Winchester 94's for CAS shooting ?

Started by Will Pluggum, February 27, 2004, 06:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Hext Finnigan

I think the 94 Win in 45LC has the best reputation.  It only has to accomodate one length of cartridge and the big 45 is closer to a 30-30 than any of the others.

There are good ones, but they just don't make sense to buy unless you have found a great deal.  If you are starting from scratch, there are better choices, especially in 357/38.

Adios,

Will Pluggum

I reckin if a guy wants to do some huntin' with his CAS rifle, the 45LC might have some merit over the .357.
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Big Hext Finnigan

If I were going to get a CAS and hunting rifle, I'd get the 44 mag.  It's got plenty of factory hunting rounds.  In fact, that's what I did.. ;) ;D

Adios,

Will Pluggum

Quote from: Big Hext Finnigan on February 27, 2004, 09:17:49 PM
If I were going to get a CAS and hunting rifle, I'd get the 44 mag.  It's got plenty of factory hunting rounds.  In fact, that's what I did.. ;) ;D
You had achance to run any .44 specials thru it yet?  If so, what do ya think?

Adios,
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Doc Shapiro

It would, but (and be honest with yourself) if you are competitive by nature you'll end up with 357's anyway (and shoot 38's).  Might as well save some money, maybe just get 2 rifles.

Doc

Will Pluggum

Absolutley.  Buy the tool that fits the job.  I was thinking of the guy on a tight budget who was trying to get double duty from his rifle.  If you can only afford one for both, a .45 or .44 mag, that is if your hunting larger game like whitetail deer or such.  If your after javalina, coyote  on down, a .357 would serve nicely.

Big Hext Finnigan

Even if you're not competitive... it might not be worth it.. Everybody has to figure out their own deal.

I bought 44 Mags at first, cause I had a couple S&W 29s and cause I thought I might use them to hunt.  But as I have gotten more dedicated to CAS, I have guns that only see CAS use.  And my deer rifles are my good ol' bolt actions..

It worked out well for me.. in fact, I'm about to sell off all my 44 mag stuff, if your interested.

Adios,

Will Pluggum

Hext..I consider myself to be an above average marksman, no pistolaro mind you, but a fairly good shot.....but I could never hit nothing with a .44mag.  Can't be the pistol, they have proven track record, has to be me.  A favorite story of mine is about a good friend who bought a ruger 44.  One day he was headed out into the desert and saw a rattlesnake in the road.  He pulled over, got out his .44 mag, shot 6 times, and then killed it with a shovel.  That's me with a .44!  Thanks but no thanks....Slim

Paper Chaser

Well, tell you what Pards, soon as my Win '94 comes back from Nate Kiowa I'll give ya'll an updated performance report.  I suspect it'll be super.  Almost bought an original Winchester today (32-20) but $1400 was just TOO much; then of course there was the SRC in 44-40 for $1995, oh well, I can get lots and lots and lots of ammo for that kind of money.  Cheers, smiles, and be SAFE
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Will Pluggum

Paper Chaser.....would like to hear from you after you give your 94 a good work-out.  I'm assuming you sent it out to have speed job done and not for repairs.  Am I right?

Paper Chaser

Sedona, yes indeed. I sent it off to Nate Kiowa for one of his super action jobs.  My Win '94 is a Legacy model with a rebounding hammer, so one has to be careful when 'fooling' around with it.  The lever action is 'longer' also.  I have lots of confidence in Nate and his talent.  I'll let ya'll know after I've had a chance to put it through its new paces.  I'll shoot my normal 45 Colt load:  255 gr bullet; 6.0 gr W231; large pistol primer.
Keep clanging the steel and be SAFE.
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Cyrille

Ah'm shore glad ta see CasCity has a marshal what's got sum sense; couldn't agree more th' Winchester model '94 Trail's End is a sweet shootin lady. Shoots grate rite outta th' box, least thet's mah experance. go fer it!

"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com