Anyone Raised Their Armi Sport Front Sight? **** PHOTOS ADDED by 4 Sixes ***

Started by Patrick Henry Brown, August 28, 2009, 04:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Henry Brown

I am shooting 6" high at 25 yds and 12" high at 50 yds with my Taylor 56-50. My loads are 35 gr. Pinnacle 3FG and Lyman 515139 bullet. According to my calculations, I could raise the front sight by 0.102" and have POI/POA at 25 yds. Has anyone else done this -- raise the front sight? Also, I will probably give Hoots load of 27 gr. of Bp with Lyman 515141 bullet a try. Do you know if the heavier bullet with less powder will lower the POI?  ???

Herbert

i filed down the front sight then put a slot in sight base and put a screw trough to hold various hight front sights,this way i can youse difrent bullets and loads to shoot at difrent distances

Four Sixes

Hi Preacher,

I filed the front sight blade down to its base, cut a slot on the base where the front sight was with dremel. Be careful not to cut the slot too wide. I cut a small piece of 3/16" blade and tap it through the slot, it hold really tight. Then I slowing file the sight down after a grounding of 3 rds to raise the POA to where I want it to be.

Before doing all this, I would suggest finding the best load that will give you the best grouping first. Once you have done that, then you can adjust your POA according  ;D

I had try different bullet weight and different black powder load and different compression and combination. At the end, I settled with Widowmakers' Lee modified bullet mold, 35gr (vol) of FFFg Goex, 0.09" wad, Winchester Magnum Large rifle primer, Annealed Starline brass, OAL: 1.5830-1.5865. I also dip the front of the bullet to my homemake lube just below the edge of the brass.

With that load, I hit 100% on the metal target at 25yd, 50yd and 130yd free standing without loading problem...what a happy day  ;D

Hope this help!

Best of luck!

FourSixes

Two Flints

Four Sixes,

Any chance you could post a really close close-up of your front sight modification?

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

El Tigre

Quote from: Preacher Clint on August 28, 2009, 04:45:12 PM
I am shooting 6" high at 25 yds and 12" high at 50 yds with my Taylor 56-50. My loads are 35 gr. Pinnacle 3FG and Lyman 515139 bullet. According to my calculations, I could raise the front sight by 0.102" and have POI/POA at 25 yds. Has anyone else done this -- raise the front sight? Also, I will probably give Hoots load of 27 gr. of Bp with Lyman 515141 bullet a try. Do you know if the heavier bullet with less powder will lower the POI?  ???

I had the same problem. For the 50 yds range you can use the lower sight
Turn up the sight and you will find it at the base (see picture)
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php...ic,28223.0.html

Two Flints

El Tigre,

Check out your link, doesn't seem to work for me ??? ??? ???

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

El Tigre

Professor Honeyfuggler

Quote from: Four Sixes on August 29, 2009, 10:57:45 AM
I filed the front sight blade down to its base, cut a slot on the base where the front sight was with dremel. Be careful not to cut the slot too wide. I cut a small piece of 3/16" blade and tap it through the slot, it hold really tight. Then I slowing file the sight down after a grounding of 3 rds to raise the POA to where I want it to be...

Thanks for sharing the details FourSixes. i could do that!

I'm curious about the red paint, though. Just educating myself here. What competitions allow that?

Four Sixes

You are very welcome Professor honeyfuggler....my former graduate and PharmD students called me Dr. "Shrek" because of my last name...hahaha  ;D

You are absolutely correct that not that many competitions allow painting the front sight. I did that when I am not competing and I don't compete much either...bad hand shakes, tachycardia, poor eye-sight and lefty, not good combination at all...heehee  :P

Hope those information were useful to all :)

Best regards,

4-Sixes

Professor Honeyfuggler

Quote from: Four Sixes on September 11, 2009, 09:51:34 PMI did that when I am not competing and I don't compete much either...bad hand shakes, tachycardia, poor eye-sight and lefty, not good combination at all...heehee 

Hey, except from the wrong sidedness, I think we'd be a good match for One on One stages. :)

Four Sixes

Quote from: Professor Honeyfuggler on September 12, 2009, 11:22:40 PM

Hey, except from the wrong sidedness, I think we'd be a good match for One on One stages. :)

That would be nice Professor...it would be a perfect pair (I am shooting from the left and you are shoooting from the right) and sure we will hit the target at the middle  ;D Let me know if you are visiting the northern part of IL (I am in Antioch, IL but go shooting at Bristol gun range in WI side).

4-sixes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com