Removing Snaps from a Holster

Started by WaddWatsonEllis, August 21, 2009, 11:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaddWatsonEllis

Hi,

I just bought the nicest 1863 Remington Conversion to .32 S&W to use as a pocket pistol in stages requiring one.

My problem is with the holster, which is a modern 'hunter style'.

The problem is with snaps , which were first copywrited (I believe) in 1924.

The safety strap was not a problem ... cut that puppy off ... if I ever want to do handstands, I will be sure to give someone all my weapons before I do.

I have two more problems, though:

1.) The holster itself has a through-the-holster male strap mounted that used to connect to the now-removed hammer safety strap... I can take a pair of pliers and rip it out, but with what do I cover the 3/8ths inch hole? I could put a leather concho in there, but if there are any metal on the inside of the connectors, it would be rubbing right against the cylinder . So what do I do coach?

2. The belt loop is the top of the holster being folded over and attached with a strap at the bottom. No problem; a pretty traditional way to do the belt strap. Except for the brass snap that connects the strap at the bottom.  Looks like my best bet again is to rip that snap out and replace it with a copper boatmakers rivet ....

But I am holding doing anything besides cutting off the strap for the best idea from you leather workers.

What do you think I should do?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

JD Alan

I realize I'm just about the last person that should be offering advice here, but having said that, you could put a concho or a leather rosette of some sort in place of the snap. You could most likey do the same thing on the keeper strap. Just a thought. JD   
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

Thanks for giving your .02 ... it is always warranted and appreciated!

I have already pulled the holster male strap and the rivet that held on the leather hammer safety strap .... both were resting on the cylinder ... I mean, I am clumsy enough to be able to cause scratches all by myself without setting myself up for metal-on-metal rubbing ...

And you know, I think a rosette would just cover that snap hole nicely .... gonna have to look in the Tandy catalog for leather rosettes ... and the rosette, if a simple oval or circle thingy, would kind of echo Will Ghormley's maker marks on the Schofield holsters ... great idea!

Gotta get off to an appointment right now ... will check with you after I come back!

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Wad

I personally would have left the holster alone, sometimes you can create more problems than it's worth trying to change things, I know because I've been there done that, but now you need to get the snap out and off the holster, put a piece of wood inside the holster so you have something as a backer, then use the right size drill bit to drill and knock off the lock on the snap, then use needle nose pliers to pull it out, you can then use a dime or nickel to make a circle on some thin 3 to 4 ounce veg-tan leather, cut the circle out, if you had a little more experience you could Skive the the outside edges down a little, but with 3/4 ounce leather it should make to much difference rough up the hole area on the outside of the holster with sand paper, use leather contact cement, be careful when you put on your patch and the holster, you only want it on the side that is going to be glued, let the glue set up for about 10 minutes then carefully put the patch over the hole, if a dime or nickel size patch is too small for you to handle try the size of lid of a water bottle, lightly tap the patch down on the holster using the wood as a back up in the holster. if the holster is dyed, dye the patch before you do your gluing so that the dye will stay on the leather in case you get glue on your leather, otherwise try to keep it clean, you can use EVOO OR Neatsfoot oil when done.

The other strap you can also drill out, and if the hole is not too damaged you can use a copper rivet, if the hole is too large try using a #9 copper rivet, it should cover the hole and hold well. by the way the snap fastener has been around since 1885,so it is still period correct, it was more heavily used in the 1900's, but was still used in the late 1800's check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_fastener

This is what I would do, I'm sure you will hear from others. I know you're new at this so do what your comfortable with doing.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Slowhand Bob

You are lucky indeed if the current installation isn't already scratching your gun.  I had an early Hunter model scratch the bejeez out of a brand new Super Blackhawk way back when and I sure wasn't happy.  At any rate the prettiest and most natural looking fix would be to remove the snap and then sew on a contrasting stiffener around the mouth of the holster.  A bit of a pain to sew to an already completed holster but definitely do-able, even if you have to resort to a jerk needle!  The finished results would look like part of an actual design feature and might even offer a positive benefit.  This would also serve as a great practice for some repair jobs that might come up in the future, nothing like needing to resew the bottom stitches of a Slim Jim belt strap back down to test ones patience with a jerk needle.

PS:  Another thought that might require someone with spot setters would be to set one medium/large spot over the visible snap impression and a couple or three smaller spots just below it in some sort of visually pleasing arrangement.

Dalton Masterson

I was thinking the spot arrangement as well. Use a larger one to cover the hole, and smaller ones to make it pretty and not just a tacked on spot.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

WaddWatsonEllis

I certainly am an FNG... don't even know what 'spots' you are referring to ....

BTW .... I was able to remove the rivet that held the strap on and the snap in the side of the holster ... but the snap left an approximately 3/8 inch hole in the side of the holster to cover somehow....

NCOWS #3403

Dalton Masterson

By spots, we mean the little domed studs you see on stuff.

Looking at your holster again, I can see a nice decorative patch sewn on over the hole as well. Something contrasting, and with some scallops around the edge maybe.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

WaddWatsonEllis

Dalton,

The Schofield holsters have Will Ghormleys oval trademark on them.

So, like you, I was thinking of something like Tandy's Leather Concho .... first, stamp some kind of circlular pattern that would echo Will's trademark on the other holsters, and then get it sewn on .... 

Trouble is that the smallest leather Concho they have is 1 3/4" ... and I don't know how something that big would look ... I suppose I would have to cut a paper round spot that big and see how it would look ....

What do y'all think?

NCOWS #3403

Judge Lead

It may be possible to use a lace on concho and use a blood knot to tie it on with.

It will involve cutting 2 slots for the lace to pass through, but one of them could be where the hole that has been left WAS.

No metal to rub on the cylinder and also period correct materials being used.

Just a thought.
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

WaddWatsonEllis

Judge,

I am thinking kinda the same ... but with a medical twist ....

If I glued on about a 1 inch leather concho with some leather contact cement, it would hold it long enough to get some out of date clear nylon suture material and use an intradermal mattress stitch to fasten the leather concho to the leather ... after all, leather is just thick dried and formed skin ... *S*

Or I might have someone do it, if I can afford it ....

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

I am thinking the less the better in that area of the holster and with this being right in line with the cylinder entry you need to be extra careful the no metal cuts the gun.  I still like the mouth stiffener as it would be low key, only stitches intrude inside the holster, some actually consider them decorative and actually offers the advantage for which stiffener are used anyway.  The downside is the extra work required to accomplish the blind stitching on the inside of an already completed holster. There is no great skill involved but it is time consuming.  If you are not in a great rush to get it done perhaps I can do a bit of a web search tonight and find an example of what I am talking about.  Gotta go now as the match starts shortly!

WaddWatsonEllis

Slowhand,

That sounds like an interesting idea too ... I look forward to seeing your illustrations.

About the only leatherworking tool I have is a sailors palm and a sail needle ... so i am trying to find a way that would need as little leatherworking tools as possible.....

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

At several dollars each jerk needles are a little pricey but perhaps one could be made from a worn out leather sewing machine needle, has anyone ever tried to make one in this manner?   The jerk needle, one standard needle (your sail needle) and awl (can be made from a nail) is the only requirement.  Ill look around on the web now for an example of a holster with the stiffener and get back.

WaddWatsonEllis

I've got about two months until I will need it ..... and so I have a bit of time to figure it out ... as far as the needles and awl, I thought I might get one of those 'wheels' that leave an imprint of where lacing holes must go, and then get a very fine drill and use my drill press to make the holes .... Then I could use a smaller sail needle, the sailor's palm and some saddle thread to actually do the job.

Does this sound like it might work?

NCOWS #3403

Slowhand Bob

Sounds like a plan to me.  I was able to find three good examples but I do no know how to get the pictures to show up here, or even if it is possible.  The up side is that they are on our "show us your stuff" which is the top one on the leather forum.  First go to page 253 and you will find pictures posted about half way down by Pokey Packrat.  These are the style stiffeners I was primarily referring to, they are designed to serve a practical function aside from the decorative.  The on page 269, about half way down, you will find a picture posted by Bad Hombre.  This style is pretty much to add a decorative touch and and would not perform much in the way of stiffening the mouth of the holster.  The last one I found is also by Bad Hombre and about half way down page 255.  This one does somewhat a double duty, the leather is heavy enough to add stiffness while it has the decorative spots to offer a bit of pizazz.  One like the fringed version would probably be the easiest to sew if the bottom stitch line were located just below your snap hole.  Sewing inside a closed holster is aggravating enough without placing the stitches way down deep.  This will be one of those skills that will come in handy one day when a friend asks "Can you fix this"?  Your experience with blind sewing will teach you to say NO with lots of gusto.       

JD Alan

What is a Jerk Needle? I've googled the term, but I can't find anything that describes it. Sort of an "Inquiring minds" question. Thanks, JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

WaddWatsonEllis

JD,

Thanks for asking ... I didn't have a clue either ... figured everybody else did though.

NCOWS #3403

cowboywc

A jerk needle has the eye at the front like a machine needle but the side is open to catch the thread.
When you are working in a tight space and can not get a needle in from both sides you can use a jerk needle from one side to hook the thread and pull it through.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

cowboywc

You have to be very carefull using one as they can go into fingers real easy but they do not come out. Everyone I've known that hs stabbed themselves has had to go to the ER to have it removed.
BE CAREFULL.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com