JD Alan

Oh come on Skeeter! I was looking for the "secret short cut solution" then you go and bring reality into the conversation  ::)

Oh well, it never hurts to ask!

JD Alan

OK, another question. I'm finding that Feibings Pro Oil dye in Saddle Tan, mixed 1 part dye to 3 parts EVOO makes a pretty good color match. Is mixing the oil and dye the best way to handle this, or is there a better way? If I mix the oil and dye, should I do any prep on the leather, like case it?

Thanks in advance! JD

cowboywc

Howdy Pal
You don't need to do anything to it.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Freedom

My fiebings saddle tan (the proffesional oil based stuff) looks nothing like the way your holster looks on my monitor.  Saddle tan seems to be more orange/brown. Instead of the rich reds of your holster as it appears on my puter.

I can get pretty close to your color with W&C Russet leather. Wipe well with some neats foot and then the next day add some Skidmore's and put it in the sun immediatly after applying the Skidmore's. 

Hope this helps and just a thought  :)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

JD Alan

Thanks for that info Freedom. I've been to your website, and you do great work. I guess I'm going to have to try to obtain a piece of W&C Russett. I know Chuck Burrows speaks highly of Wickett & Craig, but I don't have a local supplier, though I can buy Herman Oak at Oregon leather (Spendy)

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what the sample looks like after a few hours being dyed and oiled. It was too late for sun, but maybe tomorrow!

Thanks again, JD. And thanks WC!

Slowhand Bob

JD, I usually do my color checking by comparing the different hues on my hands and clothes!  I have been using Weavers dye for several years now and limit my colors to what I can get with their basic five and alcohol.  Sometimes when the color seems right but doesnt, at the same time, the dress coat may be the difference. 

JD Alan

I'm green enough in this to not even know Weaver had dyes. I looked at the Fiebings' color book this morning, and the holster looks closer to mahogany in their book, but I've used mahogany before, and its way darker. I'm going to try mixing some saddle tan and mahogany with oil and see how that goes. The piece that I dyed yesterday with saddle tan and oil and lightened up considerably (big shock) The holster has too much red in it for my tastes, but then it's not my holster. 

It's a learning experience, something I need more of. Thanks Bob, JD

Ned Buckshot

I use Feibings Pro Dye for Saddle Tan straight not mixed with anything. I've found that the more coats you put on the darker it will get.

I've put up to 6 coats on pieces before to match exsisting articles.

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

I'm going to try the same thing Ned. Like Skeeter said, a bunch of pieces! Thanks, JD

Ned Buckshot

Also don't forget about "suntanning". Once I get the pieces to about the color I want them, just a bit lighter. I'll then put it in the sun starting with the darkest piece untill it's the color I'm after. Then continue with the rest of it if any and compare to the first piece. ???

Did that make any sense? ::)

Ned
Ned Buckshot

SASS# 2901   nedbuckshot@gmail.com

SEE MY ADS IN CAS CITY CLASSIFIEDS

JD Alan

Yeah, I got it Ned. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com