BP Lube

Started by Capt. Montgomery Little, August 25, 2009, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Montgomery Little

Have any of you who frequent this wire, used Super Moly or any other type of Moly lube with BP?  What are pros and cons of such usage?

Dick Dastardly

From my experience, Moly and Holy Black don't play well together.  Check out the library and you will fine MANY home made recipes that will serve you well.

Good luck,

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Capt. Montgomery Little

DD,  Thanks for the reply. Have my own lube set-up but am always interested in what may be better. Just happened to see some moly sticks in a Midway USA flyer and wondered. What problem is created when you mix the two?

Dick Dastardly

I got a gummy mess that was hard to get out of the barrel.  Black Powder SASS ammo does not benefit from Moly.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

August

One of the guys I shoot with uses moly coated bullets (bear creek) and circle fly wads (as filler) with holy black.  His guns run just as trouble free as do mine, wherein I use big lube bullets.  He uses no lube on the coated bullets whatsoever (except the moly, of course).

I have asked him about this at many matches.  He probably thinks I'm very absent minded.  But, I've had a hard time believing it can be that simple.  I've shot with him enough over the years that I am certain what he says is true and effective.

Go figure.

As a matter of fact, half the guys I know who use moly coated bullets with holy black swear they have no problems.  The other half swears at the whole idea.  I'm guessing there is some other variable (fugitive lubrication) afoot here.  None the less, the data suggests it's worth a try to mix moly bullets and holy black. 

Of course, moly is very difficult to remove from a barrel once it is cemented in place.  That is its virtue, of course.  Those who like clean barrels have problems with that fact.  It is a lubricant and its tenacity for staying in the barrel is a good thing from that point of view.  Bore Tech makes a moly solvent that seems to work a little better than regular barrel cleaning solvents for getting the stuff out.  Still takes a lot of patches......

Griff

I 'spect that there's a significant difference in both chemical composition and amount between Moly-coated boolits and those that are lubed in the traditional sense (lubri-sizer) with a moly lube.

If a moly-coated bullet is well fitted to groove diameter, there really isn't any contamination between what little lube is left on the barrel walls and the fouling.
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

hoosegowhank

Dick, I have purchased several of your molds and love them all.  I noticed you referenced the library.  Where would I find that reference as I am fairly new to CAS City.

Hoosegow Hank

Dick Dastardly

Howdy Hank,

Good to have you on board.  There's a Child Board at the top of the Darksider's Den.  That's the library.  I should have been more specific.  Click here and it ought to take you there.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,82.0.html

Much accumulated knowledge and wit there.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com