Sore hand

Started by kflach, August 24, 2009, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kflach

I've found that after I shoot Duelist the knuckle of my middle finger on my shooting hand is sore for a few days. When I shoot two handed it isn't. I don't feel any problems when actually shooting. I don't have any problems with the recoil at all (I don't really even notice it).

I'm shooting a heavy gun (Remington NMA) and that's the finger that it rests on so I'm guessing it's the weight of the gun causing it. I love the gun so the soreness is worth it, but I don't know if there are long-term problems that could come from this.

Is there a way I should adjust my Duelist grip or should I just not shoot Duelist with this particular gun?

hellgate

You might see if the trigger guard is hitting your finger under recoil or while cocking. That is one complaint of the smaller framed Remmies like the Euroarms guns. The Pietta has larger grips and the Uberti is somewhere in between. I don't know about the ASM guns.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

kflach

Mine is a Pietta. I got it cause I liked the larger grip, but the space between the grip and trigger guard is a little tighter than I'd like. I like the boom, the smoke, and the fire of the Holy Black so much I haven't noticed if the trigger guard is hitting my finger under recoil.

Cuts Crooked

Try shooting with your pinkie finger under the grip frame. That might adjust your grip jist enuff to stop the problem.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

kflach

Thanks! I'll practice with that adjustment this week and see how it works out.

Dick Dastardly

Give Gunfighter a go.  Tall loads in each hand and no "third" had to take the pressure off.  Anyway, hang in there.  GF is the way to go.  You have an opportunity to engage both mind and body.  Turns out, they work pretty good together.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I agree with Cuts. I'll bet you dollars to donuts you are trying to cram your entire hand onto the grip.

I hang my pinky under the grip of all my single action revolvers. Shooting this way allows me to shift my hand down a bit on the grips, opening up a space of around 1/4" between the rear of the trigger guard and the knuckle of my finger. I can shoot heavy 45 Colt loads all day long out of my revolvers this way, and my knuckle never gets whacked.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

August

Paper tape (see your local pharmacist).  Don't leave home without it.

Ever noticed that Tiger always wears tape on the middle finger of his right hand?

You're using you finger to hold up the weight of the gun and those aren't exactly friendly edges on the trigger guard. 

Tape your finger.

kflach

I got home, got my gun out, and did some experimenting. I found that the grip is big enough that if I put my pinky under the grip frame I can't reach the hammer with my thumb to cock it. Obviously that's necessary to shoot Duelist.

I was actually shooting "Working Cowboy" category but I tried doing the last few stages holding the pistol in a Duelist style.

I've only got the one gun so I can't shoot Gunfighter - unless that is referring to a type of hand positioning instead of a SASS class. I know I've seen videos online showing Gunfighter shooting so I'll see if I can track them down again and look at how they hold their hands.

I'll also check into paper tape. I hadn't thought of trying anything like that but a little extra support might do the trick. Maybe over time my hand will strengthen up. I'd like to be able to have the option of shooting Double Duelist or Gunfighter when I get my next pistol.

Driftwood Johnson

QuoteI got home, got my gun out, and did some experimenting. I found that the grip is big enough that if I put my pinky under the grip frame I can't reach the hammer with my thumb to cock it. Obviously that's necessary to shoot Duelist.

Allow the gun to recoil a bit. Allow the grip to rotate in your hand a bit and the hammer will come into reach of your thumb.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

fourfingersofdeath

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on August 24, 2009, 09:42:52 PM
Allow the gun to recoil a bit. Allow the grip to rotate in your hand a bit and the hammer will come into reach of your thumb.

That's the trick, why do you think they made those grips so smooth and slippery, works a treat.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

kflach

I'll experiment with that at the range a little later this week.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on August 24, 2009, 07:14:18 PM
Howdy

I agree with Cuts. I'll bet you dollars to donuts you are trying to cram your entire hand onto the grip.

I hang my pinky under the grip of all my single action revolvers. Shooting this way allows me to shift my hand down a bit on the grips, opening up a space of around 1/4" between the rear of the trigger guard and the knuckle of my finger. I can shoot heavy 45 Colt loads all day long out of my revolvers this way, and my knuckle never gets whacked.

ditto +1

I was use to shooting full house loads years ago, and would go through a brick of 45 long Colt  in one day of shooting, that's 500 rounds, I was sponsored back then and could shoot all I wanted, but Driftwood and the others are right , most Pards have hands that are larger than the grip on a SAA, or Remington , by dropping your pinky you take the pressure off your middle finger which will then allow you to have a more controllable and comfortable grip on your gun, dropping your pinky under the the bottom of the grip will also allow you more control and allow the gun to move back in recoil, which allows you to thumb cock your next shot with ease, don't have a death grip on your gun either, you want a firm grip without the white knuckles, to much of a grip will fatigue your hand or hands, and after about a box of ammo you will notice your hands shaking a little, and it harder to stay on target, between stages you can also exercise your fingers by  pulling your fingers backwards and hold them in a stretch for a few seconds,this helps to get the blood flowing back to the hand and relaxes the muscles in your hand and fingers,  do several reps. in each hand, this really helps the fatigue, it just takes practice, lots of shooting, and after a while you will become ONE WITH THE GUN.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Daniel Nighteyes

Quote from: kflach on August 24, 2009, 09:29:30 PM
I got home, got my gun out, and did some experimenting. I found that the grip is big enough that if I put my pinky under the grip frame I can't reach the hammer with my thumb to cock it. Obviously that's necessary to shoot Duelist.

I shoot Duelist, both single and double, and I have large palms but short fingers.  I've found that I have the same problem with my Pietta NMAs, but not with my Uberti NMAs (which is good because I regularly shoot the Ubertis).  The "grip geometry" is just enough different.  I'm in the process of slightly re-contouring the hammer spurs on my Piettas.

Noz

This is interesting. As I have become more and more experienced as a Frontiersman shooting 1860 Armys duelist style, my grip has changed from the pinky under to all fingers on the grip and now my hand rides very high, just low enough for the hammer to reach full cock before it touches my hand. When I tried to shoot with the pinky under I was getting the knuckle bump but no longer. When I'm shooting well now the web of my hand, between thumb knuckle and first finger knuckle is virtually parallel to the ground in a natural pointing position.
After a shot is fired the three outboard fingers hold the gun in place while the thumb cocks.
I've never watched anyone else's hand position.

Dalton Masterson

Noz, the hand forward up under the hammer way that you do it, is the way I have always shot my Remmys. Just seems more natual for my. I also get rapped when I try to change the hold.
One of mine will rap me on occasion, but it hasnt happened enough to notice why its doing it.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Steel Horse Bailey

I don't see where anyone else asked, but is the trigger guard squared off on the back side?  My 1st Model Colt Dragoon has the squared trigger guard and it regularly bites my hand.

I'll bet that's why ya don't see 'em on new guns. (new gun designs, NOT repro guns)

I have smallish palms and moderately long fingers.

Have fun!

Here's a picture of my C & B guns.  You can see the difference on the Dragoon (top Left) vs. the 1860 Army. (top Right)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

kflach

Mine is like the 1860 Army, not the Dragoon.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: kflach on August 25, 2009, 06:20:21 PM
Mine is like the 1860 Army, not the Dragoon.

Just a thought.  Good luck!

SHB
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com