Removing Snaps from a Holster

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, August 21, 2009, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowhand Bob

WC, kinda like a fishhook, once its in the best way out is to push it on through!  OUCH  It is a tedious technique but, in my mind, far better than ripping out main seams to get at the sewing job and all that is entailed to get things back right.  Wadds project is just barely into the mouth of the holster and would normally be easy to apply a stiffener to, using short needles and small needle nose pliers but his holster being so tiny, and these little guns and holsters are small, requires a different technique.  More so than saving a really high dollar holster, I would look at this as a way to pick up a new skill while upgrading a usable little holster.

What would you guys think about just adding the fringed deerskin or suede sewn to just the very top edge and glued far enough down to cover the damaged area?  A frontiersman look for a frontiersman gun and only requires a fairly easy sewing job at the top edge.  This style holster is usually pretty expensive hen found on custom makers web sites and Tandy used to sell deer fringe by the foot?? at reasonable prices.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Wad

These are all good ideas, but I think you need to put them on the back shelf for now, you're just now starting to learn about leather crafting, and need to hone your skills before tackling, some projects like this, after you have learned the basics you can easily make a new holster for that little gun that will fit better too, for now I wouldn't overwhelm yourself with work you don't have the skills for right now, just enjoy the process of learning and you will know what you want to do with this holster in time. IMHO

Best Regard Pard

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

WaddWatsonEllis

Ten Wolves,

Good point about taking baby steps. I think that I may cement a small leather concho on, possiblly tack it in a couple of places, and leave it until I start thinking about making my first holster ... making one for a pocket pistol might be a good starting project.

But each of the excellent suggestion I am tucking into a mental closet to be used when I start that new project ....

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

Sounds like a smart plan Wadd and I wonder if you would mind shooting a couple of shots of that small Remington sometimes and posting them so we (I) can get a better look.  I have a friend who owns one but just looking at your grip, yours seem to be in much batter shape.  I have two of the little repros with the spur triggers but wish the Italians would have done it right and copied one like yours. 

WaddWatsonEllis

Hello,

First, I must admit that I bought this weapon on CAScity.com 'cause he had already done what I wanted to do to a Remmie Pocket Pistol.

First, the conversion was done at Armsport LLC ... I later found out he (Robert Millinton) was one of the better gunsmiths to have this done by. Rather than a Kirst-style two piece cylinder, his cylinders are bored straight through, and he adds a loading gate to the right rear shoulder of the frame aft of the cylinder. The way that I had wanted to have one done.
His website is:

http://armsportllc.net/index.htm

Secondly, I have never liked the spur trigger being out in the open like that ... visions of shooting off some of my most precious parts when trying to remove the pistol from a pocket always come to mind. Probably extremely unlikely, but still.....

So when I saw that the previous owner had not only converted it but taken the time to remove the spur trigger housing and fashion a replacement trigger guard from solid brass, well I was sold. The little gun looks like a baby dragoon or something similar ....

Our club shoots pocket pistol in two or three stages at each meet; I can't wait to try this little one out!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

MY MY MY, you have me hooked now, I thought this was an original period firearm like one a friend has.  Hmm, I wonder if a good smith could do this using a fitted Bear Cat trigger guard.  I would say that a milling machine would be a BIG plus for a job like this.  Thanks for running the pictures by me, it sure has my brain figuring in high gear right now.

WaddWatsonEllis

Slowhand,

Nope, it is a Pietta Model 1863 Reproduction, with modern mettalurgy throughout.

BTW, I spoke with Mr Millington shortley; he remarked that he will not do conversions on brass frames' has to be blued steel.

The original spur trigger houseing is simplicity in itself. The aft of the trigger housing is a fitted toungue that slided into the frame jus forward of the grips, and the forward part is held in place by a screw. So if one had acess to a metalworking bandsaw and some 3/4" stock, all it would take would be a lot of patience to make one up. I think as a woodworker, that the skills I have would do me to make one ... it just would not be as pretty as the one that is already made and in place on the weapon.

I am including some pics of the weapon and the spur trigger housing.

My little camera is a first generation model, and the detail on this kind of thing is not that good ....hope you can see what you need....

NCOWS #3403

Marshal Will Wingam

That's really nice, WW. It looks like one could modify a standard 1858 trigger guard to fit easily. A little more steelwork on the trigger and you're done. I like it a lot. Lessee, if I did one of those, it would need a nice, new holster....... ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Slowhand Bob

That would be my next question, what gun did the trigger guard come off of, a full size '58?  It looks a little oversize for the gun but that would be necessary for a mans sized pointer to fit through, but yet, t does not look as big as I would imagine for a '58.

Marshal Will Wingam

Bob, rather than derail this thread by posting off topic here, I'm sending you an email with a pic.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

JD Alan

Back to the Jerk Needle; I'm relieved to find out it doesn't have anything to do with newbie sewers :P

I punctured my finger with a utility knife blade Friday night, cutting a piece of leather to stiffen up a shotgun slide for a friend. Clumsy is as clumsy does. (Modified Forest Gump)
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

outrider

WW,
Instead of gluing a leather concho why not install one permently with a running knot strip  see attached photo
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi Outrider,

That looks really good. The problem is that I have two other very 'plain Jane' holsters next to it, and I am trying to get them all to look homogenous.

But if I could find a one inch leather concho about the same color (I know, I know, slim chance), that would be the best idea I think ... something that at first glance would look like the maker's stamps on the original holsters.....

NCOWS #3403

Professor Honeyfuggler

Just thinking outside the box a little, since so much sensible advice has already been offered already...

I was thinking you could prop that holster up on a post and fire a round through it where the snap hole is, and then work up a backstory about the time some bushwhacker almost got you...

WaddWatsonEllis

Professor,

I like the idea of that ... actually the hole is about 9mm size ....maybe got it while fighting the Bloody Hun with their Lugers?

Reminds me of the old military wag, 'If you can't impress them with knowledge, baffle 'em with Boolsheet...'

NCOWS #3403

WaddWatsonEllis

Actually it looks like I am going to have alot more time to work on this project.

Just took the gun out ... with .32 S&W rounds, first the rounds could not be fitted into the gate ... had to remove the whole cylinder .... then (Second), the empty cartridges jammed so hard in the cylinder bores that it took forcing them out with a dowel from the 'barrel' side of the removed cylinder to get them out. And (Third) the sights were so badly off that I did not even get on a target at 25 feet ... so it looks like more CAFL money to send it back to the gunsmith who did the conversion.

So it looks like I have plenty of time to fix the hole while I wait for the whole gun to come back from a gunsmith.....

Sigh .....

NCOWS #3403

Arizona Cattleman

Tip on your picture taking that might get them in focus. Most new cameras have a feature with auto focus.  To do it you just press the button half way for a second then continue all the way until camera snaps the pic.  Hope that helps.

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

WaddWatsonEllis

Cattleman,

Unfortunately, 'new' and my camera are separate things ... I have an original first generation Casio Exilim camera ... 'twas given to me when a friend who is a photographer wanted one with 'more capability'.

I figure that, for the price, I can put up with fuzzy pics ... LOL.

But thanks for the thought ....

NCOWS #3403

Arizona Cattleman

No prob Pard, my last camera was a 126 film camera ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cattleman
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Slowhand Bob

I know I am several promises behind on hear BUT I'll make another anyway...  Just as a project I will find a finished holster and take pictures while I add some fringe around the top by stitching with a jerk needle.  UHHHH, but not right now, the wife is hollering for me to spend some quality time with the lawn mower.  I swear, grass along the southeast coast grows faster than kudzu!   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com