Bad oil

Started by Dick Dastardly, August 21, 2009, 04:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

I mean bad gun oil.  I've never had any, but there are so many products on the market touting their qualities that I wonder if competition hasn't driven the junk oil off the market.

Regardless, our own Marshall sells a superb product and it's the stuff I put on the cylinder base pins of my C&B guns.  I love it on my 1860s and have found no substitute as good.

Anyway, is there any "bad" oil out there?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Dick

I agree, there is oil and then there is the quality oil that a number of maker sell, but I have to agree with you the stuff the Marshal sells here at Cas City is by far the best oil/lube I've ever used, I use it in all my guns now, for me, I can feel the difference.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

44caliberkid

For blackpowder revolvers I just use Crisco or my winter mix Big Lube bullet lube on cylinder pins and bores.  For a protective, external finish, I read on a gun collectors forum years ago, that Johnson's Wax was the way to go over oil.  Provides a protective, shiney finish that works on all surfaces (metal, wood, ivory, plating) and doesn't attract dirt or dust.  For a $3 can, they'll throw away the leftover after you're dead.

john boy

For 5 bucks a quart, might want to try Marvel Mystery Oil!  ;)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

I've been using Johnsons Paste wax for years, although I switched to Min-Wax paste about 25 years ago, I won't say one is better than the other, but they work great, years ago I was building a Hawken Rifle and browned all the metal, after the browning I gave it an oil bath, I dried it off and put about three coats of Min-Wax, boy that sucker came out beautiful, I started off using Johnsons paste for protecting my shop tools band saw tables/ table saw tops, any and all machines that had metal, it keeps things from RUSTING, and also reduces any drag on your wood when passing them through your piece of machinery, clean up is a breeze too because the sawdust doesn't cling to anything, usually three coats of either wax does the trick.
    I now use the wax to coat most of the outside metal on my long guns and a few revolvers, your right 44 Caliber Kid, it's cheap and it works.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

J.D. Yellowhammer

Never had any bad gun oil.  But the reason I'm posting is not to answer your question, DD. Sorry. It's to ask 2 more... :P

Where's the Marshall's oil? I looked through the classifieds and other areas of this website, but couldn't find it ennywhar.

Also, has anyone used Hoppes MDL, Moisture Displacing Lubricant?  I( haven't used it on any of my guns, yet, but it did pretty well on some old knives and tools that were showing rust.)  It's got petrochemicals in it, so it wouldn't be good for black powder arms. But it seems like if would be a good protectorant for smokeless. (please pardon the blasphemy!)
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: J.D. Yellowhammer on August 21, 2009, 10:15:14 PM
Never had any bad gun oil.  But the reason I'm posting is not to answer your question, DD. Sorry. It's to ask 2 more... :P

Where's the Marshall's oil? I looked through the classifieds and other areas of this website, but couldn't find it ennywhar.

Also, has anyone used Hoppes MDL, Moisture Displacing Lubricant?  I( haven't used it on any of my guns, yet, but it did pretty well on some old knives and tools that were showing rust.)  It's got petrochemicals in it, so it wouldn't be good for black powder arms. But it seems like if would be a good protectorant for smokeless. (please pardon the blasphemy!)

Howdy J.D.Yellowhammer, I think Dick and I are talking about the same oil, it seems they aren't advertising on Cas anymore, but here is there web site.  http://www.gunbutter.com/team-todd.htm, you can order right from them if you're interested, I don't work for them or have stock in there company, I just find there oil to be be really special, I've taken guns that already had high quality oil on them and cleaned the gun completely with Gun scrubber and then re oiled with GB and was blown away at smooth my action was, and best part is the gun got even smoother as I used it, Good Stuff to say the least

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

J.D. Yellowhammer

Thanks, Ten Wolves.  I reckon I need to try that stuff!
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Marshal Halloway

The Gun Butter lubricant can be found here: http://www.gunbutter.com/
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

J.D. Yellowhammer

Quote from: Marshal Halloway on August 22, 2009, 10:08:10 AM
The Gun Butter lubricant can be found here: http://www.gunbutter.com/

Thanks, Marshall.  Ordered some this mornin'.  ;)

Delmonico

Quote from: john boy on August 21, 2009, 06:09:35 PM
For 5 bucks a quart, might want to try Marvel Mystery Oil!  ;)

Also can dump it down the carb while the engine is running and it will help restore valve seals and sticky lifters. 
don't know how it would work with fuel injection. ;D

Great lube for air tools also.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com